Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to buy a .44 Magnum lever action....

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I agree with everything that robertbank stated.

I bought the Puma model 92 cause it was the least expensive of the bunch. Would have loved to have purchased one of the other models mentioned here. One with the option of mounting a small scope for load work up but, just couldn't afford it.

It came with a metal cresent shaped butt plate. Major OUCH- factor when shooting full power loads. I installed an aftermarket recoil pad to mitigate the pain.

After taking it apart and de-burring the inards and a little trigger work, it reliably shoots and cycles smooth as butter.

I just recently machined some temporary pistol-scope mounts for it in order to work up some 240 SWC loads for it.

I have a set of marble tang-mounted peep sights on it that I use while in the field. For my aging eyes, nothing beats a pistol scope for working up new loads.

I know it's already been stated; you really can't go wrong with whatever lever gun you decide on. I've had pretty good luck with mine; with respect to price, accuracy and reliability.

HollowPoint

Banned
    i love my Rossi .44 Mag with the 20'' barrel i was hitting a 10 inch gong at 250 yards with it just the other day

Boolit Buddy
    I had decided on an 1894 CB, but the 1 in 38" twist has me nervous. Some love it, some hate it.

Not wanting to risk it, I'm leaning towards the 1894 Cowboy Competition model. I'm in the process of talking to a gent that has an 1894 CBC in .45 Colt which is 1 in 16" twist. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for all of the posts. I'm totally new to the levergun arena.

Boolit Buddy
    Unless you are planning on shooting some real heavyweights, don't worry at all about the 1-38" twist. I've never had a single problem up to 300 grains out of a dozen or more .44 rifles. The .44 excells with weights from 200grs to 280grs and has no problem what so ever with 300-310grs. Right now I have 4 Marlin CB's with teh 1-38" twist and routinely run 300 to 320gr bullets with great accuracy and completely stabilized with no sign of yaw.

Last edited by 44 flattop; 04-26-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh you guys are gonna hate my guts, but founda nice, not perfect marlin .44 for 212.00 out the door at my local pawn shop, only thing is now I gotta load something else, and cast for another cal. Bummer that means more range and trigger time boohoo. Kevin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kjg View Post
    Oh you guys are gonna hate my guts, but founda nice, not perfect marlin .44 for 212.00 out the door at my local pawn shop, only thing is now I gotta load something else, and cast for another cal. Bummer that means more range and trigger time boohoo. Kevin

Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in awhile. Seriously, it sounds like you got a DEAL! A used MARLIN in 44 is a rare find around my area of late, and 357s new or used are non-existent.

Get the RANCH DOG TLC 432 265, lube it per the RD tutorial and size to .432 for your MARLIN and live happily ever after. The gas checked RD with LEE LIQUID ALOX/LARS' XLOX also removes residual lead from my pistol barrels.

PS If it was an octagon barrel Cowboy rifle, especially a 24 inch, you REALLY GOT A DEAL!!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have both of the main contenders, a Marlin 1894 and a Rossi in 44Mag (and an older Rossi in 357/38, which is the rifle I am shooting in my avitar).

The Marlin is great, bit fat in the wood, but most folk like that. If it didn't have such nice checkering, I would have trimmed it down some. Mine feeds 44Specials well. The sights are ok and you can fit a telescopic sight if you want.

The Rossi is also great, but the sights on my 44 are useless. Gold coloured front bead and rear buckhorn. The foresight disappears when you try and settle it into the groove and I can't seem to depress it enough to hit close targets. Most guys in cowboy action I have noticed have removed the elevator part of the sight *I did too and promptly lost it ). My older 357 has excellent sights. Cheap pressed sheet metal, but a post foresight and a square cut notch at the rear. Very definite sight picture and quickly acquired. The flat, slim profile would make it a better choice for a saddle gun than the Marlin. Mine also wouldn't feed 44 Specials 100%, but I haven't really worked on this yet).

The Marlin is a nice gun in a lot of ways, but it is twice the money, so it would want to be.

If you aren't going to be using it on a horse and you can afford it, the Marlin would be my choice, especially as it is American made (I am an Aussie, but I give business to our allies where I can).

Both guns will give you a lifetime of service.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

I have an older maybe 30+ year old Marlin in 44 mag. Bought it under $200 at Kmart..
    Mine shoots everything I've fed it, I did add a Williams FP with target knobs for steel chickens etc. I have a bunch of hard cast 205 gr flat point boolits cast 15 years ago little Unique and the rifle loves them.
    Last edited by Tom-ADC; 05-05-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Buddy

Will the current Marlins feed bullets like 429421? About 30 yrs ago I had one of their carbines, and 429421(when crimped in the crimp groove) was too long.

Boolit Bub
    I like my Rossi/Pumas. Both shoot really well and have eaten anything I have fed them in .44Mag.

Speaking of Rossi's I am flat out at the moment and don't have time to load for a big shoot interstate. I leave in a day or so. I rang the gunshop in the next town and will be picking up some Fed cheap Yankee Eagle ammo, so the Rossi will ride again with my wife's new Ruger SASS Vaqueros.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzerik View Post
    I like my Rossi/Pumas. Both shoot really well and have eaten anything I have fed them in .44Mag.
    Are those FO front sights? I installed a Skinner peep on my .357mag Rossi and am very pleased. I am using the front post sight that came with the gun and like it a lot. I am toying with the idea of adding a FO front as it may even be faster for sight acquisition.

Four Fingers of Death I am still looking for a decent slip on recoil pad for my .44mag Rossi. Found one for $32.US but the shipping up here came to $23. from the US. I hope to be able to source one from a Canadian supplier because with full loads the gun is a punisher.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Bub
    I have a Win Trapper with the silly cross bolt safety, it is extremely accurate. Just replace the factory rear sight with a Williams peep and you are good to go! I also put a scout rail on it with a red dot sight- good hog medicine!

I hope to be able to source one from a Canadian supplier because with full loads the gun is a punisher.

Try and get a limbsaver, I have bought several Remington 700SPS rifles (270, 308Tactical and 375H&H DG) recently and I already had a 7600Police in 308. They all have pads by Limbsaver, mateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Awesome, they really work. Get it fitted and buy a leather cowboy style lace over if you don't like the looks. I have had several slip ons and they were never much chop. It is not as so its a collectable rifle, so it is not a sin to operate on it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Are those FO front sights? I installed a Skinner peep on my .357mag Rossi and am very pleased. I am using the front post sight that came with the gun and like it a lot. I am toying with the idea of adding a FO front as it may even be faster for sight acquisition.

Bob
    They are Marble Arms 1/16" gold beads. The Short rifle has a Marble Arms folding rear and a tang sight. The carbine has a Marble Arms Bullseye rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I hope to be able to source one from a Canadian supplier because with full loads the gun is a punisher.

Try and get a limbsaver, I have bought several Remington 700SPS rifles (270, 308Tactical and 375H&H DG) recently and I already had a 7600Police in 308. They all have pads by Limbsaver, mateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Awesome, they really work. Get it fitted and buy a leather cowboy style lace over if you don't like the looks. I have had several slip ons and they were never much chop. It is not as so its a collectable rifle, so it is not a sin to operate on it.
    Good advice I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and just go for it.

Thanks

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post

I am going to have the recoil pad fitted. I asked about a slip on but none of theirs would fit. I plan on using the gun on deer this fall and I don't want to have a sore shoulder until Christmas.

Take Care

Bob

Banned
    Get a Henry Big Boy .44 Mag.

No recoil pad needed. I can go out and shoot 100-200 practice shots without any heavy recoil.

Has Never failed to function.

It shoots soft and accurate. Fast also!

Its the Best and Made in the USA

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-big-boy.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by WickedGoodOutdoors View Post
    Get a Henry Big Boy .44 Mag.

No recoil pad needed. I can go out and shoot 100-200 practice shots without any heavy recoil.

Has Never failed to function.

It shoots soft and accurate. Fast also!

Its the Best and Made in the USA

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-big-boy.cfm
    Try 22 gr of 4227 under a 250 gr boolit and come back and tell us how it handled the recoil. You might change your mind on the need for a recoil pad.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master

Part of the reason the Henry shoots a little softer than a 92 is that it weighs 2 lbs. more!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast