WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where do you get dacron for reduced loads ?

where do you get dacron for reduced loads ?

where do you get your dacron for reduced powder loads ? i have never used it...I do believe in powder location sensitivity , but not sure if i believe in slow powder low charge explosions , my thought is the gun guys cant reproduce it ,so?... i think it is operator error ... i have made many low charges of slow powder and i cant understand the math behind it ... my 2 c worth .. not saying it isnt real but i would like proof , not heresay but created in a lab under controlled enviroonment ... ps i would like to try some dacron but havent any idea of brand or where to get it ...

I got mine at Wal-Marts
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Master

Don't use H-110 or you'll get an education.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Grand Master

Stuffed animals, old pillows, Wally World or a dry goods (fabric store). I've found that the 1/2" - 5/8" flat bunting used to sew comforters works great for me. I just buy a yard and cut it up with a scissors into 1/2" squares (smaller for 22 cals).
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

is it pillow stuffing or in sheet form or what ? what section is it in?

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Stuffed animals, old pillows, Wally World or a dry goods (fabric store). I've found that the 1/2" - 5/8" flat bunting used to sew comforters works great for me. I just buy a yard and cut it up with a scissors into 1/2" squares (smaller for 22 cals).
    thanks stubshaft ill look.... so this will not leave a molten plastic residue in my barrel ?

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    Don't use H-110 or you'll get an education.
    why is h-110 magical.? isnt slow powder slow ? it should burn slow, because it is treated to burn slow... i could understand, a fast powder detonation .. but it too , it should have a better tendency to blow up with a full powder charge .. they said the world was flatt ........ i will believe it when science can prove it . but i will be cautious , dont want to fall off the edge of the world, so to speak ... stubborn ... perhaps , but not foolish ... i dont mean to anger anyone as this is just my opinion use sound judgment and follow powder makers rules, not mine .. happy and safe shooting friends

Quote Originally Posted by badbobgerman View Post
    where do you get your dacron for reduced powder loads ? i have never used it...I do believe in powder location sensitivity , but not sure if i believe in slow powder low charge explosions , my thought is the gun guys cant reproduce it ,so?... i think it is operator error ... i have made many low charges of slow powder and i cant understand the math behind it ... my 2 c worth .. not saying it isnt real but i would like proof , not heresay but created in a lab under controlled enviroonment ... ps i would like to try some dacron but havent any idea of brand or where to get it ...

http://www.reloadammo.com/liteload.htm
    http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html
    http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/DevelopSubsonic.html

and there was a more scientific exploration done some years back in Handloader they were able to reproduce semi-regularly as I recall.

Boolit Grand Master

thanks stubshaft ill look.... so this will not leave a molten plastic residue in my barrel ?
    I think that the belief that people have of Dacron leaving a molten residue in the barrel should be filed under old wives tales. But in answer to your question, NO it will not leave any residue in the barrel.

I just personally preferred the flat sheets and cutting squares out. It gave me more peace of mind as to the consistency of the amount of dacron that I was using. When you start working with it you'll understand...

FWIW - The more common name of Dacron is "Hollowfill" which is also used in insulating clothes.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Badbob:
    Might take a while but if you get a lot of pills, vitamins, etc. you can save the "pill bottle cotton", I think it's dacron.
    Anyway that's what I have used.
    Never saw any residue in the barrel.

Artful:
    Thanks for the links, good info, I think I remember reading them before.

Just a few thoughts:

We used to load a .433 round ball in 44mag cases at around 200fps (extrapolated from loading chart).
    I could look up the powder used, don't remember. Was only a pinch, measured of course.
    Stuffed a tuft of "pill bottle cotton" in each case before seating.
    (A fun round, could watch the ball flying, would not penetrate a beer can but would
    flatten it and knock it 20ft.)

Use of "special" cases in 44mag and 357mag revolvers can leave a ring in the cylinder,
    most likely lube buildup but makes it a little harder to clean than if you use mag cases.
    Interchangeable ammo is good (just in case) but I quit doing that a long time ago.
    Call me lazy.

I agree with the theory that a small pile of powder spread out in the bottom of the case (when gun is horizontal)
    leaves more powder exposed to the primer flash and ignites all at once,
    or too much at once anyway.
    Fuel-air explosion / granary dust explosion analogy works for me.

Double-charge can be prevented (at least so far!) by only loading powder into
    the case that's going into the press when seating.
    I have never used a loading block to charge cases.
    Dump powder in case, look in case, put case in press, seat boolit.
    I guess progressive presses are immune to double-charges?

Boolit Master
    I'm still using kapok, for the little bit that I actually need a filler. I bought an old kapok-filled life preserver at a yard sale years ago and at the rate I'm going I'll never use it all. Unbelievable how much of that stuff is packed in there.

Boolit Buddy

Buy a puppy, leave it alone in the house for a few hours and you will have all the dacron you ever need
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Boolit Buddy
    Heres what you want, it just plain works, and, a 1# will last you forever. crash87
    http://www.dharma.net/monstore/produ...oducts_id=1028

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gar View Post
    Buy a puppy, leave it alone in the house for a few hours and you will have all the dacron you ever need
    amen to that brother
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    An alternative and what I use is Styrofoam packing popcorn.

Boolit Bub
    Local Wal-Mart in crafts or a fabric store

thanks friends ill look for it ...

Banned

Batchelor, eh?

Gear

Longwood
    thanks friends ill look for it ...
    I have been using the round Poly (Dacron, polyester, polyethylene, samo samo) gap filler sold at the builder supply stores in my 45 and 45-70 cases. It is where they sell window and door seal.
    I like it a lot so far because it is so simple to cut the same exact amount each time. I can make it as short as 1/4" very easily and it fits perfectly and stays put.
    I am also using the poly cotton balls I get in the makeup isle at the dollar store. OK but not as simple as using the round stuff plus I believe the round stuff is less likely to compress differently in the cases.
    PS
    I have learned this lately here on Cast Boolits.
    Thanks everyone that I got the hints from.

I did a job at a furniture and duvet manufacturer a while back - they had the stuff by the ton. I could have collected lifetime oversupply if I had wanted it. I suppose I could still get some but I don't need it. I use wheat bran now cause I like it better.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''