MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Its good to have friends!!!

Its good to have friends!!!

An old bud came by the other night. Asked me if I still cast bullets. More than ever I said. He works construction and has been working on the Music Hall in KC. They had a pallet of the counter weights for the curtains. Yup, pure lead. The next night I came home to 88 ingots stacked in front of my garage door. Right around 13.5 lbs apiece. So I just had 1200lbs of pure lead dropped in my lap. A pic of some here.

Boolit Master

They have a whole pallet and that is all he got you

Just kidding, it is always nice when you get free lead.

Neal in AZ

Boolit Buddy
    Kind of makes my 5# of WWs that I picked up this morning after my run seem kind of puny . . .

Boolit Bub
    Isn't nice to have friends.

Boolit Master

Wink

---Nice haul ---enjoy and make boolits---Mag

Super Moderator

.................Happened to me too, but it was sometime back. Neighbor works construction and they were building some radiological deal. An outfit out of Texas was doing the lead lining. Neighbor saw a partial pallet sitting there and asked if he could have some. The guy said take all you want, but we already called the scrap yard to come get it.

He called his wife and told her to call my wife to tell me to get my butt over there. Too bad I was asleep (work nights), but my wife said I had enough lead to last my life (WIMMEN!!!!!!!). My neighbor being a guy knew better so he and his swamper loaded all his Ford Ranger could haul. At 32 lbs a brick, and estimated 1600 lbs of pure lead. All neatly stacked to teh side of the garage door!

Ain't it purdy

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Buckshot check your PMs please . .......Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

I know I'm looking forward to smelting all that lead down along with the 100 or so lbs of wheel weights we still have left. Should make many a good cast boolit for our hobbies.
    Lead, it's what killed dinner

Rick

That is beautiful Buckshot. It is amazing how little space a thousand lbs of lead takes up. What is really exciting is that it is pure stuff and I don't have to guess. I do see a hardness tester in my future however.

Here is a pile of dead soft I got last fall. Pieces are 22" wide X 2" thick. Sitting on 40" pallets. Guessing about 2 tons in all. Let me see @ 510 gr each minne?????
    I still need more.

Loaded in my PU with a fork truck.My JD loader had its work cut out picking up them pallets.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Mold
    Boy, I need to make some more friends.

Shooter575, hows you going to cut them up to fit in a pot?? I'm very fortunate that those bars fit easily into the smelter pot. 1 bar makes 6 of the ingots I use for my casting pot. Life can be good!!

Boolit Bub
    All my friends in construction never find anything good. Last time I had a lead find was was way back in the canoe club when I stumbled on some lead torpedo ballast at the base torpedo shop. Many happy hours with a big hammer and chisel reducing it to packable size. Long used up though.

Quote Originally Posted by threett1 View Post
    Shooter575, hows you going to cut them up to fit in a pot?? I'm very fortunate that those bars fit easily into the smelter pot. 1 bar makes 6 of the ingots I use for my casting pot. Life can be good!!
    In the past with big hunks I had scrounged up had tryed a bunch of methods.
    [cutting torch,sawsall,air chisel even my hydrulic log splitter.This batch the pieces were just too damm big.So I tried a old skill saw with a old 24 tooth carbide blade. This cut pretty fast.I could cut 1" deep using some WD 40 as a lube.I uses a steel straight edge clamped on as a guide to make cut straight and line up for the 2nd cut.
    Couple things here I figured out the hard way.
    Hearing, full face sheild and HEAVY gloves.That lead flying out of the kerf will draw blood!!! Also a piece of plywood in front of the saw to keep the lead chips in the same area.
    I have only cut up a couuple pieses so fat.when I do some more I will take some pics.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim