Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling Ingots

Cooling Ingots

Since I am totally new to casting and have done nothing but collect lead up until this point, I have been constantly thinking of potential roadblocks that I may run into and how I will avoid them. My latest questions are:

How long do I need to let 1# ingots cool (in a Lee mold) before popping them out of the mold? Also, how many molds will I need to maintain a decent pace while smelting wheelweights? Will 2 ingot molds be sufficient to keep a decent pace going?

Thanks for any help

Boolit Master

wt, welcome aboard. Cooling time on the 1# ingots should only be minutes. You'll see when it solidifies, then give it another minute or so. If you drop just after they solidify they'll usually break. The number of ingot molds will depend on your smelting pot size and your pouring ladle. Add your ingot mold capacity versus your pot capacity. If you have about 2/3 ingot capacity to pot capacity you should be fine. That would be for maximum output...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    I would try to get as meany ingot molds as what your smelter will fill without stopping. If your pot holds 25lbs of lead, try to get enough molds that will hold all 25lbs of lead.
    So you wouldn't have to wait for your filled molds to cool an then be refilled.
    Just my 2cents Kevin

Boolit Master
    I follow Kevin's plan. I've got enough muffin tins from the thrift store and flea market to do 150lbs though I've rarely ingotize that much in one pot. Never paid more then a buck for each. The nasty and rusty are best for ingot release. Good Luck

Boolit Master

just let air cool dont try water hose if you get water and molten lead together you have a HOT bomb

In Remebrance

My suggestion would be to stop over thinking the road blocks and just do it. All you're doing is melting lead alloys, trust me, it's not rocket science. Warm the ingot moulds a little and go to it.

I pour into the molds and let it sit while I wait for another pot to melt. Once the WW's in the pot start to go molten, I drop the ingots out of the molds. Maybe 10-15 minutes time. This ensures the ingots are solid. If I'm not waiting on another pot, I just wait 10 minutes and then tap my pliers handle on the center of each ingot to make sure they are solidified.
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the site.

I think this is a fine question, but I'm sure you'd figure it out yourself
    after your fiirst smelting session.
    I use 2 molds.
    I pour one mold, as soon as it solidifies, I move it to another table
    and set it on a wet towel. It will steam...alot, when the steam quits,
    I dump out the ingots, the amount of time that takes is about the same
    as it takes to pour the other mold and for them to just barely solidify.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

When smelting my PB with a propane turkey frier and a cast iron pot that halds about 100 + pounds of alloy , i have 5 ingot moulds that make 4 -1 lb ingots each ,I fill all 5 and then add more alloy . I dont run into any problems untill im empeting the pot when im done then i use a fan and or water in a spray bottle after they have solidfied some to cool the ingot moulds faster .

Boolit Master

max - More ingot molds is better (4 or 5 is good) BUT NOT NECESSARY). Just faster and more convenient, that's all. If you're filling 4, by the time you fill the last one, the first is about cool enough to dump. I keep my ingot molds on wet towels also. I think that helps them cool off. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I use a 5 gal. bucket full of water to cool my ingots...
    No waiting..
    Pretty simple set up ...

As the ingot mold heats up, it takes longer to get them solid. I use a wet towel to cool the mold off between pours, gets them solid in a minute or two. I smelt in small 100# batches though, pouring 2#-3# ingots.

Boolit Master
    I have a 65 pound plumbers pot and five four cavity one pound ingot molds I use for lino/tin mixes and use a heating duct in line fan to cool the molds quickly. I also have three eleven cavity cast iron muffin pans that make 2.2 pound ingots. These I use when making large batches of boolit alloy. They will be cool enough to dump when the pot is full again.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master
    I have a piece of steel plate that I put the mold on when full.It helps take away some of the heat.

Boolit Grand Master

For me and my pace, 5 molds lets me fill continuously from an 8 quart Dutch oven. By the time the last is filled, the first is ready to dump.

Welcome to the site,
    Like others here, When I do my big smelts I use multiple ingot molds. I have 4 of the Lee molds and 4 homemade ingot molds. Each homemade ingot molds hold 4 three pound ingots. Between all 8 molds one fill of all 8 molds comes out to 60 pounds.
    I keep a big pan (12"X 18") with a damp towel, no standing water, nearby. I pour all 8 molds by the time I pour the last one the first ones have solidified on top. I then put the molds, in the order poured, onto the damp towel. Once they are all on the towel, I take them out in the order they were put. Once they are all off the towel they are ready to dump.
    Sounds more complicated then it really is and it takes very little time.
    Good luck, jmsj

Boolit Grand Master

***ooptimax200, welcome to Castboolits.

I gotta go with Bret (post 6), no need to over think making ingots. Keep your melting pot at no more than 700 degrees, flux and scrape off the junk and pre-warm the ingot molds. Once the ingots are solid dump'em out and start over.

Over time you will develop the system that works best for you, that includes the number of and type of ingot molds. Probably everyone here has their own and slightly different method that works well for them, just as it should be. No need for a degree in metallurgy to make ingots.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I started with two Lyman 4 ea. one pounders. Worked just fine, nice pace for me. I have 1" thick alum plate to flop on. Fan behind me and acroos dumped ingots. Beware - twenty minutes later sometimes they will still take the fingerorints off. I wear welding gloves cause sometimes my stupid valve opens. The past couple hundred I have switched to a new method, 12 oz. pop cans. Can opener the top off, make REAL sure nothing wet inside (TINSEL FAIRY VISIT). After they cool for a very long time. Pliers and roll off skin. Made 2"x4" racks laying them on there sides. One stick on, One wheel weight in my bottom pour and away I go. You will cut your own path thats best for you and your circumstances. Just be safe! Eyes/Gloves/Sleeves/Shoes. Gtek

Boolit Buddy
    Trial and error...great for learning. The great thing about smelting lead and casting boolits, when you screw em up, just drop it back in the pot. You will soon learn what the timing is for what you are doing whether it be making ingots, boolits or lubing boolits.

About the only mistakes that we can make that are intolerable are safety mistakes. Those that cause the Tinsel Fairy to come knocking on our door, failure to wear the proper safety gear or cause a gun to blow up.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44fanatic View Post
    About the only mistakes that we can make that are intolerable are safety mistakes. Those that cause the Tinsel Fairy to come knocking on our door, failure to wear the proper safety gear or cause a gun to blow up.
    Very wise and well said statement and one that I'm sure we don't hear often enough.

Pay attention, stay safe.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member