RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 scope thoughts

Boolit Buddy

22 scope thoughts

I have a Browning A bolt 22rf that does not have any sights and is in need of a scope. I'm not much of a scope person and definately unknowledgable of such things so I thought I would ask you guys. It currently is wearing an old K4 but it shoots w whole lot better than that old scope can see. The heavy post reticle would serve more usfullness I think on a deer rifle.

Soo - les hear it - what should I get for that rifle. Expecting to shoot smallish targets in the 50 to 100 yard range????

Boolit Master

Get a Variable target scope with a AO and that way you can set your zero at 50 yards then use the elevation knob to crank it right up to a 100.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey 45gun
    What is an AO (remember I said I was ignorant of such things). I'm figuring there is an optic or some such meaning there????

Do they make such scopes designed for 22's or do most any scope qualify. I have heard of paralax problems with 22's and scopes. (not fully understanding paralax either) Is there an issue of using a scope designed for center fire rifles on 22 rifles? My thinking would be there wouldn't be except for maybe using a scope on targets closer than say 50 yards.

I'm using Bushnell 4x12 50" it's a centerfire scope, so recoil no issue - I'd suggest mil dot reticle if you are shooting over 50 and 100 yards - on mine I just hold low and use the dot for 50 yards and then cross hair for 100 - no moving elevation - when using 22 LR over long distance wind can play a significant agrivation - might look into some wind flags and a wind measuring device.

I find they by trying a number of different rounds you will find the gun will favor a particular brand / lot number - I then tend to buy several bricks of that lot for that gun. Oh, and watch your canting of the rifle make sure the crosshairs are level to the gun and that you put up the target straight so you don't do what I sometimes do and match the horizaonal crosshair to the target when the target is hung crooked - throws you to the left or right depending upon the cant.

Boolit Master

I dont know what range you will be shooting....most 22 RF are shot at the 50 to max 75 yard range. I have an old weaver 1" dia. tube 4x on one of my 22's....clean crosshair...the other has a 7/8dia tube and is a bushnell 4x

both are vary adequate for 50 to 75 shooting...the weaver 4x was a big game scope and it's AO is set for 100 yds. the bushnell is a true 22 scope and its AO is set for 50 yds...
    you pay a premimu for scopes with adjustable AO...
    my advice would be to find a good scope set up for 50 to 75 yd shooting.....and it will still be good for 100 yd s if necessary

Boolit Master

Talking

Simmons makes a 22mag scope that is 3x9x32mm objective that has a adjustable objective that focuses down under 25 yards and will not overpower the rifle in size. I believe you can buy it for about $60.00. I have one on a Marlin 39A 22Lr and it has a nice clear view and I would buy another one.

Boolit Master

I've got a Vortex Crossfire 4-12 x 40 AO on my 10/22, and it is by far the best .22 scope I own. I have two other .22's with Bushnell's that cost more, and they don't even compare to the Vortex. I've got the 10/22 sighted out to 200 yards for a long range silhouette shoot we do every 5th sunday, and this scope works flawlessly. The target turrets are simply a joy to use.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=West Creek;1306434]Hey 45gun
    What is an AO (remember I said I was ignorant of such things). I'm figuring there is an optic or some such meaning there????

Adjustable objective. Objective lens is the light gathering front lens. That feature is probably of little use for the average 22 rimfire shooter, but useful in switching ranges.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

Talking

Actually the reason most people think 22rf are not that accurate with a scope is because they put a high-power scope on them that does not have a AO/ adjustable parallax and high-power scopes are focused at 150 yards, and shotgun and 22rf scopes are focused at 75 yards. With a adjustable objective scope on your 22rf you will be able to focus it as close as 10 yards.

I have shot a lot of 22 gallery matches indoors at 50' with AO on the scopes and get a clear view. Then I will see a fellow shooter with a regular high-power scope like a 3x-9x power looking at 50' and even with their scope turned all the way down to 3x have a blurry view and more magnification only makes it more blurry.

Go to a gun shop that has scopes and look through both kinds of scopes that have a AO and do-not have a AO and look at something at 50' to 100' and you will see the difference.

Boolit Master
    I suggest that you look into a Leupold VXII 3x9 EFR. EFR means extended focus range which is the same thing as adjustable objective which means that the scope can be adjusted to be parallax free at any reasonable range. They retail at about $400 but are worth it.

Tony

There are other manufacturers of scopes other than Leupold?

It always amazes me that someone will spend upwards of $600-$800 on a great rifle and put a $39 Simmons or Tasco on it and wonder why it won't shoot. Then blame the rifle, the ammo, the wind, bad primers or the phase of the moon. Hey stupid! you put a junk scope on it.
    Put your money into a good scope, you will be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    Simmons 3x9 AO scope. ( 22 Mag model) adjust down to 10 yrds. Target turrets Check out Midway reviews

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by West Creek View Post
    Hey 45gun

Do they make such scopes designed for 22's or do most any scope qualify. I have heard of paralax problems with 22's and scopes. (not fully understanding paralax either) Is there an issue of using a scope designed for center fire rifles on 22 rifles? My thinking would be there wouldn't be except for maybe using a scope on targets closer than say 50 yards.

