Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Rifle/Caliber to cast for ?

Boolit Bub

Good Rifle/Caliber to cast for ?

I am looking for a good rifle to cast boolits for, in an easy caliber to cast and load. Looking for a combo that has the least hassle.....like I said, easy. I collect old service rifles, so I may have one that is suitable, just looking for recommendations and info. This will probably end up as a plinker, but may be used as a bush/hunting gun in the future.

I currently have: Swedish Mauser M96 in 6.5x55 , Gewehr 88 in 8mm, Finnish M39 in 7.62x54, Finnish M91 in 7.62x54, 1943 German Mauser in 8mm, 1917 Enfield in 30-06, and Lee Enfield No1 MkIII in 303 brit. I dont mind buying a rifle, as long as it isnt too expensive. I did find an older (1970's) Winchester 94 in 30-30 for $200. There is also a Marlin/Glenfield lever action 30-30 rifle that I would possibly get for around the same price, but I have heard that they have micro groove rifling, which isnt good for cast boolits. Several have recommended the 30-30 as a beginner rifle for casting, but others have said that the 30-30 case needs to be trimmed after every firing. Some have recommended a lever gun in 45colt. That would be great , but I havent found one for a decent price. They seem to demand a premium over their 30-30 chambered bretheren.

I have plenty of wheel weight alloy to cast. I have very little linotype. Would wheel weight alloy with a gas check work?

Any help/info/recommendations would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Sapper771; 07-13-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Boolit Master

Any of those should do very well with cast. The 8mm and 30 calibers might be easier than the 6.5. Be sure you slug your bores and choose boolits/sizers slightly larger (.001-.002ish).

Start with light loads, and read all you can on this site, tons of great info here. Ask questions, we do not mind answering, also the search function works rather well for things that are asked often.

Boolit Grand Master
    Of your firearms you have listed, I'd think that your
    1917 Enfield in 30-06, should get you some fairly
    quick success with cast bullets.

Pick the correct design and size it properly and load it
    with 16 grs. of 2400 and you're off to the races.

This group was fired with a 1917 :

Boolit Master

I had a 1917 30-06 and it was a very good cast shooter....I would start with that one

Boolit Grand Master

Think Ben is right. However all of the others will shoot cast IF you find the right combination of size, lube, charge etc. Part of the fun is getting there, but it can be frustrating with some of the others.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

To specifically answer your question the 30-30 is probably the easiest and most satisfying simply because you can do everything the cartridge was designed to do with cast. You don't look at your cast loads as less than the equivelant condom loads, they are running at the same speed.

No, you don't have to trim cast loads in the 30-30 any more often than condom loads. Again, the big advantage is that they are functionally the same. Makes it easier to understand. You can even use the same powders. You need a flat nosed boolit for a lever action, you probably want a gas check boolit to wring the most out of it. Yes, ww's will work, and even better is a 50/50 mix of ww's and lead. This is much better if you want to shoot anything other than paper. Terminal ballistics are much better with the softer mix.

If you use a bigger cartridge case you will be essentially making that cartridge into a 30-30 when you use it with cast boolits. You do have the potential to do more, but that is not an introduction to casting, the 30-30 is.

Bascally you are looking at relatively low pressure rounds to easily shoot cast. I love my 32-20's with cast, another low pressure round. The higher pressure cartridges are possible but more difficult.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

My first choice would be the 30-06 and my second the 8mm. Whoever told you that Microgroove barrels don't do well with cast bullets was misinformed.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for the imput.

I have 30-06 ammo that I can easily turn into brass. I also have a set of RCBS 30-06 dies that I got in an estate sale. Do I need to look into getting any specialized die for cast boolits? I had to get creative with my 9mm cast bullets due to the case swaging the boolit down. Is this going to be an issue with the rifle brass too?

I will more than likely get a Lee two cavity mold for the purpose. Can anyone recommend a 30 cal Lee Gas check mold ?

Boolit Bub
    I have never messed with gas checks. Where is a good place to purchase them?

I will also need the proper lube sizer die and top punch for my Lube a matic 2.

Boolit Master

Don't overlook a nice 35 caliber if you go out to purchase something different. A 30-06 is never a bad choice however.

Doug

I can't help you with Lee molds as I don't use them. There are plenty of folks who do and they can make suggestions.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I love 45-70 for cast

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    To specifically answer your question the 30-30 is probably the easiest and most satisfying simply because you can do everything the cartridge was designed to do with cast. You don't look at your cast loads as less than the equivelant condom loads, they are running at the same speed.

No, you don't have to trim cast loads in the 30-30 any more often than condom loads. Again, the big advantage is that they are functionally the same. Makes it easier to understand. You can even use the same powders. You need a flat nosed boolit for a lever action, you probably want a gas check boolit to wring the most out of it. Yes, ww's will work, and even better is a 50/50 mix of ww's and lead. This is much better if you want to shoot anything other than paper. Terminal ballistics are much better with the softer mix.

If you use a bigger cartridge case you will be essentially making that cartridge into a 30-30 when you use it with cast boolits. You do have the potential to do more, but that is not an introduction to casting, the 30-30 is.

