WidenersMCD ProductsRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Mono vs linotype

  1. #21
    Banned








    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    munising Michigan
    Posts
    17,724
    from what i was told most printing shops made there own spacers out of linotype. So it is linotype but it could be older linotype that has lost some of its antimony in lead from be used over and over.

  2. #22
    Black Powder 100%


    cajun shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    4,416

    alloy

    I can't remember if it was Glen Fryxell that wrote the following information or not but there was a paragraph or two that stated for the bullet caster to stay away from foundry type. Maybe it was in the Lyman casting book.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

  3. #23
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Posts
    4

    Foundry ? Mono ?

    Waking up an old thread instead of starting a new one.

    I will test for hardness later, but for now I thought I would post a pic of my find today.

    24 pounds of relatively clean material.

    So what do you think? Mono Type or Foundry Type?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mono combo pic.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	310427
    Last edited by tmd17; 02-12-2023 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo

  4. #24
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Posts
    4
    My Lee Hardness Test Kit indicates about 20 BHN, but a 2H pencil will not scratch it!

  5. #25
    Boolit Master 6622729's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by tmd17 View Post
    My Lee Hardness Test Kit indicates about 20 BHN, but a 2H pencil will not scratch it!
    I trust the pencils. Remember to scratch the lead with a square edge on your pencil lead. In other words, the lead of the pencil must be ground flat. Hold at 45 degrees to the lead. Work your way up the pencils in hardness until one scratches it. No matter which type of lead you end up having, you have some prime material for alloying soft lead. Congrats!

  6. #26
    Boolit Mold Piłsudski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Home on the range
    Posts
    22
    This is an old thread, but my wondering about the answer isn't. I began to wonder about some stock I bought on eBay and so was thinking about posting a question, but a search turned this thread up. Maybe someone else will find what I found to be helpful:

    https://swamppress.com/pdf/Type%20Identifier-new.pdf

    As usual, the subject of printing lead alloys is a bit more complex than first meets the eye, and alloy composition is not always the same, even with alloys that go by the same name.

    I hope this helps; I now have some sorting to do and math to recalculate.

  7. #27
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Piłsudski View Post
    This is an old thread, but my wondering about the answer isn't. I began to wonder about some stock I bought on eBay and so was thinking about posting a question, but a search turned this thread up. Maybe someone else will find what I found to be helpful:

    https://swamppress.com/pdf/Type%20Identifier-new.pdf

    As usual, the subject of printing lead alloys is a bit more complex than first meets the eye, and alloy composition is not always the same, even with alloys that go by the same name.

    I hope this helps; I now have some sorting to do and math to recalculate.
    Thanks for that link. More info is more better.

  8. #28
    Boolit Master facetious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    560
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

  9. #29
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Communist New Jersey
    Posts
    1,024
    Oh those pictures bring back flashbacks with the type galley's and the composing sticks and the linotype machine. I really miss those days. I ran a letterpress all the way up till 1988. But the Kluge letterpress I was running there used solid wood blocks with a thin 1/8" formed metal plate as the printing medium. I am not sure what those plates were made of. I still have a few around here somewhere, I will have to send off a sample to BNE and see what they are. Certainly not lead.

  10. #30
    Boolit Master facetious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Oh those pictures bring back flashbacks with the type galley's and the composing sticks and the linotype machine. I really miss those days. I ran a letterpress all the way up till 1988. But the Kluge letterpress I was running there used solid wood blocks with a thin 1/8" formed metal plate as the printing medium. I am not sure what those plates were made of. I still have a few around here somewhere, I will have to send off a sample to BNE and see what they are. Certainly not lead.
    I did my apprenticeship on HOE Colormatic letterpress. Did 40 years 19 day working on news paper press's. Stereotype was the lead used for rotary letter press . By 1991 every thing had gone to litho. Worked on GOSS , than Manroland press's.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

  11. #31
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Communist New Jersey
    Posts
    1,024
    I remember the Goss presses, I never ran one but I saw them in operation. They are still using Rotogravure machines to this day. We had a smaller one color gravure press in the place I worked and I did run it a few times when the regular operator was out. It was a nice smooth machine to run. I do not remember the brand. It was 58 years ago but I still remember the press lineup in that shop! A Miele vertical, that grovure press, and old hand feed platen press, the Heidelberg that I ran most of the time and the paper cutter. halfway across the shop from the paper cutter was the Linotype machine, the lead shower special we called it. I am sure you know why. And opposite the first three machines were the type galleys and lockup area. On the far side of the shop were "Those OTHER guys" you know, the lowly offset presses. LOL.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check