RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: What is the norm

Boolit Master

Wink What is the norm

---What is the norm if there is a norm---loads below 1600fps or loads above 1600fps or in general is it both ? --- I myself prefer loads of 1800 to 2200fps although I see post of shooters down 1300fps---Would like comments on this question---If some one was shooting 1300fps what distance would a load like that be capable of------Mag-----

Boolit Master
    Well in BPC 1300 fps is good for 1000 yards.
    BIC/BS

In Remebrance

Mag- Could you be a little more specific? Rifle/handgun, target/hunting/plinking, cartridge in question, ie-32-20 or 30-06?

Boolit Master

Wink

My question was target (steel or paper) in the .308 class example 7.62x54R---8mm---30-30----7.5x55-----303-----7.62x39----With lead boolits---Are most shooters on the higher end or the lower end----and is the main reason on lower end economy and light recoil ?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mag_01 View Post
    My question was target (steel or paper) in the .308 class example 7.62x54R---8mm---30-30----7.5x55-----303-----7.62x39----With lead boolits---Are most shooters on the higher end or the lower end----and is the main reason on lower end economy and light recoil ?
    In the .30/.31 cals I'd have to say I go "high/low"; most all of my high loads will be 150-210 gr bullets in the 1700 to 1900 fps range for accuracy. I mostly use 4895 with a dacron filler for the heavier bullet loads and 2400 or H4227 without dacron for the lighter weigth bullets. Accuracy at the highest velocity (based on an RPM between 120,000 and 135,000) is mostly the criteria for the load. I load some big game hunting loads up with the heavier bullets to 2,000 to 2,200 fps mostly with 4895 or slower powders with acceptable hunting accuracy of the first 5 shots being the criteria. With a 1-12" twist barrel I can push that up to 2,300+ fps.

In the 'low" end catagory I shoot an aweful lot of Lee's TL314-90-SWC over 2.7 to 3.2 gr of Bullseye depending on case volume. No wad or filler used. These run 800 -900 fps and are wonderful for kids to shoot as there is little noise and no recoil. They are great for plinking, short range target (gallery) loads and small game hunting. I also shoot some of the heavy bullets cast of soft lead over 2.7 gr Bullseye (Paco's "cat's sneeze" type loads) in my longer barreled milsurp rifles. Velocity is in the low to mid 500 fps and accuracy is very good to 50 yards.

With both high and low loads I load for performance for a given application. While cost is always a consideration it does not drive the train with my loads.

I've a few other essoteric loads I use now and then and of course am always experimenting but the above covers most of my cast bullet shooting with the larger .30/.31 cal rifles.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    -----Thanks Larry nice response------Mag

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    In general, try for making loads that shoot in increments of 300 fps. LIke 600, 900, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2100, 2400.....3300. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I'm with Larry,fast or slow normaly Pat

In Remebrance

In 308 class I tend to go for 15-1800 with a heavy for the caliber booilt, 180 gr+, and with the plinkers ( 80-125 gr) I go for around 1000 fps. Sounds like a lot of us are on the same page.

Boolit Master

In the 8mm, I like the 250gr boolits to run around 1500-1600. It is not unpleasant to shoot and still has enought energy to swat a Whitetail deer down with no problem. I have slowed them down to 1100fps and still get good accuracy and recoil is comparable to a 22hornet. My 6yr old son loves to shoot those!

I also shoot 190gr boolits to around 2000fps. The load is still under developement, but so far 2" groups at 100yds have occured. It is still very tame to shoot as the rifle just bounces on the bags when fired, not much more.

Of course all my BPCR stuff is 1300fps or less. It produces fine accuracy and has put meat in the freezer too.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that "normal velocity" applies to what your intended purpose for a given load. Plinking loads are fun ,but I look for the happy medium so that one load will do many things equally well.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator

..............In most any main battle rifle cartridge, 'As a rule' I load to 1600 - 1800 fps. That is just for general shooting. plinking, target practice.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy

30-06 03-A3 , I like the Lyman 311284 boolits to shoot around 1600 fps for my fun load. Ron