RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: modern rifle with sights

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?

modern rifle with sights

This is NOT a "want to buy" ad. I have to do a lot of shopping and considering.

I wonder where to find a modern bolt action rifle with iron sights. I will be adding a scope over "see through" mounts.

I am not asking for advice on some alternative, I want a .308 bolt action with iron sights.

I like the Savage but cannot find one with iron sights.

Thank you friends,

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Grand Master

Bob,
    My wife has a Savage, bought a few years ago, that came with iron sights, but the
    rear one was plastic - although it probably would work OK. I favor the Savage -
    high accuracy and a reasonable price.

I tend to think that any more you may have to add iron sights to almost anything
    other than a levergun

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

A good old Lyman 48 or 57 would be good. With the competition like it is they probably can't put a $100 sight on when most people scope them up anyway. There is always gunbroker and look for a nice old military convert. Oh you said 308 though, that will be a problem.

Probably easiest to get a rifle and get sights and mount them.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Bob,
    My wife has a Savage, bought a few years ago, that came with iron sights, but the
    rear one was plastic - although it probably would work OK. I favor the Savage -
    high accuracy and a reasonable price.

I tend to think that any more you may have to add iron sights to almost anything
    other than a levergun

Bill
    Thank you, Bill,

I certainly would consider a lever gun or a semi-auto but I kinda thought that statement would muddy the waters.

I got bundles of .308 brass and am very pleased with it's performance.

The boy got rid of his .308 (without giving me first choice!) in a divorce. Now I got more than a thousand .308 casings and cartridges. I really should look at 7mm-08 or even 35Whelen-08 (or 08-35Whelen?) but in the terms of KISS, a .308 would be the simplest solution for me.

If I could have what I want I would want an M14A, a Garand rechambered in .308, a BAR in .308, a Savage or equivalent bolt action, a Savage 99 in .308, Marlin 336 chambered in .308 or another milsurp chambered for .308.

Bottom line, gots to be iron sights with the ability to add scope.

$500.00+ firearm is NOT in the picture here.....

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master

Shop around for an older (70s-80s) Rem 700, Win 70, or Win 670 in good condition...all were factory D&T'd for iron sights. Another possibility might be a commercial FN M98.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I think I'd look at a Stevens 200 in .308, and figure out what it would cost to add a set of decent sights. That way you can select the brand and style of sights - kinda have your cake, and eat it, too. But that's just me.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

For the money Stevens 200 is a very good buy

May not what you have in mind but what about the Savage "scout" model I believe it comes with a rear rec. sights
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I too would look for an older Remington 700 they were offered in ADL (blind magazine, less trim) and BDL (floorplate and more bling). Carefully check the bore before buying. There is a chance that any rifle chambered in .308, .30/06, 8x57 or other various military calibers has been fired with corrosive ammo and not properly cleaned. Wipe the bore with a solvent-soaked patched to get out the loose crud, then dry it well and see if it shines. There was not as much corrosive .308 in circulation as the older rounds, but I have seen it for sale in the past.

Boolit Master
    I recently bought a Whetherby Vanguard in 308 for much the same reason as you want but I wanted it with receiver sights and a ramp front sight that it did not come with. I bought a band type front sight and ramp and a William FP sight. I installed the front sight myself and had a gunsmith drill and tap it for the rear sight. The sights and gunsmithing cost me $135 but I have What I wanted. Back in the 60s and 70s almost all BA rifles came with iron sights so one of them used may also give you what you want.

Boolit Grand Master

Browning Lever action. Cam lock, was available in the .308, I assume it still is.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I was going to suggest as others a Rem 700BDL...they used to come with sights.
    I could be wrong but I'm thinking a CZ may come in various models with sights possibly the mannlicher stocked ones.

Yep, the CZ 550 with either the Mannlicher stock or the european humpback one not only comes with sights but is likely the most comfortable to use iron sighted rifle out there. All those other stocks are too straight for irons, being made for scope use.

Boolit Buddy
    My brother just bought a Savage 114 Euro-classic in 7mm-08. Beautifully made/finished rifle with the Accu-trigger, open sights, and detachable box magazine. He got it through his local gunshop at a discount price. Very accurate rifle right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly View Post
    My brother just bought a Savage 114 Euro-classic in 7mm-08. Beautifully made/finished rifle with the Accu-trigger, open sights, and detachable box magazine. He got it through his local gunshop at a discount price. Very accurate rifle right out of the box.
    Interesting, what pray tell is a "discount" price.

Thanks,

Bob

Boolit Master

De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Ruger offers two .308 Winchester bolt guns with iron sights, the new Gunsite carbine, and this year the 77MKII Compact Magnum with it's 20" barrel.

Shot an OPR Mossberg the other day in 30-06. Action was surprisingly smooth for a frugal rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Both the Ruger Model 77 RSI and the CZ 550 FS (mannlicher stock carbines) come with decent iron sights and receivers milled for scope mounts.

I have a CZ 550 FS in 6.5 Swed that I believe is a very well made rifle. I would recomend it to anybody.

Good luck