Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 9mm 6-cavity mold suggestion needed

Boolit Master

9mm 6-cavity mold suggestion needed

It has to shoot well in a Beretta 92 and it would be nice if it shot well in a P38, P08, High Power, etc, and I'd like it to shoot well with a ball powder for ease of progressive loading. I believe I would prefer something in the 115 to 124gr range. I prefer using NRA formula 50/50 lube over Lee LA. Any suggestions as to bullet and loads?

I've been using a 147gr boattail SAECO with 231, which has worked well, but I usually shoot 115gr jacketed bullets.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

CDD

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Take a look here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11419

A good 124 gr. RN waiting on a Honcho!

Super Moderator

...............My Witness in 38 Super just LOVES the Lyman 147gr FNBB and 7.2grs of WC820!!!!!! . About 1175 fps form the 4.5" bbl.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Both of the Lee 122-125 grain boolits--the truncated cone and the RN--have done well for me in a wide variety of 9mm pistols. There will usually be a "sweet spot" found between 4.5 and 5.0 grain with WW-231. Not the highest velocity necessarily, but the 1-10" twist and oversize grooves don't augur well for high-end speeds anyway. Reliable function tends to start at pressures producing 950-1000 FPS, and although the boolit is safely capable of going 1250 FPS before pressure gets near to red-line.......accuracy starts to fall off at about 1100 FPS in many pistols with stock barrels. Harder alloys--softer lubes--and size integrity are my routes to success with this caliber.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    We've used the Lee 6 cavity molds (two at a time for quantity) for the truncated cone bullet with excellent results. Lubed with Alox/Beeswax, and 4756 or HS6 for powder (in the 4+ grain neighborhood), WW small pistol primers, and whatever case is on hand, we get no leading at all and excellent accuracy. Tried it in several S&W autos, P-38's, P-1's, Lugers, Brownings, what have you. Searched quite a while for something that didn't lead and the two powders above did it. We got leading in all pistols with 231. I prefer the 4756 and my buddy prefers HS6 for accuracy so take your pick.

Merry Christmas all!

Phil

Cheers,

Phil

On sale at Midway for 32.99.

Works very well in all of my 9MM's

Boolit Master
    My two S&W PPC-9's really like the Lee 120gr 120TC bullet. My mould casts them with air cooled wheel weights to 122gr.

I prefer 5.2gr of Hod. LongShot, for 1180fps from the 4" bbl. The 6"bbl gets 1,220fps and shoots to 1.5" at 50yds with this load.

Second favorite is 4.7gr of Win WSF (SuperField). Similar velocities, accuracy slightly below the LongShot.

I really like the 6-cavity Lee moulds. Lot's and Lot's of bullets in a hurry!

On sale at Midway for 32.99.

Works very well in all of my 9MM's

Boolit Master

The Lee 121 tc bullet has been very accurate for me with a large number of powders but is at it's best with Hogdons Longshot which is a ball powder.