1185. You may not vote on this poll
  • gloves

859 72.49%
  • no gloves

326 27.51%
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: gloves or no gloves.

Boolit Master

I started out using thick leather gloves, and that worked well. Then I got a pair of actual welders leather gloves, and they kept my hands much cooler than the original pair, but the dexterity went down significantly. Now I use a pair of gloves that are sold for use in the kitchen, called 'The Ove Glove' and I find that they keep my hands cool, and I can still move all my fingers, they're comfortable to wear for extended periods too. My pair are older ones, and don't have anything to aid gripping, the ones they make now have silicone dots on the palm and fingers to aid in gripping stuff. When the pair I have now wears out, I will replace them with the newer style ones, as I really like them. Of course they wouldn't be too good if lead was spilled directly on them, as they're a loosely woven kevlar, and lead could probably get thru the pores, but for keeping my hands cool, they work great!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Buddy
    I use TIG gloves, they are thin enough that they don't prevent manipulation but they are pig skin and Kevlar lined so that they protect you from molten led.

I'd have 3rd degree burns on my hands in less than 5 minutes if I didn't use gloves. I have a tendency to pick things up before they cool completely.

Quote Originally Posted by ***ooptimax200 View Post
    I'd have 3rd degree burns on my hands in less than 5 minutes if I didn't use gloves. I have a tendency to pick things up before they cool completely.
    Ha ha. Me too. Unless I see cherry glowing red, I think it's room temp. I wear race car gloves up to my elbows to save me from myself.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Master
    I wear gloves. Have since day two of casting. Learned a hard lesson on day one, namely that something you pour molten lead into repeatedly tends to get rather warm...

Plus the fact that when picking up my nice shiny boolits, well, the ones cast an hour ago look just like the ones cast a minute ago...

So I wear my gloves now. I've always worn the face shield.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ***ooptimax200 View Post
    I kid you not. I was at the welding bench in High School Metal Shop, my weld had turned from cherry to gray, my instructor walked over, said nice weld and picked it up. Bet he remembers as well as I do.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

In Remebrance

Huh. Here I was thinking I was well below average intelligence because it took me a couple lessons to learn not to ASSUME. Guess I'm not so alone after all.

Back when I rode motorcycles there was always a debate over basic safety gear such as a helmet, gloves, chaps, boots and so on. There were always old timers who told me they didn't need all that ****, I've never dropped my bike.

The rule I learned was there are bikers who have already dropped their bikes, and those who haven't YET. Ride long enough and you WILL drop your bike.

I would imagine its the same with handling molten metal. I have yet to cast my first bullet but the very first gear I started gathering was all the PPE. I already have a full face shield, welding gloves, an apron and a respirator. I've lived this long without killing myself through my own stupidity, why tempt fate now?

Boolit Master

Palmettosunshine,

PPE is a Great First Move, it shows you're thinking.
    Thinking of your Safety, and the Safety and FEELINGS of your Loved Ones.
    Leather and Cotton materials = Good Stuff.
    Synthetic, as in Polyester = NOT A GOOD MATERIAL FOR CASTING.

Have a GREAT DAY.

MOONMAN

In Remebrance

I have no issue with people using all the safety gear they want. It's when they come here and imply or outright say that anyone that doesn't is a freakin' retard that bothers me.

Agreed. The people here are big boys and can deal with their own lives.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Boolit Mold
    I use gloves, glasses, long sleeve shirt and an denim shop apron, with out pockets. I have had splashes show up everywhere. Better safe and able to shoot another day.

Boolit Master

I wear welders gloves and i cant see with out my glasses so yup i wear them I just have a thing about not hammer whoopn my molds dies etc.

Boolit Master

Recently converted to gloves. It is easier on the mold and on me.

Boolit Master

In my opinion the first time you don't put safety first,and overconfidence takes president, then disaster will eventually rear it's ugly head,and you will be it's "pawn for pain"! GT27
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Banned
    I use gloves when I use the older Lyman single cavity mold Handles. They get hot!! I use a hickory hammer handle to move the sprue plate. I'm not grabbing hold of a hot mold block! Glove or no glove!

Boolit Master
    I wear a pair of welding gloves when casting, and while smelting. It's convenient for me whenever I have to grab anything hot. Like picking up a warm ingot off the hot plate, grabbing a hot cast iron pot handle, or in just case of an oops.

I have a bad tendency to pick up still hot boolits thinking hmm they cant still be all that warm can they....

I also need the gloves to open the sprue plate by hand. If I didn't wear gloves I would have to tap the mold open with something. That's harder on the molds, and my casting rhythm. It would throw my cadence off quite a bit.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

I cast for very many years with no gloves and never had a problem other than a few tiny splatters. I always hit the sprue plate with a hammer handle and life was good. It finally dawned on me that the possibility of damaging my molds by opening the sprue plate that way was very high. I came to this conclusion when my $15 molds were now $100 + molds. I tried cotton gloves & leather gloves but was not satisfied. I finally tried a pair of Oakley's racing gloves and there is nothing else like them that I know of. I can now open all my sprue plates with my hand, put the sprues where I want them, & pick up hot bullets. The only downside is that they are very expensive. They'll cost you as much as a custom bullet mold but they can't be beat.

Bob

There is a picture of the racing gloves in post 16.
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    I cast for very many years with no gloves and never had a problem other than a few tiny splatters. I always hit the sprue plate with a hammer handle and life was good. It finally dawned on me that the possibility of damaging my molds by opening the sprue plate that way was very high. I came to this conclusion when my $15 molds were now $100 + molds. I tried cotton gloves & leather gloves but was not satisfied. I finally tried a pair of Oakley's racing gloves and there is nothing else like them that I know of. I can now open all my sprue plates with my hand, put the sprues where I want them, & pick up hot bullets. The only downside is that they are very expensive. They'll cost you as much as a custom bullet mold but they can't be beat.

Bob

There is a picture of the racing gloves in post 16.
    Funny. I worked at Oakley, that's what I use too.

Deffinetly gloves, and eye protection at a minimum. It only takes a second for a lifetime of regret when it comes to molten metal.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast