PBcastcoLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So you can't afford one ?

Boolit Grand Master

Now I'm confused. (not unusual) How does the method of filling a mold, make a difference in hot spots in an aluminum mold? Same temp lead, through the same sprue hole, into the same mold????????
    LEE makes some good casting equipment, but some of their instructions are weird.

Boolit Grand Master
    I too am confused. Warp a mold while using a ladle. I don't think so.
    I've been casting with a ladle since 1965, I've never warped any brand of mold.

? ? ?

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester, VA, but I'm from the better Virginia...WEST Virginia
    I assume that as you turn the ladle it comes in at a little bit of an angle, heating up one of the sides more???

Pure postulation.

Yeah LEE's directions are not the best, its kind of like an exciting mystery to figure out!

Don't get me going

I cast for a lot of different sizs bullets from .243 to .581. I got really tired of fighting with my old Lyman sizer, so I tried pan lubing. It does work great. Some outfit used to sell Kake Cutters, but I can't find anybody making them anymore. I'm too anal to want to give up one of my 577 Nitro cases. However, I ran across a discussion a year ago on some board about pan lubing buffalo rifle bullets. The guy was using one of those silicon cake pans that are flexible to pan lube. He avoided having to use a kake cutter because the cake of lube along with the bullets would just pop out of the flexible pan. Then, he just poked the bullets straight out, and the lube stayed in the grooves. He was using SPG lube, but any firm lube should work. I trotted out and got a silicon pan and have cut my bullet production time considerably. I use both SPG and DGL lubes. Try it. You'll be free again.

Mike

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Thanks fellows,

Most of you understand ( and hence can appreciate what you are seeing ) the concept because you've done it before.

My efforts above are really directed towards some of the young reloaders that may have been hedging a little bit on their commitment to casting. I'd hoped that they would read this and realize they don't have to have hundreds of $'s to get into casting, lubing and sizing their own bullets.

I was an educator for 25 years, I guess a little bit of it is still in my blood.

Ben
    Excellent tutorial. I really enjoyed that. It's inventive, simple and . . . it works!!
    Reminds me of a long time ago as a young man with family & no money. I would sit out in my shed/shop & cast bullets with a Lyman lead pot, a propane torch & Lyman lead dipper. I had a lot of fun.

Boolit Bub
    man, just get a Lee sizer die for use in your reloading press, and roll the bullets around in a shallow pan of Lee liquid (alox?) lube, prior to using the press to force them up and thru the sizing die.

Boolit Master

My little pan-lubing setup in 2009 before I lucked into an RCBS lube-sizer cheap. I cut off the neck and case-head of a 300 Win Mag case I had lying around and used the resulting tube to cut the .45-cal 200gr SWCs out of the cake:

Worked very well
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Great use for odd caliber range brass. Never know what size you'll be casting in the future.

Boolit Master
    Hello, everyone. excellent posts! I have lubrisizers, but for the very soft lubes either for revolver or single-shot rifle, I like to pan lube. Use dbl. boiler to avoid overheating. Have made "cookie cutters" in past..nowdays, I just push bullets base first thru cake..lube groove filled & driving bands left clean.

Boolit Bub
    This inspired me to make a cake cutter today so I thought I would post some pictures of it. I am cutting a 230 Gr boolit from a lee mold. I used a 454 Casull case and made the rest from junk in my garage.

Wow Mrbrent, that looks great. I'm inspired to make one kind of like it.

Banned

how did you get the washer where it is?

Boolit Mold
    Fun and informational thread. Thanks to all for adding to my (meager) casting knowledge.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Ben, Thank you for this thread. I just read all four pages. I have one question from post #1. How did you open the push through die to .310"?
    Peter

Boolit Master
    I can afford a lubrisizer and I STILL pan lube. I sold my last lubrisizer here in the classifieds. They might be fast but they are a pain and for me, NOT worth the effort.

I am confused by ya'll's little syringe contraptions. You have to cookie cut one boolit and then plunge it back out. WHY? Here's my boolit cookie cutter for 45 cal. [I have one just like it for every caliber.] It's made from a golf club. As you cut boolits out, they slide out the top. Once the tube is full, you cut one, and pick one off the top. Cut and pick. Easy to get a rhythm for. MUCH cleaner and simple, not to mention faster.

Boolit Master
    Also, take care NOT to tear your cooled lube up as you cut out the boolits. If the flat of lube remains intact, there'll be neat little holes left, you can just pop a boolit right back in there, adding a pinch of lube as needed. I use a toaster oven. Refill the holes with more boolits, add a bit of lube and pop them back in the oven. If you use a manicurist fan and two pans of lube you can get a cycle going. When I need to do a bunch I can get two or three pans going at once and work nonstop. One is melting the lube to around the boolits, one is under a fan cooling while I am cutting out the boolits from another. In the time it takes to cut out the boolits, run them through a sizer and refill the pan, the one in the oven is ready to come out and the one cooling is ready to be cut.

Sorry to bring an old thread back up. But what could I do for a .381 cookie cutter?

I am thinking about trying this for my 38-55 with Felix Lube?

Thank You.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

WOW! What a tip! This is THE BEST forum EVER! I gotta say, I thought I knew a thing or two and had come up with some creative solutions myself, but some of you good men just keep comin' up (and politely offering- free of charge - ha-ha) with some of the greatest solutions to some of the most commonly encountered problems! Thanks, man!

Boolit Grand Master
    The information here is free to you.............. Enjoy ! !

You'll meet some fine people on this forum.

Ben

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Sorry to bring an old thread back up. But what could I do for a .381 cookie cutter?

I am thinking about trying this for my 38-55 with Felix Lube?

Thank You.
    Would .382 be ok?

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-...-a-size-8-ring

Just don't let Her catch you.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast