MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: ugly boolits?

Boolit Bub

Question ugly boolits?

I cast some 300gr .45s from a 6 cav lee mold, using a 10lb lee pot, on inspection the outsides have dark spots, they don't seem to be inclusions, this pattern was random and was not effected when i turned the heat up or down, my metal was fluxed COWW with a little solder added for 2% tin.

Anyone know what may have caused this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01076.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Fluxed with lube, that is the lube residue? If you ladle pour you can get that, or I have. Don't know about bottom pour pots though.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

alloy

From the pic, I would say that you had the alloy that contained the material and you did not start off with a clean alloy or pot.If your alloy and pot are clean and well fluxed then your bullets will reflect that. It has nothing to do with the equipment unless it was contaminated.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Were these water dropped?

If so, I would suspect minerals in the water. Here is why...

Air cooled bullets I have cast look fine, but, water dropped bullets look like this. Or, rather, they did. Recently I finally got to the point in the re-plumb of the house that the water softener was hooked up. Since then, the discoloration has gone away with water dropped bullets.

Boolit Master
    Yuk! Now that old song is playing in my head and won't quit:

"If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never let a pretty woman be your wife. Just from my personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you......"

prs

Boolit Master

COWW? Cream Of Wheat W----? C-- O-- Wheel Weights? Whatever you fluxed with didn't work! That much is for darn sure. I never have seen anything like that come out of my molds, hope I never do!

Boolit Master
    All look serviceable to me. The pipe don't care either. Except for maybe the one on the end not being filled out completely. Looks more like a 38.

Life is a series of learning experiences. I find that you can have clean guns, shinny brass, pretty bullets or you can be shooting.

I prefer the latter.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Grand Master

Is the mold clean? I agree with others, you need a better flux. sometimes my boolits start getting small spots like those that you show, but It's always a sign that My pot needs flux. Use paraffin or bees wax, "i prefer bees wax". there may be alox "which is aluminum oxide" or some other stuff that's in your lube that is staying in the pot after you flux. If the solder you are using is flux core solder, then I would say that those spots are definitely caused by the resin in the flux. It takes a lot of stirring with a good pot flux to get rid of that resin. Be sure to stir the heck out of the pot when you throw the flux in there, it does no good to just chunk it in and leave it.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    my boolits were looking a bit like that(not so extreme) it turned out to be ash from my fluxing stick trapped on the bottom of the pot.

i recommend a through pot cleaning.

Boolit Grand Master

Did your solder contain rosin flux? Hard to tell from the pictures but if your temp was on the low side it may not have burned off.

A neat way of fluxing is with Kitty Litter on top and a dry wooden rod poked through and stirring. A layer of carbon forms under the litter (sand works too). Rub the insides of the pot too. This does not make much smoke and the litter or sand stops the tinsel fairy effect too. Holding the rod still produces vigorous agitation of the melt. The litter can then be skimmed off leaving a clean pot.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''