Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Keepsake Mould

Boolit Buddy

Keepsake Mould

Well, here's an unpleasant picture for you all. It certainly is for me.

My Uncle Keith and Aunt Madolyn's place. This just happened a week ago. Lightning strike on the garage during a big storm.

I don't have a picture handy of the barn before it burned, but it was a beauty. Had it built after he retired. Two and half bays wide, two bays deep, two stories, gambrel roof.

And the entire upstairs was devoted solely to his gun hobby. He had more guns than anyone I knew. And ammo. And loading equipment. And components. And not a fireproof-safe to be seen. All in wooden cabinets.

Keith had a stroke some years back and couldn't shoot much after that. He was a big tough ol scudder and still got around ok and still bought some new guns, but his left arm was weak and he couldn't shoot a rifle.

He died five or so years ago, and Madolyn was taking care of the place by herself. Not too hard, the house was very compact, but was dwarfed by that garage. When the garage caught in the middle of the night, she woke up to what she thought was either monstrous hail or a nonstop firecracker barage. The ammo was cooking off. Tried to call in the cavalry but the phones were down. She has a cell phone, but that was in her car. Out in the garage. Apparently it was just the second story burning at the time, and the power was still on, so she got the garage door up and got her car out and called in the troops. By the time the firefighters got there they gave up on the garage and worked on the house, and dealt with what was left of the ammo cans full of surplus powder, welding tanks and propane bottles that were still making things interesting. I'm impressed they saved as much as they did.

They've been digging what was recognizable for guns out of the rubble a few days later. When we got over to view what was left a week or so later, I was poking around in the ashes and found a few bullet moulds. Keith was a caster as well. One was warped so badly I couldn't believe it. One mould BLOCK warped. handles sagging. I found one that appears to be a lyman single cav with straight handles that was in the best shape (comparatively) that I kept to clean up for a keepsake. Probably won't be worth using, but I'll keep it in the collection for Keith.

Just depressing, but at least Madolyn got out OK. She's certainly irreplacable. Fortunetaly, after he died I think his boys got most of what they wanted that was of sentimental value to them out of the place, but there was still an awful nice collection up there.

And I'm sure he didn't have a list or an insurance policy on all his guns. Keith was like that. But I know the house and garage were insured, so Madolyn is all set to have a new modular house put in on the old foundation and stay on the property. She likes it there.

Those fireproof safes may be an expensive upfront proposition, but boy they'd have paid for themselves here. I'm glad my dad invested in one. Seeing his collection up in smoke would break my heart. Not much really nice stuff, but a lot of memories in there.
    "Yes, I handload almost exclusively. No, it isn't really cheaper, but I shoot a lot more...."

You have to remember that you are dealing with clueless idiots.
    They couldn't get a clue even if they rubbed clue musk all over themselves, and did the clue mating dance, in a room full of horny clues. -Matt G.

Boolit Master
    Tragedy for sure but it could have been much worse if your aunt had not woken up! It does serve to stress the importance of secure, fire-proff storage and the need for detailed records. (stored off site)
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Dang. Glad Madolyn is OK.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Oh that breaks the heart! Glad she is ok! Sad when such fine tools and guns are reduced to ash.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Glad she is ok. I will continue to pray for comfort for her.

Andy

Glad to hear that your Aunt made it out before things got real bad. I thought of this song after reading your post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSdItuvBxc8

To quote Craig Morgan "this ain't nothing time won't won't erase, and this ain't nothing money can't replace."

There are a lot worse things that could happen than to loose ones worldly possessions. Again, glad to see that did not happen.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    This is sad. As good as it is that your Aunt got out unharmed, no doubt she will have had things that reminded her of your uncle. I hope that those things most dearest to her were also saved.

Your right about the fireproof safe, if I had the money, I would get one in a heart beat.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Grand Master
    Good to hear your aunt got out okay.

Always remember, things can be replaced, people can't.

Robert