Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas opens today.

Boolit Master

Cabelas opens today.

Well, here in our own Springfied Oregon. I live about 5 miles away, in Eugene.
    It's kind of ironic, my wife and I went for a 5 day long vacation early in March, and
    our first vistit ever to a Cabelas in Boomtown,(Reno) Nevada.
    We enjoyed it emensly. Very nice store and beautiful displays.
    Anyway, Cabelas has their "Ribbon Cutting Ceramony" today at 4:00 pm, and the doors open just after. Probably be standing room only. I was not going to attend, and let the crowd die down for a day or two, but I don't think I can stand the strain.
    I still want to shop at some of our local stores. There is one local department store "Bi-Mart" that is employee owned. They have been real good about keeping the locals in powder, primers and other reloading goods, the best they could, when times were tough.
    There is another new local gun shop, "Gun Pro" in Springfield that opened last year and is making a good attempt to get started. Good prices, good inventory.
    Also, a couple of other well established gun stores, in Eugene.
    If any of you live close, come on in, "If you can't stand the strain".
    Jack

In Remembrance
    I don't know how cabellas handles theirgrand opening, but I happened to be in amarillo the day gander mountain opened. They had some great sales opening day.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Keep buying local!

Another store to check out, if you like the small hometown friendly atmosphere in Eugene, is Mazama Sporting Goods. Locally owned and operated.
    They are in the Valley River Center.
    I have some friends there!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master

Yes sir, we got the morning newpaper, and there is a Cabelas pamplet, that lists quits a few sales.
    As for Mazama, I have been there many times. Jim Wade is a good fella. Nice store, good inventory for its size.
    Jack

Boolit Master

Now you will have to pay state sales tax on everything you order on line or through the catalog. It may be nice to have a store in state so you can shop in person but in Wisconsin we have two stores, the nearest is about 50 miles. At the price of gas, I won't drive my big truck that far.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Now you will have to pay state sales tax on everything you order on line or through the catalog. It may be nice to have a store in state so you can shop in person but in Wisconsin we have two stores, the nearest is about 50 miles. At the price of gas, I won't drive my big truck that far.

Bob
    HAha, No sales tax in Oregon! I visit family once a year there and bring a shopping list with me. I save enough to pay for most of my gas.

Boolit Master

Yes sir JJ, you are correct. No sales tax in Orygun.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

AH,eugene

Ah,Eugene, --Spent the summers of 56,& 57,there - working the timber(mostly on the upper Siuslaw) .in'56 boarded on Friendly St..came through there from Florence about 10 summers ago, not sure I could have found Friendly St..or much else that I remembered from my days of running with the guys Ken Kesey wrote about...Do recall the Horse that paid my first ticket to win, Oregon State fair ,Salem,1956,,Fearless Freddie....a much different country in those days,if you could reach the window with your $ that proved you were old enuff to wager, and buy beer.......Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Banned
    I literally hold up my hands when I enter a Cabellas or Gander Mountain, etc. because I know I'm about to get robbed.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Littlejack, so yer the guy that always beats me to the pewter at St. Vinnie's huh?

Condor John

Boolit Master

onceabull, back in 56 and 57, I was 7 and 8 respectively.
    Spartacus, There were a lot of folks coming out with bags of boughten goods. In general,
    you are correct, the prices are not any better than any other store, and some of prices are
    higher.
    condorjohn, I have been known to pick up a piece of pewter here and there. There hasn't
    been much around lately though. I was blaming on some one else. It must have been you.
    Jack

Boolit Master

I might stop in at Cabela's after the exitement dies down. I've been to several in other states and while they're neat to visit I couldn't find much I needed to buy.

"Gun Pro" in Springfield that opened last year and is making a good attempt to get started.
    Neil seems like a real good guy; nice shop, good prices, growing inventory. I wish him success in his new shop.

Mazama's is OK. A lot of their prices seem awful high, but at least they're friendly. SM Guns? Not so much.

Boolit Bub
    I live in Baton Rouge and we just had a cabelas and bass pro open up both are 15 minutes from my house. Me and a buddy each spent 3 hours at each store on opening day

Cabelas is the DEVIL!!! I have spent more money in the Boise, ID and Lehi, Utah Cabelas stores than I would care to think of. It's financially dangerous to have a store close by!
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Master

We must exercise some self control.

Generous Donator

I'd rather go to the Lacey Wa store. Better parking and I only live less than 2 miles from Gateway in Springfield during the week. Lacey is an hour from my place in Washington and I don't pay sales tax there either. Gun Pro is a good shop and sometimes you can get a deal at Mazama's. More so at the gun shows.

Boolit Grand Master

The Cabela's in Hamburg, PA is a few years old now. The "excitement" has never died down. The place is always packed. Tuesday morning looks the same as Saturday afternoon.

Boolit Master

we have one about 8 1/4 miles from my house go to the cave first
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Cabelas is breaking ground here now and they want to have the doors open for the spring of 2012 ! From what I understand the Canadian stores won't be as large as the US locations but I am sure it will make for some good window shopping ?

Boolit Master
    When my oldest son bought his house ,he said it was in a dangerous neighborhood.About a quarter mile from the Richfield Wisconsin store.To tempting to go there and get something,even if you don't need it.In fact,my wife wants to go there today.She twisted my arm really hard.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US