Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastcoReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So you can't afford one ?

a fired case , especially something such as a 38-55 or 375 win makes a great kake cutter for it's own boolits , if you dont have a fired one they can be expanded with a "m" die , the golf clubs ( as dean pointed out ) also work , merely drop a boolit in it and cut off just above where it stops

oh geez ben i didnt know you was a educator .. i hope it wasnt english as mine is really bad to be fair i do tolerable well at american tho , it does go far to explain why so many of your threads are good stuff tho ! ( thanx for that )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master
    fryboy

I'm not grading papers anymore with
    red ink pens ( remember those ? )

You communicate well, that's good enough for me.

Good Shooting,

Ben

yes sir i do lolz , i still use red lines but not for papers lolz ( blue prints and change orders etc ) i've also taught many a person that if all the lines are in one color but one then that one is a fix ( so to speak ) and important , a few years back i used to have to carry several different colors of keel , i kind of miss that as sharpies just dont last as long nor remove as easily if needed
    speaking of keel .... the carbon black actually makes a semi decent flux and a pretty good lube colorant but the red ? every time i melted that one batch of lube more and more settled to the bottom ( ie; never gonna use/do that again :P )

umm in case anyone is wondering what "keel " i'm referencing it's an old school name for a lumber crayon ( yup bigger than regular crayons and oft bigger than the big crayons and usually hexagon shaped ) the new stuff isnt as good as the old stuff ( barring that carbon black ) and seems nowadays to be made more of some kind of plastic type substance , btw ? the fluorescent ones also do not make good lube colorants - no matter how pretty they may be
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

I just bought some nested funnels from the dollar store. Each size funnel tube fits a different caliber. I just pop the bullets into the funnel tube and the bullet I pop in last pushes the previous one up into the mouth of the funnel and seals the tube, etc. So the mouth of the funnel becomes a reservoir for roughly lubed bullets until I run them through my Lee sizer.

Boolit Mold
    Threads like this are why I joined here.

I have cast some 230gr 45's (my first) but haven't loaded them yey because I thought I needed to spend more money on a lubber. Money is really tight right now and the project was put on hold for lack of funds. Now I am off to the workshop to make a cake cutter

Thank you for this great information!

Boolit Master
    Hey Ben-
    I have been using your cake cutter and have it in several calibers now, thanks.
    That pan though gives me fits on top of the hotplate. It sometimes flexes at the wrong moment spilling the boolits over into the hot lube. Do you have this problem?
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Bub
    I searched but what can you use as a cake cutter for a 9mm sized 356-357ish?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jal5 View Post
    Hey Ben-
    I have been using your cake cutter and have it in several calibers now, thanks.
    That pan though gives me fits on top of the hotplate. It sometimes flexes at the wrong moment spilling the boolits over into the hot lube. Do you have this problem?
    Jal5

A friend of mine who pan lubes has already tackled your problem. His thin metal pan did the same thing yours did.

He bought a thicker flat bottom aluminum used skillet at a Thrift Store for $2.00 .....No problems since that purchase.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
    I searched but what can you use as a cake cutter for a 9mm sized 356-357ish?
    A once fired 35 Remington case would be my choice.

Ben

Banned
    My wife bought me the best pans for panlubing a few years back. They are a relatively heavy gauge stainless pan about 3/4 inch deep and 11 inches or so in diameter with a small lip at the top. They came from the home area of Kohls I think. They are actually saucers for putting under houseplants to catch an overwatered situation. They work much better then the holiday popcorn tin lids I had been using.

Boolit Grand Master
    You learn as you go, & Yes the flimsy thin metal lids are poor choices for this kind of work.

You need a flat bottom pan that is thicker , like a skillet.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been doing it this way since the 80's, see no need to change now. Just wish Lee would reintroduce their old cookie cutter kit. Happy Casting!

Re: So you can't afford one ?

Quote Originally Posted by slohunter View Post
    I've been doing it this way since the 80's, see no need to change now. Just wish Lee would reintroduce their old cookie cutter kit. Happy Casting!
    I got one off ebay but it seems to make a small mess of things. Am I suppose to let the lube dry almost completely. I had been letting it almost get there but it seems to smear everywhere.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trying2learn View Post
    I got one off ebay but it seems to make a small mess of things. Am I suppose to let the lube dry almost completely. I had been letting it almost get there but it seems to smear everywhere.

What kind of lube are you using ?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    What kind of lube are you using ?

Ben
    Tak1 I believe is its name. For now anyways. When I run out I plan to trt making my own.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trying2learn View Post

I'm sorry that you're having problems. How " snug " is the fit of the " Kake cutter " on the cast bullet. Mine is fairly snug.

As a result, my bullets are cut from the lube very cleanly, these you see below have not been cleaned, only pulled from the lube :

Last edited by Ben; 12-14-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Ben mine are clean on the sides but the tops are covered from all the lube that is in the sides. I will do a few this weekend and take pics of it. Also it is a snuh fit to the point it sizes them down just a hair.

Boolit Grand Master
    Do you have the melted lube height in the pan filling the lube rings only, not the remainder of the bullet ?

Let us see pics prior to removal of the bullet from the solidified lube and show pics of the " mess " after you've removed the bullet so we can see it.

We should be able to offer some suggestions after seeing these pics.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 12-14-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Ok will do. Thank you.

This is a pic of some I had already done. Notice the clumps. They mainly show up on ones about ten into using the lee cake cutter I purchased. I redid some of them just now on a plate of steel over a hot plate I welded up to see if it made a difference. Being able to see it in the open as opposed to having to pull a tray out to check.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1355536683412.jpg  

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast