Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: S&W 460 Mag & Black powder....

Question S&W 460 Mag & Black powder....out of a 460XVR 8" barrel

It's probably an unusual question, but I was wondering if anyone used Black powder in loading for a 460 Mag in 8 in barrel?

I was looking at this and was wondering>>>>>http://shootersforum.com/showpost.ht...5&postcount=10
    Last edited by Scrapper; 05-23-2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Bold the link

Boolit Master
    No but a similar cartridge was loaded in the old days it was a 45-50 or 45-60. Ballistics would be nowhere near a 460 mag load but it would make lots of smoke and and be fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Actually there is a thread about shooting a 45BPM round and I looked it up on the internet as I never heard of it an it turns out to be a 460 S&W loaded with up to 60 gr of black powder and a large pistol primer in lieu a large rifle primer. Again ballistics with me much less than what the 460 does.

Thanks for your input NickSS.... The link I have at the bottom of my first post is about the 45BPM using a 460 Mag cartridge with 60 gr of BP, which is what sparked my curiosity. I do realize that the ballistics would be much less but it should work if all I have is BP for propellant.

Here's part of the info on that page:
    The .45 BPM uses the 460 S&W Magnum casing as its container. This allows up to 60 grains of FFFg Goex. A drop tube is required or else the powder will spill out of the casing.

Except for the world suffering from magnumitis this is an idea that well, seems like a black powder cartridge should have caught on for rifles using handgun molds.

Never tried the 460, but the 500 works passably well with black powder. The main drawback was the cases are so thick that even after heavily annealing them they still have a hard time sealing the chamber.

Boolit Master
    I would guess the performance of a 460 S&W Magnum charged wth black powder would be similar to a 1847 Walker Colt.
    As for cartridge case obturation, perhaps reaming the case walls thinner like a 44-40 would allow the cases to seal enough to prevent fouling blow by.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I do!
    I have a Taylors and Co conversion cylinder for my Walker and had it reamed to accept .460S&W.
    Load 3½ grains of fast pistol powder under 40 grains 4F BP with a 1/8" grease cookie topped with a hardcast Lee 452-255-RF. My Walker has a .462" rifled barrel so i need to cast rock hard to avoid leading.

It's a hoot to shoot and after 24 shots it takes but one damp patch to clean the barrel.

As a sidenote i sometimes load my Norwegian 1911 with 14 grains 4F under a 230grain hardball. It's way up there on the fun scale when the others drop their jaws and just stand there while i'm chugging along with my pistol belching out big pufs of holy smoke.
    It does make a mess but nothing hot water and soap won't clean!