WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Magma 40 Cal 140gr RNFP loads for accuracy

Magma 40 Cal 140gr RNFP loads for accuracy

I bought this mould to try a lighter weight bullet in 40 S&W for my brother. But we've had a heck of at time finding a decent shooting recipe. I've tried alloys from WW2% to pure lino. Size .401, aboutt the same accuracy, not matter what, with 4 different powders and now two different pistols. One thing we have not tried is near max loads, which is opposite of what we're trying to accpomplish. Anyone with experience with this mould would be appreciate, pistols are an XD and a Berretta,,96 I think?????????? Might have to swap or sell it for a heavier bullet,,hate too it sure casts easy in my Master Caster.

Thanks
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Boolit Master

I only have experience with the Lee 401-180 TC. I wanted a round that could be compared to Winchester white box target ammo...for plinking / practice. I ended up using 4.0 grains of Universal Clays. It has a mild recoil and is accruate in my Glock 22 and Beretta 96-D. And no lead fouling.
    Jon

I’m thinking three things.

First you may be shooting right at the speed of sound. If shooting at 25 yards you can definitely transition. Depending upon what accuracy you are looking for that could be it. I’d say if you increase the charge to speed them up and accuracy improves the speed of sound transition was the difference.

Second. I size all my 40's to .402". But I wouldn’t think that is the issue.

Third: Does your seater stem fit the rnfp? Ammo may be a bit crocked if it doesn't.

Gabb, some very good info indeed, That RNFP may be not be fitting the seating stem very well at all.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Boolit Master
    4.2 gr of Ramshot Competition was my standard Minor load for a long time with a 140 RN sized .401 and sold by Bear creek (moly coated).. Nice light load out of my S&W 610 and would cycle my Para P16 with a 13# recoil spring. Same in my Sig 229 with a 13 # recoil spring (replaced).