Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: James Arness, dies at age 88

Boolit Master
    I was born in 1974... So I was after Mr Arnesses, heyday.

Even so, I remember watching Gunsmoke, and Marshall Matt Dillon... I've got a lot more regard for the role models depicted by Mr. Arness and his generation than what's out there today.

Anyone know if any of the direct tv satellite channels ever do reruns? Be neat if my kids could watch some of the gunsmoke episodes instead of this spongebob cİ@#.
    Last edited by DrB; 06-23-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrB View Post
    Anyone know if any of the direct tv satellite channels ever do reruns? Be neat if my kids could watch some of the gunsmoke episodes instead of this spongebob cİ@#.
    On DirecTV, look in the guide at channel 304. (TV Land)
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    A first grade teacher back in the 60s had her students draw a picture of something important at the Christmas season. One little tyke drew the Wise Men on their camels journying to Jerusalem. But she was perplexed by what looked like a box with a couple wires sticking out of perched on the back of one of the camels. When asked what it was the boy replied, "That's the TV so they don't miss gunsmoke!"

Boolit Master
    Hi Alan,
    It never ceases to amaze me how things have changed. When I was a kid in the 60's you only got 3 channels and the UHF channel was always a little snowey! The Wizard of Oz was shown only once a year and was a big deal because they would show half of it then have commercials and then show the rest! I see 10 year old kids today with $100 a month I-Phones and when I was that age I was lucky to get a $35 bike,which was a one time purchase!!! Now we have 300 channels and 99% is junk! Go figure!

Boolit Buddy
    I remember Sunday evenings as a child it was The Wonderful World of Disney, Gunsmoke, and Grandma would bring us home baked goodies before Bonanza came on. Dillon was the greatest and there was a long list of actors wanting to co-star next to the man, James Arness.
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

Boolit Master
    "Wayne himself was initially involved in the show, with conflicting reports whether he was offered the Dillon role himself, "

That was the story at the time.

Back then writers/producers/directors wanted stories people could listen to with family and not be embarrassed or ashamed to sit through. The told interesting stories of good people dealing with the hard times of life with diginity and some help from the local hero. We could watch a typical horse show of the period, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, High Chapperal, Wagon Train, etc, and feel clean after it was over. Most of todays programs leave me feeling like I need a bath to remove the slime spay. SO - most evenings we watch Fox news, The History Channel, Mil. History Channel, The Learnng Channel, Hunting/Fishing shows, Bill Gaither music shows, etc.... or read.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12