RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rude Behavior at the Shooting Range.

Boolit Buddy

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    GEE WHIZ ? Where are the "rough men standing watch" or is this just some petty range thing to complain about? The fix is a CLEARLY POSTED SPECIFIC RULE.

Why don't you get 20 sympathetic friends to go with you and when MR. RO big boy acts up, shut him down with the management?

BvT
    BY GOLLY, Thanks Bvt for the compliment. To assume that I have any Friends, let alone 20 that would be sympathetic to the cause is just down right neighborly of you.

Actually I took care of the situation that day at the same time teaching my Grandson a lesson that there is Loud Mouthed Rude People everywhere you go and that it needs to be corrected when it happens.

The input I was seeking was, are there some ranges out there that actually do this and maybe I might have wronged this person by pointing out his rude behavior.

Thanks for your input though and your right about the fix being "CLEARLY POSTED SPECIFIC RULES" which I will bring up to the owner of the Range next time I am there so as to not run off New Shooters to the Range or Shooters intimated by some Blow hard that hangs out at the Range alot, which somehow makes him an expert on everything

Boolit Master
    The ranges I use are pretty much open to anyone who buys a permit; one's a private club and the other is run by a local government entity. Neither has a designated RO present, so it's up to the people on the line to police themselves. This works OK most of the time, but I'll swear there are times I wish there were a "range nazi" RO present with the authority to excuse people from the range (or revoke memberships at the private range). At the public range I've twice in recent months asked the same guy to step behind the firing line and not scavenge brass while we're shooting; basic range safety like open actions is almost nonexistent; the target frames and boards are shot to pieces by the tactical wannabe crowd seeing how fast they can empty a rifle or shotgun. The frames are shot to pieces at the private range too, but the safety violations are not as blatant because members are more likely to say something to violators. Going back to the original post, if the RO cannot show you a specific prohibition to picking up brass when the line is cold and you can go forward for other reasons, he's out of line.

Boolit Buddy
    At our local ranges the on duty RSO HAS to wear orange vest/or hat showing that he is the on duty person in charge-Cuts way down on situations as you had-And the safety rules are posted. barry

Boolit Master
    Our range has no RO you are on your own, but when the range is "COLD" you sit the sign up and collect your brass. At 106 I would have been the only one at the range period as that is when I go so I have a private range with three pistol ranges, two High power ranges and a 22 range life is good.
    We have a bunch of wusses any extreme will give you a private range. As I said Life is Good.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    I just go out in the desert and shoot. Nobody minds or bothers me. I tend to stay away from our range especially when the "long range" dopes are around. They have no safe gun handling skills whatsoever and are rude besides.

Hey FredX10sen,
    Seems you have a range bully on your hands. Ask the RO to deal with him when he gets out of hand, but don't provoke him...it only makes it worse. I've been an RO for about four years, I have only twice felt the need to get after someone, most times they only need to know what's expected from them. All this was said to let ya know that I don't need to holler at some one to get them to cooperate. That will only get you resented. There is a bucket for brass that is not wanted at the range. It is locked so you cant' pilfer, but you can pick-up brass forward of the line during " range cold" We are strict about no gun handling while the range is cold, and you only get one warning if your caught sweeping anyone with the muzzle of a weapon. I'm sure that others can be heavy handed at times, but at the end of the day, we just want to be able to say " not on my watch" Range Nazis? Call us what you like, we are responsible for the safety of folks that may or may not have the experience to handle there guns safely. That's my .02 worth.
    Sorry, I'm off the soap-box now.
    Wayne
    Aim low boys, there ridin shetlands

Thumbs up

God bless professional. polite. and yes. strict ROs. I feel about them as I do police officers. I and my family are safer with them than without them. A good RO has the authority to take care of rude and unsafe behavier. Our sheriff dpt training and shooting range is only a half mile down the road. They have at times visited our range as does the wildlife enforcement folks. I guess we are blessed with the quality of people running our range. Folks have been asked to leave either aided or unaided and not return. This is rare, but I guess the words out, if you want to act like an a hole at our range you will be treated as such.

I feel for you Guys that have to shoot at a Range. They make it hard to pick-up because they want it. It usually gets sold to someone else, I know. On a busy weekend they have many, many 5gal. buckets full, of once fired brass.
    Take your revolvers! Leave the semi-autos at home.

Best, Rick

This is why I built a range on my property. Got tired of dealing with people.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post
    I am soooo glad I have my own ranges on my own property.
    I noticed most of you "I've got My Own Range Guys" didn't post their location.

Guess we're not shooting at your place.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

If I ever had to ask permission to pick up my own brass, on a cold firing line, that would be my last time I shot at that range. I've heard stories of people not being allowed to pick up anything that hits the ground.
    Thats BS, pure and simple.

Moderator Emeritus

The only thing I miss about shooting at a public range is picking up free brass. I don't miss having to keep my head on a swivel the whole time there to look out for some yahoo sweeping the line with his loaded deer rifle. I don't miss the gangbangers rapid firing their glocks sideways. I don't miss the attitude junky that has been there first, done it more times and faster, and knows more than you ever will about every topic known to mankind. I don't miss the dangerous and unsafe gun handling. I really don't miss the fee's!
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

At the local range I patron there is a blue line painted on the concrete about four feet behind the benches, unless you are changing a target you're behind the blue line, if you're picking up brass you have to have a broom in your hand, (I guess that would stop a would be "crazy" from shooting with one hand). I have not been told not to pick up my brass or anyone elses (yet). I don't go up and down the range but if its in my vicinity and it's a caliber I use, I pick it up and always ask the people next to me if they save it then if they mind if I pick it up. Sorry, appropriate or not some or most of them are "range nazis", it seems like every other time I go out there is a new rule. I carry my pistols in pistol cases and put the cases in my range bag, if there are firearms in the bag you cannot bring it in or out of the range durring a cease fire. I am all for saftey 110% but come on, unless Chris Angel is at the range that pistol isn't coming out untill I take it out. I have been shooting at the same range for nearly 27 years, I am pretty well aware that I'm not to be near the bench durring a cease fire and I do not like to be treated as if every time I go there it is my first time. I realise that in AZ our population has had an explosion in the last few years, and there are many inexperienced shooters/firearm handlers but one simple rule of don't touch is not that hard to absorb. Soon I am going to attend one of the board meetings and make a suggestion: For the shooters who don't like being harassed, make a saftey class that covers all the rules and expectations for safe range behavior and give the graduates a stamp or identifiable hole punch on thier member badges. All other shooters should have to attend as well and be given the same identifiable insignia etc. That way the range officers do not have to tell the same guy three cease fires in a row not to handle the firearms durring the cease fire. They can look and say " You've been to the training and you know the rules, pack it up and try again next week". I feel this would make the whole experience more enjoyable and more efficient for everyone.

az-jim
    "You believe these people exist to provide you with position, I believe your position exists to provide these people with FREEDOM"

FREEEEEEEEDOMM-William Wallace

Boolit Master

Our range requires attendance at a range safety class(not so much basic safety but also range specific rules) and passing a written test before getting the range card and combination to the gate. All sign a sheet attesting they have read & understand the Club Rules. The Match Directors and others as designated by the Club President comprise the Range Safety Committee/Range Safety Officers. If an RSO pulls your card for any alleged offense, you're done until the RSC meets with you . We seldom ban anyone permanently, sometimes send 'em back to a "remedial' safety class. Gives all parties a mechanism to straighten things out since your fate is not determined by just one person.

Boolit Master
    On our range, if there are people downrange by agreement, then all firearms are cleared and grounded- on the bench. If no one has a firearm in their hands, I don't care what you do. You can go in front of the firing line, the targets setters are.
    When they come back from setting targets, you need to be back behind the firing line then, right then (within reason).

We work from courtesy and consideration to agree when to set targets, I don't go there to get in somebody's way, or have them inconvenience me. So, Here, want to shoot this?
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Buddy
    Wow this whole issue was not about SAFETY, it was about PROFIT! While looking at all the goodies at the Gun Show today I happened to see a table full of assorted brass of all kinds and who do you think was selling all that brass? Well that would be Mr Rude Behaver himself with all that free, once fired, OVER PRICED BRASS in nice neat baggies. I might have been born at night butt it wasn't last night. His concern must not have been about safety as much as me cutting into his Nice Little Side Line Business by picking up all my OWN BRASS! PRETTY PETTY TO BE SO GREEDY, that fear of retrieving my brass would leave him soooo broke!
    Last edited by Fredx10sen; 08-28-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Banned

If someone at my range makes a mistake i yell "LLOYD STOP THAT" and if that doesnt work and Lloyd goofs up again I call STOP SHOOTING and make him crack a beer or a pop and take a time out. Seriously i have alot of respect for you guys that shoot at ranges like that. I dont think id still be shooting if i had to put up with that kind of ****.

Alot of local shooters to me regularly complain about the range Nazi or two that Knob Creek Range has. I feel for them... I've got my couple hundred yard range with steel targets and hanging manhole cover all to myself...and always welcome those whom want to come ring the gong ( manhole cover ).
    I think I'd blow a gasket if some range nazi said I could not pick up my brass !.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredx10sen View Post
    Wow this whole issue was not about SAFETY, it was about PROFIT! While looking at all the goodies at the Gun Show today I happened to see a table full of assorted brass of all kinds and who do you think was selling all that brass? Well that would Mr Rude Behaver himself with all that free, once fired, OVER PRICED BRASS in nice neat baggies. I might have been born at night butt it wasn't last night. His concern must not have been about safety as much as me cutting into his Nice Little Side Line Business by picking up all my OWN BRASS! PRETTY PETTY TO BE SO GREEDY, that fear of retrieving my brass would leave him soooo broke!
    Did you buy your brass back from him?

Boolit Master

I'm glad that I have my own range at the house,
    and the only idiot I have to deal with is myself.

Did I say that?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.