WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: First hand Review of the Hornady L-N-L AP vs Dillon 550B

Boolit Master
    I'm think'in that handle will allow the operator to be seated more in front of the LNL and not so much to the side.

Is that correct?

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    I'm think'in that handle will allow the operator to be seated more in front of the LNL and not so much to the side.

Is that correct?

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Correct. I always stood in front of my press before because of the angle of the arm as well as the height of the press. Now with the press 6" higher and the angled arm, I can sit on a stool very comfortably in front of the press.

I have owned all three the LNL AP – 550B – Xl650. While they will all make more ammo then an average person could need. The lnl took the most time to fiddle with stuff during a loading session. I never made 200 rounds without having some little issue. The 550 is a lot more reliable. You do have to keep the priming system clean. By the time I hit a thousand rounds I would take the priming system apart and clean it. Then I was good for another thousand. The 650 is the most solid of the three and just cranks out rounds like nobodies business. Its easy to get two to three time the output with the 650 as the other two presses. The real issue is the price difference. If you can afford the 650 then it’s the best choice. If not get the 550. The LNL would be my last choice. It is fine as long as your not in a hurry and you don’t mind fiddling with the press as needed.

Hornady Lock N Load AP
    The Lock-N-Load AP is an auto-indexing, 5-station progressive press that features the Lock-N-Load bushing system, which allows calibers to be changed very quickly. The Lock-N-Load is the cheapest press to equip with additional caliber conversions. During Automatic Indexing Each station moves 1/2 a stage on the upstroke and 1/2 a stage on the down stroke and the up stroke, making for a smoother function. This means less chance of flinging powder out of cases. The Lock-N-Load AP can be used with or without a case feeder. This allows you to start at a Dillon 550B price but to upgrade to a Dillon XL650 speed press at a later date. The earlier editions of this press were known to have issues and were more in line with Lee quality presses. With the new generation of presses Hornady is trying to go head to head with Dillon including matching their warranty.
    One Hour Production Rate 500 with case feeder 800.
    Cost $ $381.99 bullet feeder 279.99. 12 2010

The Dillon RL550B
    RL550B is manual-indexing four station progressive press. The Dillon RL550B is the workhorse Dillon press line. It can load almost any center fire rifle or pistol cartridge. It has 120 caliber conversions available for it. In the Dillon line the Dillon RL550B is the most economical add calibers to. It has less expensive caliber conversions than other Dillon presses. If you were buying just one Dillon press and wanted the most bang for the buck, it would be a Dillon RL550B. According to Dillon more RL550s have been sold than any other progressive machine in the world.
    One Hour Production Rate 400 - 500
    Cost $376.00 12 2010

The Dillon XL650
    The XL 650 is auto-indexing five station progressive press. The XL 650 was built from the ground up to be an auto-indexing press with a case feeder. The Dillon XL650 comes standard with a tube system for an automatic case feeder. The automatic case feeder is sold separately So the advertised starting price doesn’t accurately reflect the true price of a Dillon XL650. A fully set up Dillon XL650 cost twice what a Dillon RL550B cost but produces twice as much ammo an hour. The caliber conversions for the Dillon XL650 are noticeably more expensive than the RL550B and the LNL. For large volume reloading, versatility and ease of use a Dillon XL650 is hard to beat.
    One Hour Production Rate 800 – 1150
    I owned the 550 and decided it was time to upgrade to a higher production machine. After looking at the 650 and LNL on paper I decided to go with the LNL with case feeder. I bought the LNL with the intention of getting it set up and running good and then selling the 550. Instead the LNL went back. Then I bought the 650. It didn’t take any time to realize the 650 was the best of the batch and I sold the 550.
    I bought the LNL thinking I would save some money over the 650 and in the end I ended up spending more in the long run.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by m-bear View Post
    I have owned all three the LNL AP – 550B – Xl650.
    Thanks for posting.

I have heard this exact same posting before from other people. Had 550, bought a LNL, had issues and/or it didn't live up to their standards, sold it and bought a 650. When I see different people going through the same situation, it starts to tell me that maybe I should listen and learn something.

Another scenario I see is most get the LNL with the thought that the case feeder MAY be an option in the future. It appears to be a great choice because it is usable without a case feeder and then upgradeable.

I thought the same exact thing when looking at them. In the end though, the 650 is the better machine with a case feeder, why not just use what you got for longer, save up and get it.

Once you compare costs with everything being similar, case feeder, primer alarm, PDX dies etc.... the LNL really isn't any cheaper than the 650.
    Last edited by High Altitude; 05-08-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    Once you compare costs with everything being similar, case feeder, primer alarm, PDX dies etc.... the LNL really isn't any cheaper than the 650.
    That is true only if you buy the case feeder for both.

Comparison with shipping included:

L-N-L with shell plate & dies = $490
    L-N-L with case feeder, shell plate & dies = $810

Dillon 650 with dies = $644
    Dillon 650 with case feeder & dies = $862

Dillon 1050 with case feeder & dies = $1665

A basic setup is $150 cheaper on the L-N-L. The Hornady case feeder is $100 more than the Dillon; which is disappointing. This brings the two within $50 of each other. But when you start adding more calibers, the Dillon will be more expensive.

I have a L-N-L and am happy with it. The only issues I have when reloading are:
    • The case feeder sometimes does not get a case into the shell plate. This happens about approx 1 in 50 loads and only takes a couple seconds to reach in and put the case in.
    • The shell plate has a little wobble in it. This results in a difference in 0.01 OAL when you are setting up with only one case as compared to having all stations working.
    • The twist lock for the powder feeder works itself loose and I have to lock it back down about every 30 rounds or so. Again, this only takes about 5 seconds of stoppage but it is stoppage. This is fixable but I haven't done the fix yet.