Doc explained the AO well so I will not get into that. if your gonna shoot at a 100 yards a lot I would get like a 4x16 or a 6x24 with a AO. Having the higher powers are nice for shooting small targets at longer distances. My target scope is a 10x40 which is more scope then you probably need and it is nice to have the lower power of 4 or 6 for shooting offhand even at 10 it gets hard to hold steady offhand using the higher power since it is magnified so much but for using a rest it is perfect. You can use the mildots or like I suggested use the target scope as was intended set your zero at 50 which is once you get the gun sighted in at 50 then take the knobs off and set them back on at zero for both Windage and Elevation and your done. When you want to shoot at a 100 move up the target knobs until you get zeroed in and remember that setting. My gun is set up for Silhouette so my zero is at 44 yards and I move from zero to 6.5 out of 7 to be right on at a 100.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

I have used 4X scopes on my 22's and have had good luck with them... but I do not shoot match with them, they are for plinking and squirrel hunting. As several sages have stated above, get a scope with an AO. Power is a matter of taste and what field of view you want to settle for. You definitely get what you pay for in optics!! Leupold, the good series of Nikon, older Penax, old Redfields are all good scopes. If you can find one, a Lyman All American is agreat 22 scope. For match, I use a 14x Unertl. Great glass but dark compared to ones mentioned above. You can never pay too much for good glass!!
    An example, I have a pair of Leica binoculars that I saved and saved for. They will be the last binoculars I ever buy. A friend looked through them and said his $29.00 Bushnells were just as good. I didn't waste my breath explaining why the Leicas were better, he wouldn't get it. But he will be buying binoculars the rest of his life, I won't and have no regrets of paying what I did for them. The same applies to rifle scopes, you will never regret buying a good one. Most of my rifles wear Leupolds because they are the best compromise between what I can afford and the performance I desire.

Rich

Boolit Master

My target scope is a Tasco and while they are lower priced scopes 150 bucks it is a nice scope. While good glass is something I will agree get the best you can afford I think some of the cheaper scopes out there today rival what good scopes were just a few years ago. Consider Cameras years ago the best cameras came from Germany then Japan got into the market and their cameras started giving Germany a run for the money at a much more competitive price. Same goes for scopes. Some of the Japanese scopes are good scopes. Now with China I think you can get good or bad scopes depending on the company and the price involved. China is known for making good and bad products which boils down to the specifications of the company doing the ordering.

Boolit Master
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=168462

$119 for the simmons whitetail classic.

i have one on my ar, and it was on my marlin 60 for a while. its real nice to see a quarter at 100yds, and see where your shots go.

Boolit Master
    Here is a picture of the Simmons 22 mag scope on a Marlin 39A that was cut down to 16"+ along side a Marlin 1897 Cowboy with a 3x Malcolm.

This scope is nice and clear and does not over power the rifle in size making it look like a night vision scope.

If you take the scope caps off you can adjust it with your fingers.

Boolit Master

IMO I wouid go with a 1 inch tube rifle scope made for a 22 lr ! almost every maker makes one
    or a scope with a AO .
    I personaly have a 3.5 x 10 leupold AO with target knobs on my rem 541s and a burris 4x12 AO
    on my custom STC ruger 10/22.
    a nice set up would be a leupold 2x7
    You can send any of leupolds scopes back to leupold and have the parrelex changed from 150 yards to 75 or 50 yards for free . Ive done it 2 time myself in the past !

On Heaven's Range

I've given the subject of scopes for .22 rimfires a good bit of thought.

After at least forty years of "thought", my current solution seems to be working well.

Just a few moths ago, I mounted a Burris Fullfield "SHOTGUN and MUZZLE-LOADER" scope on my Browning take-down .22 auto.

Reasons:

1" tube, great field of view and light transmission

2-7X magnification...2X is great for small game up close, and 7X suffices for anything else within .22 range

good, visible reticle design for almost any .22 purpose

1/4-minute click adjustments

PARALLAX-FREE at 75 yards...perfect for the .22 Long Rifle

All in all, it seems to be a very sensible set-up for the .22 rifle. I also mounted another "Shotgun & Muzzle-loader" scope on my daughter's .223 Mini-14, for exactly the same reasons stated above. Given that the little Ruger is not exactly a varmint-accurate rifle, the 2-7X seems ample , and the field of view at 2X is very useful for fast, close-range shooting. This specifically includes defensive purposes.

I like these scopes a lot for my intended purposes. They do cost more than ".22 scopes", but I consider the .22s to be just as important as my center-fires, when it comes to equipping them for max performance.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

scope

I have sold and mounted at least hundreds of scopes and see a lot of misinformation that has been posted. Westcreek, Unless you are going to be shooting over 100 yards on a regular bases you don't need a AO scope. I also would not mount any scope meant for the larger caliber rifles for several reasons. The first and main thing is that all the adjustments are intended for large center-fire cartridges which is so different from any 22 made. First buy a one inch in diameter scope and not the 3/4 inch that is often sold for 22's. If you want one of the better scopes then buy a Leupold that they make for 22's. In this day and time you may find one of the less costly scopes that you like. The Mueller scopes have been given a good thumbs up as well as some that sell for $100 range. You don't need or want a 50mm 6-24 AO scope on a 22 LR. A 2-7 will do fine for most people. As was posted by another member all 22 scopes have the AO set at 75 yards and that is a good compromise. The biggest thing about any 22 is finding the ammo that it likes. You may have to try up to 10 types or more.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast