MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Project - PID on Lee Pro 4 20 furnace

Boolit Buddy
    For what it's worth.........
    Every wire connection from your temperature probe will introduce a voltage drop at that connection point.
    Granted, we are down in the milli-volt range, but so is the output of the probe.
    These voltage drops will introduce a signal to the PID that is less than the actual value being outputted from the probe.
    An example would be if you wired the probe leads to a terminal block and then from the terminal block to the PID.

So, from the probe you would have a crimp connector (point #1) on the wire that is then connected to the terminal block (point #2), then on the other side of the terminal block (point#3) is another crimp connector (point #4) with the wire going to the PID having a crimp connector (point #5) and screwed to the PID unit (point#6)

Because there are two wires on the probe you then have 12 different connection points, each adding their own voltage drop to the total BEFORE it gets to the PID.

There are male/female fittings made for thermocouples to reduce these errors, such as those you can "plug" the probe into the PID box.
    But, wiring the probe directly to the PID would certainly minimize these (12) connection point voltage drops and give better accuracy.

Hope that made sense.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    For what it's worth.........
    Every wire connection from your temperature probe will introduce a voltage drop at that connection point.
    Granted, we are down in the milli-volt range, but so is the output of the probe.
    These voltage drops will introduce a signal to the PID that is less than the actual value being outputted from the probe.
    An example would be if you wired the probe leads to a terminal block and then from the terminal block to the PID.

So, from the probe you would have a crimp connector (point #1) on the wire that is then connected to the terminal block (point #2), then on the other side of the terminal block (point#3) is another crimp connector (point #4) with the wire going to the PID having a crimp connector (point #5) and screwed to the PID unit (point#6)

Because there are two wires on the probe you then have 12 different connection points, each adding their own voltage drop to the total BEFORE it gets to the PID.

There are male/female fittings made for thermocouples to reduce these errors, such as those you can "plug" the probe into the PID box.
    But, wiring the probe directly to the PID would certainly minimize these (12) connection point voltage drops and give better accuracy.

Hope that made sense.
    Made sense to me. IF one insists on using a crimp connector, special ones are required anyhow for TC leads and they'd be a pain to find most places. Mine are even probably losing a bit having put the special male/female panel jacks in. But then it isn't too diffcult to use the offset feature on most PIDs and make the minor correction factor, if any.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W1 View Post
    Made sense to me. IF one insists on using a crimp connector, special ones are required anyhow for TC leads and they'd be a pain to find most places. Mine are even probably losing a bit having put the special male/female panel jacks in. But then it isn't too diffcult to use the offset feature on most PIDs and make the minor correction factor, if any.
    Good point, but I'm not sure doing that would be linear.
    That is, you make an offset adjustment at the PID to read 700 Deg. F (a reliable reference from the source would be in order here) but would it then be accurate at 100 Deg. F?
    I don't know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    Good point, but I'm not sure doing that would be linear.
    That is, you make an offset adjustment at the PID to read 700 Deg. F (a reliable reference from the source would be in order here) but would it then be accurate at 100 Deg. F?
    I don't know.
    Guess I don't KNOW if it'd be linear either but suspect it's definitely close enough for our purposes. I don't recall seeing more than a couple degrees difference at most when I've compared readings using my VOM at the same time with any of my 4 PID setups. FWIW
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

It’s alive!

My version of “Johnny’s Loading Bench” controller. So far, it’s been very stable and easy to use. I should have built this years ago.

Starting at 99 degrees with 10 lbs in the pot, takes a little over 12 minutes to hit 700 degrees. It overshoots to 714 and then undershoots to 699. After 20 minutes, it’s stable at 700 degrees. During mold fills it will rise to 711 degrees momentarily, but recovers very quickly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D460A68A-7F8A-425A-96A4-64B237850084.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	266887

Name:	3A1C2956-47F2-43AB-8A4B-82C8BFFB15BB.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	266888

Name:	792A98D2-9193-41CC-9B66-723C2E97041F.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	266889

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Based on having read too many pages to keep it all straight, a little clarification is needed. I did not have enough cable to use from the female thermocouple connector I mounted on the box to the PID, so I used the closest gauge copper wire I had on hand. It is reading and working but do not at the moment had a thermometer to use for comparison.

Have I committed a Bozo No-No by not using Type K specific wire? And if I did, where can I get just 12" of appropriate cable/wire?
    In an effort to correct this mis-step on 8/24 I bought a few feet of K-type wire from an eBay vendor and was looking forward to an imminent delivery tomorrow. Unfortunately my purchase originated in St Paul, Minnesota, and there it sits for 2 days, stuck in the possession of the St Paul, USPS Origin Facility, presumably waiting for sanity's return to the local masses...! Darn the luck!

edit: 8/29 the package is on the move again.
    Last edited by oley55; 08-29-2020 at 01:28 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    I have not read all 38 pages, I have a PID I put on my pot and it works, just not sure all the settings are right what are you guys using in the PID settings? Just those 3? Those 3 are the calculations used to determine/predict the temp and how much power to use. Thanks in advance

Boolit Master
    I just run auto tune and it holds within 5’ . That’s good enough for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Draftpick View Post
    I have not read all 38 pages, I have a PID I put on my pot and it works, just not sure all the settings are right what are you guys using in the PID settings? Just those 3? Those 3 are the calculations used to determine/predict the temp and how much power to use. Thanks in advance
    There are actually four values that keep the pot at the right temp
    Proportional - how far away from the set temp is the pot right now
    Integral - How far away from the set temp has the pot been
    Differential - how fast is the temperature moving toward or away from the set temp now

Integral reset - how close to the set temp do you need to be before the controller calculates the integral function

The reset function is used to overcome integrator windup when the process (heater) is at or near maximum but the temp is still far away from set point. If the integrator winds up then it will keep the temp going up until the amount of time the temperature is above setpoint is equal to that it spent below setpoint (an oversimplification).

Fill the pot, let it heat up under PID control, shut it down and let the pot cool until it just starts to solidify. Turn the controller back on and start the autotune.
    If the pot overshoots more than 25-30 degrees on startup and the heater active light is on for a while when temperature is above setpoint then decrease the Integral reset (30% is a decent setting if the P gain is set correctly)

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by pastera View Post
    There are actually four values that keep the pot at the right temp
    Proportional - how far away from the set temp is the pot right now
    Integral - How far away from the set temp has the pot been
    Differential - how fast is the temperature moving toward or away from the set temp now

Integral reset - how close to the set temp do you need to be before the controller calculates the integral function

The reset function is used to overcome integrator windup when the process (heater) is at or near maximum but the temp is still far away from set point. If the integrator winds up then it will keep the temp going up until the amount of time the temperature is above setpoint is equal to that it spent below setpoint (an oversimplification).

Fill the pot, let it heat up under PID control, shut it down and let the pot cool until it just starts to solidify. Turn the controller back on and start the autotune.
    If the pot overshoots more than 25-30 degrees on startup and the heater active light is on for a while when temperature is above setpoint then decrease the Integral reset (30% is a decent setting if the P gain is set correctly)
    Ok, thank you I will try that route.

Boolit Bub
    Just ordered parts to do this. Few weeks from now I'll be putting it in a lee 4-20

Boolit Bub
    Where did you get your box?

Boolit Bub
    The box to put all the parts in? I ordered from Amazon

Boolit Buddy
    All this talk about temperature,, how about a quiz question on temperature?

How about who can guess??

This pic is of a thermocouple,,

Slim Pickens used it in a 1964 movie he was in,,

Can anyone guess what this thermocouple is made to fit??

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMk View Post
    All this talk about temperature,, how about a quiz question on temperature?

How about who can guess??

This pic is of a thermocouple,,

Slim Pickens used it in a 1964 movie he was in,,

Can anyone guess what this thermocouple is made to fit??
    Thermonuclear device from Dr Strangelove?
    Love somebody today

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TexPatriot View Post
    Thermonuclear device from Dr Strangelove?
    OOPs, I forgot to answer that,,

That is one of the thermocouples out of the jet engines that powered the B52 bomber,,
    I was given the job of recreating the capability of manufacturing the thermocouple,
    when the GOVT decided to keep using the engine,, in 1980,,

That probe has two thermocouples, one in each "window"
    That entire assembly was always hand made, all hand welded.
    That probe was part of a multi-thermocouple harness , with about 6 of those probes.

That probe was directly in the burning fuel path inside the engine,, 1,600 degrees F,, if I remember correctly.

And all along I thought it was a thermocouple to a flux capacitor.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    And all along I thought it was a thermocouple to a flux capacitor.

Slim

This is the thermocouple to the flux capacitor,,

Actually, that is one of the thermocouples that performs the same function as the one for the B52 engine,,
    except it is a "little" more modern. It goes in the GE CF6-80 engine.
    There are still two thermocouples, except they are completely encased.
    One thermocouple is at the end, inside the 1/8" diameter tube,
    the other is positioned at the location of the "hole" in the piece that is larger diameter, about 3/8" diameter.
    All building, and positioning, was done by X-ray,,, film X-ray, nothing digital.

We had to assemble, shoot X-rays, wait for the film to develop,,, etc.

The inner probe case is Inconel 718,, the outer probe is investment cast out of RENE 77,,

All the welding that can be seen is 100% hand TIG welding.

Boolit Mold
    Used the auto tune and it worked great, got a 300 slugs casted up. Was nice to not worry what the temp was. Thank you!

Boolit Bub
    Holy smokes, two days reading & now rereading it all to make it clear in my head.
    Thanks to all that posted this thread

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839 LastLast