Someday I'm sure I'll get a Dillon as well. I just don't know whether it will be a 650 or 1050. I don't really need the volume capability of the 1050 but I do really like the additional stations to spread out operations and add more checks into the process of loading.

Boolit Man
    OP: Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Cranium: Thanks for the info on the roller handles!

Everyone else: To quote an acquaintance on another forum, "Red, blue, green it doesn't matter. If it works for you and you are happy with it then more power to you."

The Dillon 550B is da bomb for most cartridges. It's sadly lacking when it comes to short bottleneck rounds.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranium View Post
    Someday I'm sure I'll get a Dillon as well. I just don't know whether it will be a 650 or 1050. I don't really need the volume capability of the 1050 but I do really like the additional stations to spread out operations and add more checks into the process of loading.

1050 doesn't have that many extra stations. They spoken for due to the design of the press and how it performs it's functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado4wheel View Post
    1050 doesn't have that many extra stations. They spoken for due to the design of the press and how it performs it's functions.
    hmmm....how so? On my hornady, I use 5 and could easily use 7. I figured the 1050 could handle that.

Current setup (will have to change it once my bullet feeder comes in):
    1. Size/deprime
    2. Powder/expand
    3. Powder check
    4. seat
    5. crimp

Ideal setup:
    1. Size/deprime
    2. Powder
    3. Powder check
    4. Expand
    5. bullet feeder
    6. seat
    7. crimp

It would also be nice to have more stations for more checks on
    • Empty Case
    • Primer Removed
    • Primer Inserted
    • Bullet in case

But this would be getting more into what a commercial production machine does. I think it would be cool to go out to the garage, fill the bullet hopper, fill the case hopper, fill the primer hopper, dial in how many rounds you want and push start.

Why would you want to place the powder drop before the expander?
    I'm curious, since I once every 300 cases or so get a nasty mark on my .44 Mag cases in the Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop. Maybe putting the expander after the powder drop would fix that...

Quote Originally Posted by bbqncigars View Post
    My 550B was fine until I started shooting a LOT of 25-20WCF. It had problems with the small bottleneck cases (.30Mauser pistol too) and the relatively fragile necks of the rifle brass. The LNL has had no such issues. Moral of story: don't try to load odd stuff on the Dillon, and you'll be fine. My really REALLY precious stuff gets loaded on the Co-Ax.
    I can't speak about the .25-20 but I do load .30 Mauser on my 550. My only problem was caused by the low quality of Lee dies that I bought to "save" money. Once I got rid of them and installed a set of RCBS or Reddings (don't remember which at the moment) the little bottle neck cases moved through without a hitch at the same rate that I can reload 9mm or any other tiny case.

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Why would you want to place the powder drop before the expander?
    I'm curious, since I once every 300 cases or so get a nasty mark on my .44 Mag cases in the Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop. Maybe putting the expander after the powder drop would fix that...
    No reason in particular. Just have to add that flare before putting the bullet in.

Do you use the powder drop expander? I currently do and if the indexing was off but just a little, it would damage the case.

Boolit Mold
    OK I got the primer issue figured out for the Most part on the LNL. It still is not as relable as my 550B though. It seems it has to be kept cleaner. Not bashing the LNL but now I am having indexing issues. I want this thing to work but its just one thing after another so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan12 View Post
    OK I got the primer issue figured out for the Most part on the LNL. It still is not as relable as my 550B though. It seems it has to be kept cleaner. Not bashing the LNL but now I am having indexing issues. I want this thing to work but its just one thing after another so far.
    I've had indexing issues before as well. But taking about 5-10 minutes to focus on them to clear them up will save you a lot of grief. Once I did this, I haven't had one indexing issue for about the past 1000 rounds now.

Boolit Master

Also why would you place the boolit on the brass in one station and then index it to another station to seat it? Seems to me if you are using the minimum amount of flare needed for your brass that the boolit will not be sitting in a proper orientation by the time it is indexed to another station. Over complication, set the boolit and seat it in one station.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    On indexing on the LNL, as per the Hornady folk, make very small adjustments to the pawls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being a, "If a little is good a lot is better", type person - always did have problems with 1/4" bolts! - I origionally did the half or one turn type of adjustment.

NOT!!!!!!!! in this cast, "a little goes a long ways"! And that is all it takes.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy
    I was under the impression that one station on a 1050 was a dedicated primer pocket swager? MBW? If so that leaves you with six stations. Also I agree with others that with a dillon powder measure and their powder funnels there is no reason to expAnd and drop powder in two separate stations. It's easy enough to turn powder funnels for custom profiles for cast boolits like Lyman M dies but I have to admit that I have been lazy and use their standard funnels for my .45 colt/.357/.380acp cast boolits with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by firebrick43 View Post
    Also I agree with others that with a dillon powder measure and their powder funnels there is no reason to expAnd and drop powder in two separate stations. .
    I would drop powder and expand in different stations if I had the available stations to do it. Just as I do today with seating and crimping in different stations. Keeping each station doing one sole function allows for easier adjustments and identification of issues. But this is just my general opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    Also why would you place the boolit on the brass in one station and then index it to another station to seat it? Seems to me if you are using the minimum amount of flare needed for your brass that the boolit will not be sitting in a proper orientation by the time it is indexed to another station. Over complication, set the boolit and seat it in one station.
    Bullet feeder requires a station.

Boolit Master

Sure the feeder requires a station but is it not the same station you seat in? Maybe the feeder you are talking about is different from the kind I have seen. Even the GSI feeds into the same station that seats.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    Sure the feeder requires a station but is it not the same station you seat in? Maybe the feeder you are talking about is different from the kind I have seen. Even the GSI feeds into the same station that seats.
    Don't know about the GSI but the Mr. Bullet, RCBS and Hornady require their own station.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast