Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HOG pictures and stories would be a blessing.

Boolit Master
    Wow, I count more than a dozen hogs there! Happy Shooting now!

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Buddy
    And you are complaining TCrocker??? LOL Some of us would kill (pun intended) to have hog hunting like that.

Tom

Boolit Buddy
    Last oct, during ga muzzleloader hunt, found myself in the middle of my favorite swamp, nothing moving, not even a breeze, I didn't even hear this monster hog come In , real unusual, anyway I leveled my 1861 Fayetteville right between the shoulders , touched it off sending a 467 grain rcbs n-ssa wad cutter backed by 75 grs of goex 3fg , right into his head , it knocked that monster right I to the mud, I didn't even bother to reload, looking to my left I saw two white flags and a snort and bark from two stinking does, heard a gasp grunt and groan in the direction of my pig, I literly saw that thing stand up, shake it's damn head blood brain matter fur and scull fragments, fly in all directions, I said oh my god, you your not leaving it not possible, I loaded as this thing was starting to turn left, I hped recapped and fired sending another right into the monsters left low side just behind it's left elbow, normally were the heart is , it smacked it to the ground, to my dismay it got up and started runnning, man there was more blood on the ground, than water , we got tracking dogs from the nieghbors place , you know we 8 of us tracked it for 8 hours , we never recovered it, but he was seen last week, side of head missing, same brownred coloring, this thing was massive, it's over 400 lbs easy, well it's a no ******** story, that same rifle has nailed 2 other pig 255,240 lbs. So I don't know what the deal was , quite possibly it wasn't it's time, and it's a true surviver.

Talking

No I decovered I love hog hunting. I'd just as soon hunt hogs over deer. Last deer season I was on a trail and heard a deer working his way down a trail then I heard some hogs grunting just down the creek a bit so I went after the hogs just couldn't get close to them. But fun all the same.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Holy Cow! That's quite a heard of hogs.

It looks like if a guy was shooting a bullet with enough penetration he might be able to get two or three hogs with one shot.

When they're packed that tightly together a load of buckshot aimed at the heads of two or three together might accomplish the same thing.

Just dreaming out loud.

HollowPoint

I know for a fact that a 45-70 loaded with a 460 gr hammer head will penetrate and kill two large hogs with one shot. And you don't even have to aim for the heads.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Buddy
    Most interested in the experience folks have had with cast boolits on piggies. Have used piggies as test for heavy rifles from 9,3x62, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and several wild cats such as .376/.416 Steyr Improved and .458 AccRel. Several of those rifles are wonderfully accurate with cast boolits.

Also interested in any experience folks might have had with the .300 Whisper, 300/221, and 300 BLK on piggies.

Thanks!

Gday Guy's Every where I look on here I find Fellow Aussie Hunters, Yep there is just some thing very satisfying about hunting Hogs with a big calibre Cast Lead bullet, I spent 16 years up in the tropics ( Darwin ) N.T. hunting Hogs, Donkeys and Buffs, and the Odd Dingo and Brumby for good measure, Used to Shoot 225Grain Cast Gas Checked RCBS Bullet from my old M-94 Winchester in .44-40 and pushed them hard( as in throw the case away after 3 shots as from 4 or more shots they would start to brake in half) Used IMR4227 and then latter AR2205 Powder as it became available ( we are talking early 1980's on wards) it was a deadly little light weight killer on hogs and large Donkeys, that pill would break both shoulders at 60m on a big Jack donkey, as with pigs it would leave the lead pill nicely mushroomed under the hide on the for side, Love that old 44-40Winchester round once its loaded up to its full potential(it has more powder space than the 44mag) In time I moved on to the Marlin 45-70 for hunting Buffs again with lead cast gas checked bullets again pushed hard 52Grains of IMR3031powder with Win Brass and a 405 Grain lead bullet for 1880FPS, same load with Winchester 405 Grain Jacketed bullet gave about 1775FPS both were great Buff killing pills, again on shoulder shots with the pills under the hide on the far side of the body, one of the retrieved 405Gr Winchester pills at its widest point measured 0.900" not bad for some thing that started out at .457", In time I found that the 300Grain Gas Checked RCBS Pill pushed between 1900 and 2000FPS was more than enough pill for any Buff, hog or donkey and was much nicer to shoot that the 400 and 482Gr grain pills that I had started with years earlier, the 300Gr RCBS became my standard pill for all of my 45-70 hunting after that right up till I left the N.T. 1998, Many of the Best years of my life were spent hunting in the Top End. As for that old 44-40WCF I made it into a 45Long colt( had the barrel re-bored to .452"Dia: with a 1-14" twist ) had ta do a few mods ta make the old gal work but its better now than it ever was, Again the 45LC Loaded up hard with a cast lead pill is a great killer as well, if not better than before? 20years latter and Iv still NOT broken 45LC case in half, Hell knows Iv tried to this old case in a Rifle can get a 200Grain bullet fairly craken across the flat on its way to hog town or goats town as it now is, As Im living down south now in S.Aust: its just goats and more goats so these days the old lead chuckers don't see much use and it's back to more modern stuff ( well there's a short 25year history of my life with levers and Lead) cheers all. from AussieHunter PS: Please note That if you are shooting any Marlin Lever gun They ALL have Over size Bores My 45-70 had a .461" Dia Bore it gave me no end of leading until I started using Gas Checks and then moved up to shooting a bullet 1 or 2 thou: Over size then it worked well, Marlin Micro Groove Rifling is VERY Good with Lead Gas Checked Bullets AS LONG AS THEY ARE THAT .001 or .002 Thou over size. The Marlin 30-30 bore will slug out at .311 or .312 ( yep thats a 303 cal bore) and again if you slug your bore and shoot a cast bullet thats 1 or 2 thou: over size your problems are just about Nil. my .44 and 45 cal lead mix in the old days was just straight wheel weights, 10LBS of W-Weights to 1 bar of 50-50 plumbers solder and use [ Good Alox based Bullet Lube that mix killed many Hogs, donkeys and Buffs all with good results.

Years ago Up in Darwin ( Northern Australia) I borrowed a .375H&H Parker Hale Rifle from My Local Gun shop to prove a point to them, in regards to how good a cast lead bullet will kill, I used 10lbs of wheel weights and some linotype printers lead and a stick on bar solder I cast up some 270Gr pills from a Double Cavity RCBS Mould WITH Gas Checks fitted, Because of the calibre I made them fairly hard but NOT Brittle, and proceeded to develop load data using the then(308 military powder) AR2206 Powder( similar to IMR3031 in Burning rate) I don't recall the charge weight now but I was looking for 2500FPS and ended up with 2550FPS it shot well with little to no leading the pills mushroomed well and did their job just fine, I had set out to prove that you didn't need full house 270Gr silver tip or 300gr FMJ Winchester factory loads to kill a Asiatic Water Buffalo ( they are much softer/easier to kill than African Cape Buffalo) But that said you still don't want to hurt a Water Buff and not take due care as they can develop a very dark attitude towards you if you don't place you shot well, Iv had 2 over the the years that I can remember that were determined to have a piece of me, or more correctly my mate that I as backing up, their approach due to injury was slow but very determined with ill intent on their minds waving a good set of horns around in the process just to make the point very clear as to what they had in mind for us, in this mode they have their nose down and head/horns forward (In Charge Mode) this gives you a flat surface to shoot at and the brain is right up high between the horns under what is in effect two layers of bone knitted together it has been known to stop small high speed calibres, also if this animal is some distance off and is just standing there looking down its nose at you so to speak, the angle and toughness of their skull has been known to deflect heavy calibre rounds even 458Win Mag, but it does leave them with a sudden attitude change, Any way about the 2 that came looking for us One was put down at about 20 feet from us, the other I brain shot with a Speer Brand 400gr 45-70 bullet traveling at 1780FPS from 10 feet away, The bullet passed through the left side of the brain and stopped under the hide beneath the bottom of the jaw, the bullet pulled up in like about 12 inches but thats a lot of bone and mussel to deal with and the Speer bullet was a very Soft design, great on Hogs But not much good on big heavy buff's. But Hey Dead is Dead at the end of the day and it was the buff not me or the guy that I was backing up.{:>) Cheers From the AussieHunter

Boolit Master
    Got home yesterday from a couple day trip for work and found that most of what used to be the yard looks like it was roto tilled. This dry weather has them coming out of their usual haunts looking for food and water anywhere.

Boolit Buddy

Nice pigs, I still have to harvest my first one. they are spreading out here in California!

Tis was my first Hog, talk about luck of the Irish

45-70 Marlin, Ranch Dog 360gr cast.
    Shoot him on the run, broke his little neck

great pics guys keep em coming ...
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Master
    Here are a few of mine.

Shot this sow in North Carolina last year around this time right around midnight. Was using my Ruger Bisley Hunter in .44 Mag, stoked with 320 grain WFNs. Shot was offhand at right around 50-yards (double lung). I was using an Elusive Wildlife XLR 250 green light mounted to my barrel. She went just over 225-lbs.

This 200-lb sow was also shot in North Carolina a few years ago -- again, at night, but with my custom SRH in .475 Linebaugh. Was using 44man's 420 grain bullet. Shot was about 40-yards.

This little meat hog was shot in Florida with my .475 SRH. Same loads as above.

This Florida boar also fell to my .475 SRH -- same load -- from an 80-yard shot:

This Florida boar died from lead poisoning administered by my SRH in .454 Casull. The load was a 400 grain WFN at 1,400 fps. Shot was about 35 yards offhand.

Semper Fidelis

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    45-70 Marlin, Ranch Dog 360gr cast.
    Shoot him on the run, broke his little neck
    That's a really good hog, Topper!
    Semper Fidelis

A brand new bolt action .22WMR and some nice country not far from home.

I was stalking though a swampy area with plenty of feed, pig sign and sound.
    Just ahead I saw a pigs backside as it was rooting up some fresh ground and stalking to within 30yds I was able to see it's head, I found a steady rest against a tree and shot it in the neck breaking the spine and the cutting up the throat.

Was a very tasty wee sow:
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    – P. J. O’Rourke

And then just this past Saturday we hunted some new territory with the dogs, grey hound cross with bull terrier:

Been awhile since I caught a hog but I still managed to perfectly stick this boar in the heart with my knife while the dogs held the ears:

Got some currently roasting with veges and apple sauce cooking ready for my dinner.
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    – P. J. O’Rourke

Boolit Mold
    Sir, I have never seen so many hogs, or such big ones. Thank you for the pictures

Here's a real big one.

No, that's not me in the pic.

This monster was supposedly shot in Western Australia.

The biggest one I've shot was maybe 100 kgs in the the top end of New South Wales.

It is amazing how many pigs are in the outback of Australia, even more so that you can find them in fairly dry areas well away from major waterways.

Boolit Buddy
    fantastic pictures folks thanks so much for sharing with us all!
    Jonathan