Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Recoil Pad Question

Boolit Bub

Recoil Pad Question

What type recoil pad works best with the cresent butt plate on the Winchester 1885 Hi Wall? I need one for 3/4 to 1 inch added length and would prefer a leather pad with lace up or velcro fastener.
    Thanks,
    G

go to 'track of the wolf' and look at the lace-up pads. you will want the small one and then find some dense foam to fill the crescent with...you will have to carve it to make the curve straight . then install the lace-up pad and lace it very tight and i took the lace tails and wove them back under the lacing s in the pad for a tucked in ...very period like look.

this works very well ...ive done this to two '85' 45-70's which i use for pretty high end loads. works great for the recoil dampening as well as lengthening the pull that i need for my long arms.

oh yea...welcome to the forum!

i just went to tow and it seems as if they discontinued the lace-up pad...went to mid usa and they dont seem to have them either. ill find them and let you know where to shop for em...srry for the bad info.

ok...here they are at buffalo arms. they are 33 dollars and some change. just what the doctor ordered.
    Last edited by bigted; 07-22-2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: found item

Boolit Master
    I used a slip on decellerator pad with a piece of styroform cut for the curve. It seams to work on my Ballard 45-70

Boolit Master

Remember the cresent butt is sholdered different than a regular butt. It should fit the ball of the sholder rather than being pulled close in.
    I shoot my 1885 short rifle with no pad and no pain.
    Last edited by Shooter; 07-23-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: SP
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

If you trying to bench sight in a curved butt rifle see if you can find one of the high tables used by the shotgunners in patterning their cannons while standing up to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Remember the cresent butt is sholdered different than a regular butt. It should fit the ball of the sholder rather than being pulled close in.
    I shoot my 1885 short rifle with no pad and no pain.
    the pain for me is negligible. the thing i have as a problem is the length of pull. im 6 foot 5 inch tall...[hence the name 'bigted'] and they generally do not make guns with enough length of pull for my long arms and long neck so when i crunch up on a 13 or 13.5 inch length of pull rifle...my nose is generally rubbing the outside of my outter thumb and if there is any recoil at all then my poor ol snoz gets a bumpin that i dont really care for.

i do have a muzzle loader that is long enough for me and im very familiar with how to shoulder a curved butt plate....however when i install one of those lace-up pads on a crescent after filling the curve with dense foam...i get the length of pull i want and generally this puts my cheek in a slightly lower area...[drop] and life is cherry again.

long explanation but if there are other behemoth fellers out there that have trouble with this then there is an idea fer ya to try.heck i even installed this style pad on my hi-wall 38-55 with a #4 contour barrel that is heavy enough to absorb all the recoil just for the length of pull needs i require..............

Boolit Master
    Frank G.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    the pain for me is negligible. the thing i have as a problem is the length of pull. im 6 foot 5 inch tall...[hence the name 'bigted'] and they generally do not make guns with enough length of pull for my long arms and long neck so when i crunch up on a 13 or 13.5 inch length of pull rifle...my nose is generally rubbing the outside of my outter thumb and if there is any recoil at all then my poor ol snoz gets a bumpin that i dont really care for.

i do have a muzzle loader that is long enough for me and im very familiar with how to shoulder a curved butt plate....however when i install one of those lace-up pads on a crescent after filling the curve with dense foam...i get the length of pull i want and generally this puts my cheek in a slightly lower area...[drop] and life is cherry again.

long explanation but if there are other behemoth fellers out there that have trouble with this then there is an idea fer ya to try.heck i even installed this style pad on my hi-wall 38-55 with a #4 contour barrel that is heavy enough to absorb all the recoil just for the length of pull needs i require..............

Length of Pull is the only reason I asked the original question. I'm almost 6'7" and have arms like an Orangutan. I decided not to go with the Winchester with the curved butt but instead bought a Browning with the Shotgun Style Butt. I will still ned to increase the LOP but it will be much easier with the Browning.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Boolit Master

Lace-on covers are available at www.whyteleatherworks.com They can be made longer if you need to fill the with foam, either for recoil or longer LOP.

Boolit Bub

Lace on covers

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Lace-on covers are available at www.whyteleatherworks.com They can be made longer if you need to fill the with foam, either for recoil or longer LOP.
    Thanks, I'll take a look.