Bascally you are looking at relatively low pressure rounds to easily shoot cast. I love my 32-20's with cast, another low pressure round. The higher pressure cartridges are possible but more difficult.
    I have to agree with the 30-30, it's a great caliber for cast boolits. As far as getting the Winchester or the Marlin, that would be your choice. I prefer the Marlin myself and I shoot cast in mine without any problems. I have several Lee 2 cavity molds that I use for handgun calibers, but I didn't have too much luck with their .30 cal 150 grain fn mold. I now have the Ranch Dog 165 grain mold that was designed to be used in the 30-30 and it works great. It will cost you $60 versus a $20 Lee, but it works and being a 6 cavity mold you can really crank out some boolits.

Boolit Master
    lyman 311291 or 31141 in most any 30cal and as stated above 16grns of 2400 (the load) will do you just fine to start with...
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper771 View Post
    Thank you for the imput.

I have 30-06 ammo that I can easily turn into brass. I also have a set of RCBS 30-06 dies that I got in an estate sale. Do I need to look into getting any specialized die for cast boolits? I had to get creative with my 9mm cast bullets due to the case swaging the boolit down. Is this going to be an issue with the rifle brass too?

I will more than likely get a Lee two cavity mold for the purpose. Can anyone recommend a 30 cal Lee Gas check mold ?
    I am using the Lee 312-185 mold that they sell for the .303 British. It casts large enough that I can use it in most of my .30-.31 caliber rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper771 View Post
    I have never messed with gas checks. Where is a good place to purchase them?

I will also need the proper lube sizer die and top punch for my Lube a matic 2.
    I am using that last of a can of Hornady gas checks I bought at a gun show, but they can be bought from most of the reloading suppliers, I like MidSouth. The mainstream suppliers fo gaschecks are Hornady and Lyman. I have read that Hornady makes them for Lyman now, the old style Lymans were designed for a slip fit while the Hornadys are crimped on when you run them through the lubrisizer, as are the new Lymans. You can also buy Gator checks from one of the members here.

Slug your rifle before you buy a sizing die, my 1917 likes .311" diameter boolits. For a top punch for a Lee you have to get creative, I use a homemade flat punch and a light touch, but you can also order one for a similar profile and custom fit it with hot glue, epoxy, etc. Use a release agent on the boolit if you do this.

Good Luck,

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    lee 309-170F is almost the same as lyman 311041 and will work well in 06 or 30-30.

Any .30 cal is a good choice for cast. The .303 or 7.62 x 54 is going to have a more limited selection of molds to choose from, but you can get a mold for them if you want to. The .30-30 is a classic for cast. .30-06 is not a bad choice either, you will just end up burning a little more powder in the 06 to get the same FPS than you would in a .30-30. Whoever told you that Microgroove is no good for cast, never shot my gun. It shoots cast better than factory ammo & that's with the same boolit weight & speed.

Pistol caliber rifles like .45LC, .44Mag & .357/.38 are pretty easy to cast for as long as you choose a reasonable boolit design. While the pistol boolits tend to be a little bit easier to cast than the rifle boolits, .30 cal is not bad. When you start getting below 7mm, then you start to really see some additional difficulties when trying to get good fill out.

A 150ish grain .30 cal mold should give you a good general purpose boolit for a wide variety of applications. Just remember to get a flat point design if you plan to load for a gun with a tube mag, like a .30-30 lever action.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

To answer your later questions -
    Midway, Midsouth & Natchez are the first three places that come to my mind when I want to buy a mold, sizing die or gas checks.

My favorite all around .30 cal mold from Lee is the C309-150-F. You can use it in a lever gun or just about any other type of rifle with a standard US size .30 cal bore. Most other people prefer the 170-grain version though. If you are only going to be shooting cast in the 06 & not getting a .30-30 down the road, then the round nose C309-180-R will probably give you slightly better results as the ranges get longer. At $20 a pop, it's probably not the end of the world if you need to get a second Lee mold down the road. You can almost always sell a used mold in good condition for $15, so you are not really risking very much.

You can see the Lee rifle molds here - http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Bullet...Cavity-c-7289/

The best die to use for cast is probably the Lyman M die. It gives you the best combination of neck expansion & flair when properly used. Most of the time you can get away with just using the Lee universal expander die to put a little flair on the mouth of the case, so that you don't shave lead when you load the boolit. If you want groups like Ben's, then I'd recommend going the extra mile & getting a genuine Lyman M die. They do make a bit of a difference when you are really trying to get things dialed in.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

As Jim said, get the Lyman M die. also a Lee collet die if they make it in the cartridge you select.

Blammer on this site sells gas checks very reasonable.

If you run across a Krag 30-40 this is also a great cast shooter if the bore is good.

I prefer boolits in a 30 to 31cal. of 170 to 200grs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sapper771:

If you do decide to shoot your 1917 with cast ( or for that matter any of your other rifles ), just remember that the bore must be totally free of copper to get optimum results with your cast bullets.

Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast