Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loading Data Compilation

Moderator Emeritus

Loading Data Compilation

I have been steadily collecting loading data from the powder companies free books and websites and compiling it into a sql database . The upside to this was I have 8500+ loads stored in it that I can search as I want to. The downside - ya had to have SQL to do it. So I have converted it into access and put a quick and dirty front end on it so it can be searched by cartridge. It has data from Accurate Arms, Alliant, Hodgdon, Winchester, Vihta, IMR and Ramshot in it with each load documented as to which manual or website it came from. I am posting a link to it in hopes that others here find it useful. We might even think about adding surplus powder data at some future date. If you like - great
    - if you don't, offer to help make it better.

As always - your mileage may vary so double check me before taking anything as gospel. If it looks wrong - it probably is!

Wiljen

Link to file: [Updating - Found out my webhost was only allowing 1 download - stay tuned available soon.

Unzip then run setup.exe to install.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 01-18-2007 at 01:43 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Ok lets do this again

I have now gotten it posted to a location where you can actually download it and have added a few new tweaks as well.

It now has:

8500+ loads from powder company sites and free manuals
    1500+ Bullet BCs and SDs
    800+ Factory Load ballistics

and a fairly complete shell holder cross reference table.

Again the process is to unzip and run the setup it will create a desktop icon called Reloaders Reference that runs as an access runtime.

Enjoy.

http://www.unakarodandgun.com/reloadersreference.zip

Boolit Mold
    This programs rocks. A must for serious loader!!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

New update

I will be posting an updated version - probably this evening that has all the data from castpics and I am working on integrating the data from this site as well. Come on guys - 24 downloads today and nobody wants to help just a little ?

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    I will be posting an updated version - probably this evening that has all the data from castpics and I am working on integrating the data from this site as well. Come on guys - 24 downloads today and nobody wants to help just a little ?

Waiting for v2.0.

What kind of help do you need?

-ktw

Moderator Emeritus

Help.

I'm on the third page of the surplus powder data now extracting loads. If someone wanted to start on one of the other topics and copy data into excel that would be great.

I'm doing fields of bullet,powder, grains,velocity, and cartridge
    some will have low-high (gr - vel) others are sometimes blank depending on whats available. Just trying to get the majority of the surplus powder data thats tough to find elsewhere.

Moderator Emeritus

Oh and if we have any lawyers in the bunch - a EULA that says we aint responsible if you blow yourself up with any of this stuff would be good too

Moderator Emeritus

Ok - major revision and much much new data added. It now is complete - all the data to be had without charge from Accurate Arms, Alliant, Hodgdon, IMR, Ramshot, Vihta, and Winchester, Surplus Powder data as stolen from castpics and cast boolits, a primer reference, a shell holder cross reference, a cartridge dimensions list, and bullet lookup for finding SD and BC, and a factory ammo lookup for comparing your loads to factory ballistics.

Version 2 is now posted

Your feedback is appreciated.

Moderator Emeritus
    Wiljen,

Thanks! This will be very helpfull. You put a lot of time into the tool. There are 8518 different load combinations! WOW!

You might want to post a version that doesn't include the runtime library for folks that already have Access 2003. It would make the download a lot quicker and save some network bandwidth.

For the folks that don't have Access, you probably should mention that they don't need it and that you have included everything they need to run the program.

A couple suggestions:
    On the "Lookup Load Data" page:
    o If you could add a field for "Comments" that would be great so that a person could record their comments about a given load.
    o How about adding the ability to add a load? I know that this won't make it to the "master" list, but it would be helpfull for an individual.
    o Order the result by bullet and then powder or powder then bullet to make the searching easier. I personally prefer bullet then powder.

If you need any help with Access, send me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a call. I was a MS Access Certified Developer at one point in time and still program in it almost every day for my job.

John
    Last edited by garandsrus; 01-03-2007 at 11:41 PM.

Cast Boolits Owner

Excellent stuff! I have had basic classes in Access but lack the skills to do what you have done. Is it possible to have the "add a cartridge" and also "add a load" function? This would allow us to add cast boolit loads. Is it also possible to add the shell holder info from Dillon into the cross reference?

Robert
    Last edited by No_1; 01-04-2007 at 06:37 AM.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the comments

1.) as to the offer of help a PM is on its way shortly - much appreciated.

2.) As for a comment field - great Idea and no reason not to - I'll work on adding that.

3.) As for the Access runtime - yep its included so no need for any external program but I will put out a database only version for those that have access.

4.) As for the add a load - I have been very cautious to document all data with sources and am concerned that loads added need to be documented in such a way that if the database gets passed user to user there is an obvious distinction between data that came with the package and data added by the users.

5.) Having said that - I am in the process of developing a set of tables /forms that will allow logging casting activity as well as loading and firearms notes and will post that version when it is completed.

Wiljen

P.S. I looked for dillon but didn't find shell holders - found cartridge plates and they were specific to different models too as best I could tell - I wanted to keep it to the industry standards that are interchangeable. For that reason, no shell plates for progressives were included - maybe somebody could gather that data and we could add it. Maybe Lee, Hornady, RCBS shell plates ?
    Last edited by wiljen; 01-04-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

I have added a download of just the database for those who have access:

http://www.unakarodandgun.com/rr-noaccess.zip

the download for those who need the access runtime is still available as:

So now you have a choice !

Boolit Buddy
    wiljen, thank you for all your work on this. Great tool!

Did you include the data on the Hodgdon website? Some of it is different from what they published in their booklet. I have access and may be able to help add some of that data. I have never used access but my wife uses it so she could help me get set up. I assume I would be able to just email you an access file to add to your program?

Moderator Emeritus

Yep - hodgdon website data is in it. And as for additions - excel files import easily.

Moderator Emeritus

Ok, I think I have made all the changes that have been requested thus far and am posting new versions again.

For those of you that already have it - download:

http://www.unakarodandgun.com/update.zip and unzip it using the path this will replace the database file only.

For those of you that don't have access the install package is still:

and for those of you that do have access the database alone is:

http://www.unakarodandgun.com/rr-noaccess.zip

Again - comments and feedback welcome and I will try to incorporate ideas as I can.

Wiljen.

Boolit Master

Don't Have MS-Access

Wiljen,

Help me out... I don't have MS-Access, but do have Excel and Project. Will your package run with my config?

I am not SQL, XML,or HTML literate, but I can drive Excel.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by blslryr View Post
    Wiljen,

Help me out... I don't have MS-Access, but do have Excel and Project. Will your package run with my config?

I am not SQL, XML,or HTML literate, but I can drive Excel.

Yep it sure will - just get the reloadersreference.zip and install it. It comes with access runtime packaged so you don't need any other applications for it to work.

Boolit Master

lots of info at reload bench website that you might be able to incorporate if you have not already done so.

There is a really good set of cartridge drawings that would go good in your database or runtime.

I sent you a PM regarding an old program that I have. Also have a set of Hornady disks laying around that were given to me. I think there are table s that can be accessed.

Moderator Emeritus

Ok- its now over 150 downloads and nobody has any comments ?

Boolit Master
    I didn't even get v 1.0 downloaded and saw you had new ones.

Getting the latest version right now and I have cable.

Thank you
    David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast