Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    "must learn to look at OP dates"
    It's fun to see some old resurrected posts anyway.

often the old ones have very good info, that is not wasted being recycled.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Bub
    Since it has resurrected, thought I'd chime in. My first one was a 357 mag that got reamed to Max and with a Nikon 2-7 scope, is a deer slayer. Lately I picked up an old strainght stocked ('78) model in 22 hornet for a song. I have shot factory and reloads with 4227 and 2400 and it is more accurate than expected. For the money, they're hard to beat. Now i got the hots for an '83 nickel model in 30-30/20ga combo that's sitting at the lgs. I asked them for a trigger pull scale and couldn't believe it broke at just over 2 lbs and change. Resistance is futile!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    H&R handi rifles good or junk?

I have kicked around the idea of buying an H&R rifle in 45/70 or .444 marlin for a while. The main things that worried me are
    1. does it eject the spent shell or do you have to pull it out?
    2. is the action strong enough to stand up to years of shooting a lot of boolits through it? (I have this addiction to single shot .22s, you see, and I end up shooting more out of the slow single shot than I do out of the auto loader, and I fear that the H&R would be no different.)
    and most importantly,
    3. Is the handi rifle, or buffalo rifle design accurate? Or does it take a lot of fussing to get a semi decent group at say 200yards.
    I am, of course, looking for info regarding rifles that have already been broke in. Assuming that I buy one in 45/70 and shoot 100 PP boolits through it, what kind of accuracy can I most likely expect from GG GC or PP?
    Tim, your questions are posted to the bush league H&R owners. The 'H&R Experts' are on Graybeard Outdoors ... http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/

My H&R BC (45-70) shot a 600yd 5 shot group with Triple Seven ... 2 1/2" x 7 1/4" with 3 holes that could have been covered by a silver dollar And don't remember the number of times the 10" bullseye had lead splashes at 1000yds. Get the picture? They "shoot" with a good reload
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy

I had one a number of years ago in 50 cal BP, a spare for muzzleloader season. Gave it to my brother in law. I never did get around to having other barrels made for it - I just bought more guns ;P
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

Be careful. Handi rifles are like potato chip. You cant just have one.

Boolit Master
    They are junk, that is why I buy every cheap one I see; so as to save others from the disappointment of owning it Only thing I wish was' they all were d+t'ed or dovetailed for iron sights.

++++1 to that.

Boolit Buddy
    Crazy how the pistol calibers are set up for scope only (except the .45 Colt Classic Carbine). They make great plinkers and irons are fun for that. I can't use the standard rear sights because of old eyes but peeps work great.
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Perm-Banned
    my modified 45/70 buffalo classic shoots paperpatch and blackhorn 209 powder. it is almost a one hole gun and most definitely a 1 minute of angle gun. i cryod the barrel and a few other things but it is as leaste as reliable and accurate as anything out their or better. love it. been thinking about doing a post on it with pictures if i knew their was enough interest.

I'm all hot for the 300AAC version, I wonder if it is barrel swap ready, might speed up the decision.......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123