MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7mm soupcan & 7mm TCU loads???

Banned

357maximum, do the neighbors call and tell you how many times you missed?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    So far I am very very impressed with my stock 10inch TC Contender barrel in 7TCU so much so that I bought a 21incher off a feller on another shooting forum, cannot wait to play with that when it gets here.

My 10inch 7soupcan successful loads so far:

7mmSoupcan WD'ed 50ww/50pure alloy:

26.0 Gr H322 (1 to 1.2 inches@100) 1955 FPS

9 gr Herco (1to 1.5 inches @ 100) (My fireform load...not a low pressure load) 1505 FPS

22 to 24 grain Alliant reloader 10x (1.25 inch groups at 100 and it is a "stout" feeling load) Have not chronied yet

All my soupcan loads are sized .2855 and seated to engage/fill the throat as my soupcan mould will not allow me to go up into the rifling without pulling the boolit upon reopening the gun. O.A.L=2.207

I have also been playing with a blocked off and shortened Lyman 287377 spitzer mould that weighs 134 grains and it will shrink the above soupcan groups by about 1/4 inch. I call that boolit the BabyThor as it basically a trunacated cone tapered wadcutter. Proably the boolit that will go deer hunting this year.

I shot some 7MM soupcans at 200 yards today and they are staying stable and as accurate as my ability allows. They still smack my steel gongs hard enough for the neighbors across the section to count my misses. I carried about a 3 inch group on one particular round of 10 using 23grains of Rel10x and the wind was gusty and variable. The 2 times I missed shooting my steel gongs over 50 times today was my shortcoming holding the pistol in the bags ...not the pistol/calibers fault.

I LOVE THE 7TCU

357maximum

Can you describe more what this means ( any photos of your bullets or mold would help ), I'm interested is seeing this :

I have also been playing with a blocked off and shortened Lyman 287377 spitzer mould that weighs 134 grains

Banned
    DJ....actually the neighbor has gave me a bit of grief over hearing a boom with no GONG a few times. Where he is located he actually hears the GONG before the boom.

Ben....I have to go to a nieces Birthday party in a few minutes but when I get back I will take a few pics of the boolit and the mould for ya to drewl over. Basically a very talented toolmaker buddy of mine ran a mill right across the cavity and inserted a block to fill the hole...which effectively simply made the boolit shorter by getting rid of the pointed part of the cavity.

Boolit Grand Master
    Basically a very talented toolmaker buddy of mine ran a mill right across the cavity and inserted a block to fill the hole...which effectively simply made the boolit shorter by getting rid of the pointed part of the cavity.
    ________

WOW ! ! !

I got to see this ! !

Ben

Banned
    Here ya go Ben...You can see the original boolit and it's present much more killing worthy form.

Heres how they shoot at 100 yards over 23.5 grains of Alliant Reloader 10x with a remington 7.5 sparkplug. Shot three moved the dial and shot 5 more...nevermind that operator induced flyer eh.
    Shot another 40 at my 3inch 100yard swinger just as fast as I could and never missed it once. This boolit is going deer hunting this year.

Last edited by 357maximum; 05-13-2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: pics added

Boolit Master

Cool

That should put a hurting on bambi, nice work.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master
    Im sorry I havent checked this thread in a while. I have been loading the Lee 130 soup can in my 7 TCU but havent gotten to shoot it yet. I was wanting to use 2400 powder and I have test loads of 12, 13, 14 and 15 grains loaded. Bullets lubed with 45/45/10 and sparked by small pistol magnum CCI's. Alloy is 50/50 air cooled. I hope I didnt overthink this loading. Or underthink it, wichever it may be. I was just thinking with a 10 inch barrel a magnum pistol powder should work well, but I really dont know.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master
    357maximum :

That is just too neat ! !
    If I owned that mold , I guess I'd wear out my 7 mm barrels with it and have the time of my life doing it. Deer beware with that one ! !

Ben

Banned
    Ben
    You must be able to read brainwaves as that is exactly what I am doing. I ate up 1lb of Rel10X powder over the last 2 weeks. If I can wait til Nov15 I will shoot a buck with this boolit. If not I might just buy a tag for the early doe blasting season.

X101.. I played with 2400 for a few loads. They shot ok but there was substantially more muzzle blast than I would have thought and definately more than I wanted. I have had best luck with H322, Rel10X, and AA2015.

I am half expecting the 21 incher to be a different animal altogether....we shall see.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Took a 92yo D-Day vet to the range yesterday, at the end he popped one off from my 10" 7tcu and said that the recoil was pretty tolerable. I told him we shoot it to 200y in matches, and he thought tha 10" bbl. was too short till I started banging the groundhog swinger at 200 with it.

7TCU and 7BR, 2015BR is the nuts, jack!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned
    Hamish That sounds sweet.....old dawgs can learn new tricks especially when them tricks are as cool as the 7TCU.

I am being a good boy today and getting my brass refilled and some boolits lubed.

I just checked my tracking number....my 21 incher will be here tomorrow.
    Kinda looking forward to seeing the difference in "the wants" of the two barrels. I am assuming the chambers will vary so I have 200 pcs of brass just waiting to be sized to the 21 inchers chamber. Now I will have to find another frame so that I can keep the 21 incher on it's own platform.

Banned
    Well my 21 incher is here now.....and it is staying. I like the little black carbine although I can see a laminate or glass thumbhole in my future at $ome point. The 21 incher prefers the same basic loads as my 10incher but I will have to keep the brass from each seperate. I can visually sort brass from the two barrels from 6 feet away. My 10incher makes fireformed brass that looks like a baby Ackley Improved round and my 21 incher looks more like a miniature 35remington round. Boolit seating depth to fill the throat also differs substantially. They both shoot my modded 377 and the lee soupcan as long as I use MML. LLA fails with epic failure accuracy wise in both barrels. There was no leading though

Boolit Buddy
    G'Day
    I've got a 23" 7tcu built on a Sako 75. I found that 748 works well using 26grn under the soupcan gave me a 2" 200m group. Never tried any other loads as this one works. Work your way up to the load!!!
    Juddy

Boolit Master
    I'm going to throw this load in. 15.8 grains of SR 4759 is what I use, however, it's on a 135 grain Lyman. Anyone looking for another powder can tune it.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Banned
    I stepped up from .285 boolits to .287 boolits thanks to Buckshot's talent. I am well over the bore size but I am filling the "throat" alot better. Turning my barrel into a swageomatic took my groups down to 7/8 to 3/4 inch at 100. I even shot a few 5 shot groups yesterday that I could cover with the end of my index finger when I did my part exactly right. Them poor ol whitetails are never gonna see it coming. I am going to hunt farther north just so I can carry that saweet little carbine.

Boolit Mold
    this has been a really informative thread. 357 what lube are you using on your top end loads? I will be loading 7mm08 with N140.

thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by interlock View Post
    this has been a really informative thread. 357 what lube are you using on your top end loads? I will be loading 7mm08 with N140.

thanks
    The lube is called MML and it is homemade by me.

It is:

3LB BEESWAX
    1LB. CANNING PARAFFIN
    1- 14 OZ. TUBE OF MAG1 CHEAP BROWN LITHIUM GREASE
    1/2 LB MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX #430 FROM BLENDEDWAXES.COM

Not sure where you live but it is an excellent lube if you are above the MasonDixon line. If you live in Siberia you might wanna nix 1lb of Beeswax and if you live somewhere near the gates of hell ya might wanna get rid of the Microwax.

Boolit Mold
    I live in the temperate uk. The canning parfin, we are divided by a common language, is that just paraffin wax?

Banned
    yep...same stuff, just don't be gettin any on your chips....err fries.

Boolit Mold
    this is the quandry. I am deciding between felix and your lube. i am loading 7mm08. my plan is to load to top end velocities. I also plan on pan lubing my bullets. what do you think?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast