MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMCD Products

Thread: Can someone ID this sight?

Boolit Buddy

Can someone ID this sight?

A buddy gave me this sight a few weeks ago, and I figured I'd never use it, but today another buddy swapped me a pre 64 winny 30-30 for a lead sled and now I'm thinking maybe I can use this thing if I can find all the parts...
    On the flat side with the elevation marks there is a very faint stamping of a circle with what appears to be a deer jumping thru it.
    Jack..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

This is an easy one. That is the elevation slide from a Lyman 48 receiver sight. You will need the base which mounts on the rifle if you want to use it.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    See there, I knew someone would know.. Now all I have to do is fid the rest of the parts. Do u know if they are available on line somewhere???
    Thanks a million for the fast response...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Ebay will be your best source. Your slide is a long slide, most likely from an 03 Springfield, but it will fit any Lyman 48 base.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Charger, thanks a million. I'll put it on Ebay right now. Might as well.
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    Ebay will be your best source. Your slide is a long slide, most likely from an 03 Springfield, but it will fit any Lyman 48 base.
    The sight mounts on the left side of a reciever, the o3 is on the right.

Sharp eyes.. You are correct. The Lyman 48 for the Krag also came in a long slide version and mounted on the left side of the receiver.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

others

Slide looks identical to the three that are on my Win.Mod.54s..don't have any extra bases,though.... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master

Base for long slide

Wildman Jack, I think I have the base for the sight you have. It is for a Winchester model 54 or 70. The Springfield or Mauser would mount on the right side and the Winchester on the left. It is an old one and you can tell this by the course thread. It is too late tonight to dig it out and take pictures. I will PM you sometime tomorrow.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Lyman bases

Jack, I am attaching pictures of the bases for Lyman 48 sights. The one on the left is for a Winchester and the one on the right for Mauser. The stem in the picture is missing the horizontal adjustment so I would like to purchase yours if possible.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 05-23-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Gopher,
    Man I'm sorry, I already poste4d it on FleaB ay and have bids on it. So far only to $46.00 but who knows. I did find out that it dates to the late 30's though. Never thought it was that old...
    Thanks anyway my friend....
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928