1185. You may not vote on this poll
  • gloves

859 72.49%
  • no gloves

326 27.51%
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: gloves or no gloves.

Boolit Buddy
    After being a welder for over 30 years, gloves and glasses are a no-brainer.
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    At first I did not wear glasses, but upon reflection I figured it was a real bad gamble; and I have worn gloves since I started. Never had a blow up (knock wood). I also use the gloves to open the sprue and check the boolits now and then before I drop them in the box.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

I wear Pilot's Gloves (Nomex I think they are called??) They are thin and fire-proof. If a small amount of lead hits them they will protect to some degree. But they allow for "feeling" of the mold handles and don't inhibit movement. I also wear my leather apron (same when smelting alloys) to keep splash off my clothing. I'm not real big on burns that take weeks to heal.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    At first I did not wear glasses, but upon reflection I figured it was a real bad gamble; and I have worn gloves since I started. Never had a blow up (knock wood). I also use the gloves to open the sprue and check the boolits now and then before I drop them in the box.
    Anyone that doesn't wear glasses of some type has never had the tinsel fairy smack them in the forehead
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - WEAR YER GLASSES! !!!

Boolit Buddy
    One time casting with my son on a warm summer day under a shade tree a large green grass hopper fell in to the pot it emptied the pot of lead so fast . there must have been 20 pounds of lead we never seen it coming safety gear is a must and glad we had it .

Boolit Master
    at very least thick leather gloves when casting bullets. but when making ingots and ladle casting laws wear welding gloves and full face flip up shield used for oxygen-acetylene with clear shield. god only gave me 2 hands 10 fingers and 2 eyes, I better protect them the best I can

Much of my working life I was around LARGE and dangerous machine tools. Secret to avoiding injury was to never stop being afraid of them.

Ditto casting. Welders' gloves so I can swing the sprue plate with my hand, for speed. Safety glasses, hat, long COTTON sleeves. Dungarees, worn outside leather half-boots. I also keep a 5 gal bucket of water within reach to cool down any burn ASAP, (which minimizes the tissue damage). Have never had a visit from the tinsel fairy, but that doesn't mean that she won't visit the next time I heat up the pot.

NB: I had 3 nasty spills when I was road-racing - each time the helmet probably saved my life. Two more incidents on the street over 50+ years and half a million miles. I got so habituated to a helmet that more than once I exited the shop, locked the door, and pulled on my helmet to walk to the house. Even today I won't ride the 80 yards from the barn to the house bare-headed. The final item on MY bucket list is to be shot by a jealous husband when I'm 93 years old.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Gloves and glasses for 60yrs.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I usually don’t use gloves when casting boolits from my electrical pot, but at least one when casting ingots.

Boolit Master
    Never thought of gloves for casting. Never got anything but tiny dots of splatter on my hands after nearly 50 years of casting. Besides gloves mess up the feel and make it harder to do detail work. I ALWAYS use either goggles or face shield for my eyes though. That same tiny dot of lead that merely stings on the back of your hand is another matter in the eye. Also always wear long heavy pants and closed shoes, most of the time high leather work boots.

Definitely gloves during casting.

No gloves during reloading because I powder coat all my bucks and slugs.

I do, however, wear gloves while powder coating.

Boolit Master
    only half of my left hand is functional ever since slipping and falling and getting it just about cut in half because I failed to put gloves on that day. had to have reconstructive surgery to have tendons and nerves reconnected. well the doctor got alll but 1 tendon reconnected and the nerves are pretty much gone forever, feels like electric shock when my pinky finger, ring finger and left side of middle finger touch anything.
    I now always wear gloves doing all kinds of work and would never go near molten metal without wearing leather gloves. this year it was time to get some new gloves I looked back over past couple months shopping at different places trying to find good comfort and functional leather gloves, got about 1/2 dozen pairs costing between $12.99 and $25 and look at it as necessary protection and a wise investment

Glasses yes, gloves no. And I never cast boolits naked.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    only half of my left hand is functional ever since slipping and falling and getting it just about cut in half because I failed to put gloves on that day. had to have reconstructive surgery to have tendons and nerves reconnected. well the doctor got alll but 1 tendon reconnected and the nerves are pretty much gone forever, feels like electric shock when my pinky finger, ring finger and left side of middle finger touch anything.
    I now always wear gloves doing all kinds of work and would never go near molten metal without wearing leather gloves. this year it was time to get some new gloves I looked back over past couple months shopping at different places trying to find good comfort and functional leather gloves, got about 1/2 dozen pairs costing between $12.99 and $25 and look at it as necessary protection and a wise investment
    I'm sorry to hear about your hand!

If you want some good quality gloves check out Kunz. They make leather gloves for Linemen. Not cheap but high quality.

I don't wear gloves when casting but I do wear glasses and long pants. I do wear clothing made from natural fibers and not synthetic. I wear gloves and glasses when smelting scrap.

Boolit Master
    I wear gauntlets to protect forearms as well as hands.

Glove on my left holding the mold. No glove on the right hand, holding the hammer handle to tap the spruce plate and mold hinge. Long sleeves, pants, and good boots. Heavy gloves seem clumsy to handle other necessary casting items? hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    Gloves during smelting but not while casting. Through all the years of wrench turning I could just never get the right tactile feel.

Boolit Buddy

Between hot lead splashes, hot sprues, and hot sprue plates: gloves are my friend! Good clear safety glasses have saved my eyes. Hot lead splashes on my pants and shirt remind me that lead could have hit my face and eyes! My wife was complaining that there was metal rattling around in her clothes dryer. When I looked it was a piece of hot lead that had attached itself to my old sweatshirt that had detached itself while in the dryer.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I didn't used to and have the scars to prove it!

I wear one on my right hand mainly to turn the sprue cutter, and strike off the sprue. The sprue drops off right in my gloved palm and I drop it into the pot as I reach for my rawhide mallet to open the mould. It makes it so much easier.
    ^
    This
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast