RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plain Base Gas Checks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    My understanding and same thing comes from manufacturer of Barry's copper plated bullets is that you should crimp just enough but not to perforate and compromise the coating. I believe same applies to powder coat, I crimped only to remove the flare, maybe light crimp at most. P.S. You might like these printed targets better http://www.mytargets.com/ I like to print them on thicker paper too, you get cleaner holes; 4 - 5 per sheet is optimal and one per page for sight in.
    Thanks. I like their selection. Right now I'm using the single pistol bulls because they fit my 1x red dot well. (Easy to center) and I'm shooting different bullets that have different points of impact. That target seems to catch them all without sight adjustments. I thought about putting a higher mag scope on it but shoots pretty well with 110 varmageddons with that 1x and blank sheets of paper at 100. Right around MOA. I'll be pleased with that when I get there with these.

Funny, I started this with the intent to shoot a lot more with cheaper ammo. Ha... I'm waay down the rabbit hole now..... hoping I can nail this down and load a bunch of ammo that is the same, sight in and have some fun. Had things pretty good until the p.c., 300 blk cast and pb checks came to mind. Now it's all testing. Can't wait to bump around in the woods with these loads.

I'm going to try the MP 311410 as a solid with 20:1 and see what that does. I'm pleased to see there is no skidding with 50/50. My 45 colt and 10mm are skidding and gas cutting but not leading. (?) The Colt groups 1.5 or less at 25. Pleased with that but I'm going to try the PB checks on those two and see what I get.

I'll try the no crimp situation too. I just figured I'd have to. Better find out.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Boolit Buddy
    Also going to try these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200518_222109.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	262370

Got this mold as a second from LBT. It's a 200 gr 38 Kieth swc. Had a small gouge in one of the lube grooves, and I never took a liking to it as I thought I would. It sat neglected for a few years. Well, plain base gas checks and powder coating resurrected this mold. My wild hair told me to machine out the lube groove, so I did and just left enough of it to clear rifling. Now they are matchy-matchy and ready to test. I made this checkmaker today and a bunch of.500 discs from a Monster drink can. The two checks I'm currently working with are made with standard 7/16ths and 1/2" punched discs so one less piece of equipment I have to make right now. Tonight I formed up a few and they are great so far. I can get them on easily, they are just tight enough that they don't fall off on the way to the press, and they crimp on pretty well. I have to try pretty hard for a bit to peel one off with a fingernail. They all went on nice and straight, too. Can't wait to shoot 'em!

Name:	20200518_222044.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	262371

Name:	20200518_222130.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	262372
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Quote Originally Posted by bld451 View Post
    Also going to try these.

Name:	20200518_222109.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	262370

Got this mold as a second from LBT. It's a 200 gr 38 Kieth swc. Had a small gouge in one of the lube grooves, and I never took a liking to it as I thought I would. It sat neglected for a few years. Well, plain base gas checks and powder coating resurrected this mold. My wild hair told me to machine out the lube groove, so I did and just left enough of it to clear rifling. Now they are matchy-matchy and ready to test. I made this checkmaker today and a bunch of.500 discs from a Monster drink can. The two checks I'm currently working with are made with standard 7/16ths and 1/2" punched discs so one less piece of equipment I have to make right now. Tonight I formed up a few and they are great so far. I can get them on easily, they are just tight enough that they don't fall off on the way to the press, and they crimp on pretty well. I have to try pretty hard for a bit to peel one off with a fingernail. They all went on nice and straight, too. Can't wait to shoot 'em!

Name:	20200518_222044.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	262371

Name:	20200518_222130.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	262372
    I'm wondering how this went, I know it was 2 years ago. I'm contemplating doing nearly the same for 9mm. I'm primarily interested in what kind of accuracy you got with them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123