Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Gun?

Boolit Bub
    Looks like the same Good Ole Boys & Gals as around here. I never could get into the period dress thing (mainly because I'm a Big Ole Boy myself) and can't find any to fit me.

Those ranges look nice but that is alot of money to shoot. There are a couple of good ranges east of me about a hours drive but nothing over 200 yds close by except for private ranges.

My Daughter has been doing a Residency at the VA Hosp. in Fayetteville for the last year and has had to go to a couple of the VA Hospitals or Universities around Athens Ga. for a week or two at a time. Ahh, the post college, medschool life. She has had a couple of offers but she wants to remain as close to Charleston SC as possibe. My wife and I spend alot of time in Charleston visiting. I know thats still quite a ways from you but I do get down that way every now and then.
    Last edited by .452dia; 05-26-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Looks like the same Good Ole Boys & Gals as arround here
    You WISH. We are a whole lot's more better lookin' than yawl are. Didja notice how much better we look hold'in them BPC& R rifalguns? And the best look'in ones are hold'in them Browning BPC&R's. So if you wanna look good too, you know which rifalgun to get.
    Last edited by Black Prince; 05-27-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

The esteemed Mr. Alterfurz has some photos available, including the Cybershoot.

http://community.webshots.com/user/alterfurz
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Well now dang it Wills, you have caused me to sit here half the morning looking at all of those photo's and I have got to install a brass butt plate on my Stevens 44 1/2 action buttstock and planned to do it this morning. I filed on that darn thing about four hours yesterday to get it cleaned up. When they say those things are rough sand castings, they ought to put the word ROUGH in capital letters. Great photo's. THANKS!
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    The esteemed Mr. Alterfurz has some photos available, including the Cybershoot.

http://community.webshots.com/user/alterfurz
    Those Dutch Oven Biscuits look good as long as that not the same Dutch Oven he melts his lead in.
    Whats that round white thing with the black hose on it in the photo of the saugsage cooking?

Boolit Master
    I remember chatting with Mr. Alterfurz's when we were at Shooters. That is where I started out on the BPC forum.
    It was my good fortune to meet his crew at the 03 Quiggley. He was very busy spotting for a couple German visitors but still tried to help me by spotting for me as well.
    I did quite well there on my score but would not have without a spotter.
    I lost touch with him after the move from Shooters. I would like to know where he hangs out now. Its a bit late but I never did get to thank him.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Prince View Post
    Well now dang it Wills, you have caused me to sit here half the morning looking at all of those photo's and I have got to install a brass butt plate on my Stevens 44 1/2 action buttstock and planned to do it this morning. I filed on that darn thing about four hours yesterday to get it cleaned up. When they say those things are rough sand castings, they ought to put the word ROUGH in capital letters. Great photo's. THANKS!
    Some pictues and details of that project would be nice...
    Is it an original you're rebuilding or one of the new ones your finishing,.. Inquiring minds want to know...
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

After the shooters board closed (when was that?) Alterfurz ran a group on MSN, and moved to Texas, somewhere not far from here, I think. I believe he came to some matches at YCSA. The e mail address I have no longer works. I will see if I locate him.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Wal Don, here's ah pictute of the dang thang, just for you.

Actually, there are TWO photo's of it. It looks a lot better here that it really is because until I cut the bottom flat on the belt sander. there was NOTHING flat, sqaure, plumb, or level on it. It is full of small casting imperfections and the mould marks are boogers to file out. But a redneck rifle builder has to suck it up and go ahead because it's all he can do.
    Last edited by Black Prince; 06-26-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Looks like a challenge, but I'll bet it's going to be fancy looking when you geterdone.

Wal Don, I did not intend to leave this thread here, but my hard drive crashed here. so . . .

BTW, I had Carbonite back up, but guess what? They could not find my files. I had been on Carbonite for two years on two different computers and they could not get ANY of my files at all. Jist a little "didja know" for any of you boys using it.

Anyway, here are a BUNCH OF PHOTO'S of what I was doing at the time. I bought this barrelled ( Douglas XX Premium done by Paul Shuttleworth) action (original Stevens 44 1/2) from a friend who bought it several years ago intending to do to it what I did, but he had heart problems and never did it, so I bought the "project" rifle from him.

Finished Rifle project except for palm rest I'm still working on. But check out the photo's below to see what it took to get to this point.

Last edited by Black Prince; 06-26-2011 at 11:38 AM.

And that is the easy part.

[
    Last edited by Black Prince; 06-26-2011 at 01:52 PM.

The firing pin was braded and had a mushroom on the end of it when I got it. Some people ought not own firearms and whoever did this is one of'em.

This shows the firing pin also bent upward. It will not move in the block at all. You can't chamber a round and close the action because the protruding firing pin hits the cartridge base and jams everything. Whoever did it also managed to scratch the refinished block installing it in the action. Notice also the mark the firing pin left on the extractor face. The extractors in these actions have a small grove in them in case something like this happens and it happens so much with these actions, they built in what they thought would keep the pin from breaking, and in this case, it did not break. But if it will not move, who cares if it is broke or not? The dang thing won't work either way.

I CAREFULLY used a swiss needle file and filed the mushroom off the firing pin, and then filed it on top where it was bent upwards until I could push it back inside the block with my fingers. I hoped the breech face on the block had not been damaged by the pin being bent. I reinstalled the firing pin after removing it and cleaning/polishing it, but you can see how much I had to take off of it, and this AIN'T gonna work no.

Here is the new firing pin I got from CPA. I also got a new hammer screw because the one in the action is so messed up, I will have to weld it and recut it. For two bucks I just bought a new one. You can see the new hammer screw and the refinished trigger screws in this photo. Notice they are alingned with the long axis of the rifle they way the old Brownings used to be made. I also got a couple of nice oval head blued gun screws to mount the butt plate. I installed the new firing pin and fired a primer in a case in it to check it. The primer and case had a small mark on them where something on the breech face marked them. My hope that the bent firing pin had not damaged the block face did not prove to be good. So I wraped my needle file in a piece of 1500 grit paper and very carefully and lightly polished around the firing pin and reinstalled the block. I fired another primer loaded case and here it is below. No marks and a nice clean case head like it should be. Okay. Now I am happy and ready to get on with the project. Oh. I didn't tell yawl about having to widen the grove in the firing pin to increase the length of travel so it could retract all the way below the breech face and having to install another rebound spring and all that business, but I had to do all of that to get to this point. Working on old guns is so much fun sometimes. It's like a puzzle, only you have to figure out what the last redneck did to it and fix that before you can move ahead.

Success is a nice, clean case after firing and extracting.

Well here I am feeling cocky about getting this project finished. So I lay out a diamond pattern on the forestock and I'm gonna checker it.

And here I have discovered I laid it out wrong and that I can't see 20 lines per inch, this is fugly and it's gotta go. Oh, and that is about the second coat of finish drying on the buttstock there. I think I only used a half gallon of pollyurathane on this project. ( So far.)

And here I scraped it off and I'll have to refinish the forearm AGAIN. (This will be the THIRD time. So far anyway.) Sometimes I zip my zipper up on my jeans before I oughta do it. And every time I do it, I say, DANG! Doan do that no more and then I get inna hurry and do it again.

I gotta nuther barrelled action from the same fella, but don't want to start it now. Think I'll save it for next summers rifle project and start loading for this one to see if it'll shoot worth a hoot.

Here's my first batch of bullets for it. The bullets are cast 1 part tin to 25 parts lead. They drop out of the mould at 250 grains and mike at .3787. My bore air gages at .3762. I have a Lee push through sizing die at .377, so somewhere between as cast diameter and the Lee die at .377, they will fit. Well, that's the THEORY anyway. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Black Prince; 06-26-2011 at 02:19 PM.

very nice

Boolit Buddy
    Just my 2 cents .452 you said you wanted to start shooting BPCR matches .You didn't say you wanted to win .I would get what ever I could afford and enjoy the match first or last a day at the range with new friends can't be beat .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123