Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H&G moulds are JUNK!

Boolit Master

H&G moulds are JUNK!

And if everyone here will agree with that, and say how terrible they are, maybe the eBay prices will come down to the point where I can afford one!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Dreaming never cost anyone anything.................

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I doubt that those who have and use them will go along with you dream but as the man said it don't cost ya nothing to dream . Unless of course someone sees your headline and takes that as fightin' words . Should that happen you find it to have been easier to take on a part time job for just long enough to buy the mold . It would be easier than trying to frag a bunch of guys who got nets on the windows and know how to bite back

Jack

Boolit Buddy

I can only say that buying H&G Moulds is a personal choice that one makes...

Having owned 40+ of the H&G 8 and 10 cav moulds you will never find anyone who has ever used these moulds would call them "JUNK".. Just ain't going to happen!!!!... I still have 11 H&G Moulds and will keep them until I can longer cast..

Sure you can grumble about the prices today but in reality the prices today reflect what guys are willing to pay for excellent quality.... My feeling is "don't pay more then you feel it is worth to you".... If you don't like the price just walk away..
    Last edited by starreloader; 06-04-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: spelling error

Boolit Master

I have 18 of the 8 & 10 cavity moulds and they are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of the suppository molds available!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Banned

I dunno, I know a guy who bought 3 HG 4C moulds for $75 for all 3 of them... It may be working.

Boolit Master
    I will keep my H &G #50 4 cav thank you. "Differant strokes for differant folks"

Boolit Master

Come on guys, how am I ever going to afford an H&G mould if y'all keep singing their praises? Let everyone know how rotten they really are, so some of those eBay sellers will be happy they got rid of those pieces of junk, and more of us folks that really want one can afford one!

Heck, one eBay kiddie found grandpa's old moulds, and the first time he listed them, he put one of them up with an opening bid of $9.99 and when he got a bunch of money for it! Then he listed one with an opening bid of $500.00 and when it didn't sell, he went down to $399.00 for a 2 cavity mould! I don't recall if it sold, I couldn't believe he went from one extreme to another.

As Blammer said, it might be working, so remember everyone, H&G moulds ain't worth the cast iron they're made out of! (But I'm such a nice guy, I'll pay you twice their cast iron value just to get them out of your way!)
    - MikeS

OK mike , since I'm such a nice guy I'll offer you a deal on a nice four cavity number one thirty . I'll even give you time to sell your baseball card collection , beer stiens , barbie dolls or even pick up aluminum cans to raise money .

I watch weasel bay too and maybe it's just me but the sellers that start with a low minimum seem to do well when they offer quality stuff and fair shipping .

As for me , I will speak as truthfully as my experiences with H&G products will allow . I will not help you degrade H&G molds . Like the man said if it costs to much walk away from the deal .

Jack

Boolit Master
    It all depends on how badley you want them. I have several and may sell some of them to offset some medical costs but they won't be cheap nor free. So Mike I will make you an offer. I have a H & G # 68bbs 4 cavity mould I will sell to you for 250.00 cash and you pay the actual shipping. How about that???? It is in great condition and has cast a very few boolits.. I took it in trade and have cast maybe 500 boolits out of it.......I can post pictures later of it if you are really interested....Money up here.....wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Calling all H & G molds junk is like calling the Holy Grail is just a cup.

Boolit Master
    Well there you have it. Two offers to sell you moulds. Do you want them???? I also will speak truthfully about H & G moulds they are/were the best ever made and will never be replaced....Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Boolit Master

Jack: Ok, I'll bite, how much do you want for the 130?

Hammerhead: I might take you up on your offer, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. What makes an old H&G mould worth twice what a Mihec mould for the same boolit, same number of cavities? From what I hear Mihec moulds are just as good, dare I say possibly better, so in effect they're the modern day equivalent of an H&G mould, and it's brand new. But having said that, yes please post some pictures of the mould, and if you can some of the boolits it casts, I'm curious how big the enlarged bevel base is on it. Does the enlarged base extend very far into the case, necessitating a much lighter powder charge? The BBS version is different enough from the 'normal' #68 that I am interested.

And for everyone that's getting all bent out of shape at the thought of calling their precious H&G mould junk, lighten up. It's just a mould. I'm sure the mould's feelings aren't hurt by whatever I call it. Now if I was saying bad things about a family member, then those would be fighting words, but a mould?

I've never used an H&G or Mihec mould yet, so I can't really sing the praises of either. I will say that of the moulds I have, the 2 SAECO moulds I have cast better than anything else I have. Preheat them properly, and the boolits just fall from the cavities! They're the only moulds I've ever used that I was able to cast perfect boolits from the very first one, to the very last one, with no rejects at all! One is a very old #12, and the other is a Redding made #69 (plain based version of the #68).

Right now I'm in on the group buy for the Mihec version of the #68, I have the SAECO #69, and even a Lee 2 cavity mould of their interpetation of the #68, so I have quite a few versions of the #68 to choose from, so if I add the 68BBS to the list that would make 4 different moulds of basically the same boolit.

For those that are cringing at the mention of a Lee mould, I have to say it casts great looking boolits, they're round, and shoot as well as the #69's I have cast. Will the mould last as long? not a chance. Is it more work to prep the mould? Yes. But in the end, it's all about the boolits, and it makes fine shooting boolits. I think the big difference between moulds is that the better ones just work, and are more forgiving of casting methods.
    - MikeS

Well that's right easy Mike , a number thirty-four plain base in the same condition even up . But if H&G is junk , I can't imagine you wanting one anyway . Those makers that have gained the reputation as the best have earned that just as those that have issues with the product . If Mihec is as good for you , it sounds as though you have the problem fixed anyway .

From what I read here , molds are like family to some and it's not unreasonable at all when an inanimate object is given to you by a family member you respect . From what I've seen for the number thirty-four in equal condition , Hammerhead is offering you the best in a new family member for your crowd of sixty-eights . But then after all , it's just a mold , ya know I have a Lee also and you're right the bullets can be shot and the molds are so much cheaper .

Jack

Boolit Master

Jack:

Ok, obviously you don't understand what I'm saying. I don't believe H&G moulds are junk. I think they're probably some of the finest moulds made. I do believe (from what I've heard) that the Mihec moulds are equal to an H&G mould, but that's another matter. The point I was trying to make, and I see you don't understand what I was saying is that when everyone says how great the H&G moulds are, then it seems like the prices go sky high on eBay, possibly here too. So, if folks were to say how bad they were, then prices would go down.

I don't care how much I like something, how great I think it is, etc. If I can get one cheaper by calling it junk, then junk it is!

And I do understand having something that a family member giving you, and wanting to keep it, if for no other reason than that the family member gave it to you. What I don't understand is actually considering an inanimate object family, but that's just me.

But you still have not answered my question. How much do you want for either your 130 or 34?
    - MikeS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Heck, one eBay kiddie found grandpa's old moulds, and the first time he listed them, he put one of them up with an opening bid of $9.99 and when he got a bunch of money for it! Then he listed one with an opening bid of $500.00 and when it didn't sell, he went down to $399.00 for a 2 cavity mould! I don't recall if it sold, I couldn't believe he went from one extreme to another.
    He ain't a kid. He's been emailing me for some time and I tried to 'splain things to him but the best analogy I can think of is if someone asks you for a match you may want to check to see if they are standing in a barrel of gasoline.

I tried to help and gave up.

Tom in VA
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boolit Buddy
    Well Mr. Mike... you touched a nerve.
    If I understand your posts , you are asking me to say things that are absolutely not true just so you can get into an H&G mould for less money than the going price. Do the words honor, integrity ,ethics mean anything to you ?
    People who ask what's so special about H&G moulds are people who do not own H&G moulds. My H&G gang moulds are an investment in my son's retirement.

Boolit Master
    You need to stay off ebay. That will solve the problem.

Boolit Master

Ok, I thought the in my original post would let folks know that it was said in jest. What I don't understand is how saying what I did could as you put it 'touch a nerve'? As I said in an earlier post, if I was saying bad things about your wife, or daughter, I could understand somebody getting all upset. But getting all upset over a piece of cast iron? I just really don't understand that.

As for honor, integrity, ethics, yes, they mean a lot. I think I'm a very honorable person, but honor has nothing to do with saying something originally in jest. I only got more serious about it when folks here started getting all upset that I dared to say such a thing. As for 'the going rate' have you ever heard of artificial inflation? A perfect example is the TV show Mad Money. If you watch that show, when Jim is talking about a particular stock, if he's singing the praises of it, you can watch the ticker that runs on the bottom of the screen and actually see that stocks price rising as he's talking! Is a stock really worth more because one person is saying how great the company is? And not all H&G moulds are such great things, some really are junk, because somebody that didn't know better cleaned all the rust off the mould blocks with a stiff wire wheel. Do you believe that a ruined mould is worth $400.00 just because it has the H&G name on it? I'm sorry, but I don't care how great a mould is, I can't see ANY mould being worth $400.00 or more that some of the H&G moulds are bringing on eBay!

And again, I originally posted the original message in jest (the smiley face should have been a clue), I've already stated in an earlier message that I don't think they're junk, and I'm really sorry if some folks here have no sense of humor.

One thought about your son's retirement, in the times we're living in, I would say that nothing shooting related should be thought of as a long term investment. What happens to the value of any mould when using lead in anything becomes outlawed? Or if they make a law that only jacketed bullets that have serial numbers inside the jacket (or a microchip ID) can be sold? I hope I don't live long enough to see that, but it could happen.

This is the last thing I have to say about this whole thing. I'm really sorry that I posted this thread, I never expected to get the response I did, and I'm over it.

But if those folks that offered to sell me some H&G moulds are serious about it, I would love to see some pix of the moulds, as I do want to eventually get few of them if I can find well maintained ones at reasonable prices. Thanks.
    - MikeS