Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round Ball Ballistics Program

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Interesting! Thanks for posting this Ric.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Many thanks for the posting. I don't often go there. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    link is dead.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Just worked for me.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    bah, must be chrome then.

Boolit Master

Very interesting Ric, thanks. It worked for me.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Imput !!! I enjoy these items.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

I have tried several ways into the site. The last I have seen is a cache of the page from 27 June 2011. It shows the ballistics.zip file but I can't access it.

If anyone has it, could you PM me and we could arrange to email it to me.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

I just clicked on it, it went right to the page. You need to read down through it, to find the download link.

A nice utility. I use a more complete program from huntingnut.com called Point Blank. You can get it here its free also: http://www.huntingnut.com/pointblank.html
    :“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Boolit Master

and I see where it has finally been proven that an electrical spark can ignite black powder (but it ain't easy)

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...eignition.html

Boolit Mold
    I don"t see the spark setting off the blackpowder. I see the spark heating the metal cup that the powder is sitting in to a point were it sets of the powder.

Boolit Man
    all i get it opens a yahoo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crossxsticks View Post
    all i get it opens a yahoo
    I also got tired of piddling with it so I did this:
    Used the following RB ballistic coefficients then ran them through the "simplified JBM calculator" But really it's just an exercise or reality check because of the nature of the ballistics of a sphere.

32 cal- .043
    36 cal- .049
    45 cal- .062
    50 cal- .069
    54 cal- .075
    58 cal- .080
    http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin...j_simp-5.1.cgi
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master
    The question was never that electrical spark could not set it off.It was static spark.It is all about
    heat.Static spark from ones body just does not have enough amps to make heat to set it off.

The same thing with the stun gun test.If a stun gun burned you they wound not be used by law enforcement.
    Volts & amp's are two different things.
    Fly

Boolit Master

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the link

Now it needs just one more column, showing where the projectile sits on the Taylor Scale. LoL

A very nice and useful program. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    The download worked for me, but wouldn't unzip the file, because my copy of win.rar to unzip it with had exceeded the deadline for having t pay for it. I downloaded Zipgenius, which is free with no apparent snags, and got the program installed and working.

http://www.zipgenius.com/zipgenius-download-center/

I was only able, possibly due to ignorance, to unzip and install it in the downloads file, but unlike many it works when you simply copy the installed folder into the programs folder.

It is an extremely interesting program. While the amazing long-range exploits of Kentucky rifles in the American Revolution certainly happened, it does show up pretty clearly that they depended either on very exceptional judgment of trajectory and distance, or someone running out of luck.

Boolit Master
    i got on. a great site, thanks for posting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast