Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Turret Press

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atakawow View Post
    Gary,

Would it be wise for some cheap bastard like myself to skip the Double Disk Kit and just charge the case twice with the correct size?
    If you charge twice you have doubled the variables, making it twice as hard to get an accurate load.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't believe I'd be doing that ! !

Quote Originally Posted by onondaga View Post
    The Lee Safety Prime can be ordered a variety of ways: small primer only, Large primer only or combination kit with both.

Get the Double Disk Kit as an accessory for your Auto Disk measure it includes a full set of disks and the screws and spacers to stack disks 2 high for larger rifle charges. Double disks can also be used for smaller charges and give the versatility to make .1 to .2 gr. very small changes that cannot be made with the single standard kit alone.

The Lee universal Expander Die is good for case mouth flair needed for cast boolits. Remember that the Universal Charging Die does not flair case mouths. Some Lee Die sets include a charging die that does flair case mouths, use care ordering to find out which do.

The other great tool for case mouth flair and case neck expanding combined is the Lyman "M" die. These are caliber/length specific and top notch tools for loading cast boolits because the case neck expansion keeps boolit seating from sizing your boolits down.

No one powder measure works terrific for everything, I have the Auto Disk with Double Disk Kit, a Lyman 55 and a Lee Perfect. Between the three of them I have been able to measure any powder well.

Gary
    Thanks Gary. I've already invested in the universal expander die, and I'll be sure to get both primer sizes for the safety prime.The auto disk pro measure is probably the one by the sound of it, and I'll get the double disk kit for sure.I didn't realize from their site that it was capable of the larger rifle type charges.Gracias!
    Member CSSA, NFA
    Who is John Galt?

Boolit Master
    Double Disk Kit works pretty good in my experience.

Banned

squirrelnuttz

The Lee case mouth expanding die (Universal Expander) is easy to adjust but easily over adjusted for too much case mouth flair if you are new. Only flair case mouths enough that boolit will just sit in the edge of the case mouth and not tip. This usually measures about .006" - .010" bigger and is barely visible but you can feel it with a fingernail. If you over flair your case mouths they will be splitting very soon.

Gary

Banned

Atakawow:

A single throw with the Auto Disk with a single disk or with double disks mounted is usually accurate to plus or minus .2 grains or less. Double throwing with a single disk will have twice the error. Get the Double Disk kit for large charges over 1.57cc volume, that is the largest cavity for the disk kit. Never drop charges when your margin of error puts you close to maximum loads

Gary

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    gnasher - could you have done the same thing with plastic pipe & fittings? It would be a lot lighter weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Gear,

I think my problem with the priming system is like an ugly woman, I just can't get past the looks....and I guess that is my own problem, not Lee's.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado4wheel View Post
    Good idea. Extra weight on the index bushing is a issue. PVC pipe and fittings might work, but I don't like flex or static electricity.
    Bullplate Sprue lube on the turret races and index rod makes the extra weight a non-issue. I've loaded literally thousands of rounds on this press with zero problems with the home built riser.

As for the priming system, think of it as a Pez dispenser, imagine your favorite flavor!

Gear

Just retired two Lee turrent presses that my wife and I have used for over twenty five years and got the Lee Classic turrent and am very pleased with it. Have always used multi turrents to keep my adjustment and will now start again. Don't have a problem with the Safety Prime system. There are a few "fix it" site for the proper alignment on the new press. Also updated to the Lee Bench Plate kit and works very well and even have a couple of Dillon Square deal mounted on it.

Just for those that may not have found it yet:

Factory Sales Online Store
    Last edited by ErikO; 07-06-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: wrong company name

Erik - the name of the company is Factory Sales.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Oops, post corrected.

Boolit Bub
    ErikO +1 on the Lee factory sales.I've purchased from them in the past.Great service and seem to have the cheapest prices.Do you guy's think that the classic is worth the extra $$$ vs the standard turret?I noticed @ "Lee factory outlet" they have a complete kit in the standard model.
    better to have a gun and not need than need it and not have it

Boolit Master
    Classic is worth it in my opinion.

yes, well worth the lillte extra money
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Vendor Sponsor

+2 on worth it.
    As good as the original is....the classic cast is that much better...IMO
    TCG
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thecyberguy View Post
    +2 on worth it.
    As good as the original is....the classic cast is that much better...IMO
    TCG
    I have a question on that one.

For years... OK, a couple of decades, I've wanted to try a Lee Turret Press, but every time I see one, the index gear (or whatever it is called) is stripped.

Finally, last year, I went into Bass Pro Shop and the manager of the reloading section was just finishing up a demo using his personal Lee Turret. I asked him to show me a few strokes, maybe let me try it, every time I want to the gear is stripped. He said sure, went to show me how it worked... but just then he discovered the gear was stripped.

Does the Classic Cast use this same mechanism?

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

In Remembrance

The Classic Cast Turret is a 4 hole press and therefore uses a square rod and ratchet bushing. This translates to a much sturdier bushing. I bought spares due to experience with a three hose turret, but have not needed to replace the bushing in several years of use and thousands of rounds loaded. I do use Bullplate lube on the shaft and turret. I love the Safety prime and the only problems I've had was operator errors, mine and my many sons. It is called safety prime due to the total separation of the primer feed from the insertion into the pocket. There is no danger of a flashover occurring in a priming mishap. Definately worth the difference and more over the standard turret press.

Banned

The spent primer routing and collection system alone is worth the cost of the Classic Turret over the standard turret. The primer residue and anvils all go in a closed passage to the bottom of the ram on the Classic, where they collect in a plastic tube. You can substitute a water bottle or coke bottle for the tube, whatever you want, the primers don't foul the primer arm or wear out the ram by constantly coating it with hard residue. Also, the base doesn't fill up with primers making a mess, and if you drop a live one, it doesn't go into the collection well with all the spent ones, never to be found again.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Has anyone upgraded thier powder measure for the Lee Classic Turret press with the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar?

If so, howdid it work?
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Bub
    i'm on my second ratchet bushing on a four hole turret press and just passed the 13K mark. i just ordered six more (lifetime supply) at .50 ea it's the cheapest thing in reloading.

George

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast