MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot 2007

Boolit Master
    Can someone post a detailed map to show the site relative to Winnemucca? I have not been back to that area since the late 60's, but I assume Winnemucca has not changed TOO much since then!

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    It looks like my wife and I will be able to make this shoot. I see the events and I will probably just bring my 30-30. Question is how many rounds is enough? I can see the "formal" events do not require that many rounds but what might be appropriate for the whole thing including plinking, etc?

We are planning a vacation to explore points north for retirement purposes. Going to continue up into Idaho, Montana and Wyoming after the shoot.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I usually bring 800-1000 rounds for six rifles and one pistol. If that seems a lot, that is for two shooters. Generally I haul half of it back home afterwards, except for the .44 Magnums. My 22 year old stepson believes that .44s go bad if he doesn't shoot them all up!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

In Remembrance

GLL, the new range site is about 16 miles W on Jungo Road. From the main street, go N on US 95, cross the river, then look for Jungo Road. Turn left. As the time gets closer, notices of Friday lunch meetings, Friday night Rools Committy meetings, etc. will appear here.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    Life can be a bit hectic for me at times, but I am going to try my best to be at this one. I know I dogged out the last year for certain reasons, but I sure hope I can make it to this one..
    http://GunLoads.com

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by flhroy View Post
    Buckshot that isn't one of those machines that had spark plugs on one side of the engine and injecters on the other is it? those are some serious earth moving machines.
    ...............Yupper. Started on gas and ran on diesel. When they got it it had a bubbleing head gasket . Used an engine hoist to pull the head and the local tractor place had parts in inventory! I don't know what the stroke was but the pistons would disappear down into the block a fur piece.

Set the compression release, turn on the gasoline tank and crank it over. It has a fluttering sound running on gas (comp release open). You ran it like that till the temp guage began to move and then flipped the comp release lever up and the Bosch timed injection pump would shoot the motion lotion to the injectors

She'd belch some black smoke and rattle and clatter, rocking back and forth on the tracks a bit with the rpms running up a down a little till she warmed all the way up. Had to be a real man to clutch and brake tracks. I was only in my early teens at the time and it was fun at first but that wore off before too long.

When I lived in the sticks we had a 1948 I-H wheel tractor that was a 4 cyl diesel and started the same way. It was a horse, and a rat bastard to turn in sharp corners.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Trailblazer,

Read your post about coming and only bringing your .30-30. Why not bring your Marlin conversions you talked about on the leveraction forum. I've wanted to go every year to this match, but things seem to always get in the way. However, if you brought those guns to Nevada, and were planning on coming on to Montana, why you could bring them on too, and come through Plains.

Oh, PS. Bring some ammo for the 7mm conversion.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Buddy
    Old Vic,

I thought about bringing the 30 caliber but it isn't a finished piece yet and I don't know if I will have it all together by then. The 7mm barrel is sitting in the corner as both conversions were done on the same rifle which is a Big Bore Winchester 94. I haven't done the Marlin yet. I probably will but don't know when I will get to that!

I had to look at the map to see where Plains is. I have heard of it but thought it was further south. Whenever I mention going further north my wife starts babbling in strange words that I don't understand! Main problem is we will only have a week for the northern part of the trip and I definitely want to spend some time at the Cody Museum. We were there about 10 years ago and we didn't see it all then and I want to spend more time in the gun museum this time.

Think I will plan on bringing 200 rounds plus whatever else happens to get loaded.

Never enough time

Seems there's never enough time...

To work on projects...

Spend at the Cody Museum...

Or get to the NCBS......
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Quote Originally Posted by Old Vic View Post
    Seems there's never enough time...

To work on projects...

Spend at the Cody Museum...

Or get to the NCBS......
    Back in October, my son and I stopped in to the Cody museum on our way back from a job interview in Wyoming. We spent the whole day in the firearm museum without seeing any of the other stuff. If you go, don't miss the basement part of the firearms museum. There was a video playing down there showing Herb Parson's trick shooting too. Truely amazing. As I understood it the price of admission was actually good for 2 days, so if you are going you might plan accordingly.

Kev

Kev

Vendor Sponsor
    estimado buckshot,

Not sure yet if I will bring the winged avenger or not. If I am broke enough it will surely be there. Real soon Winnemucca is going to be about a hour and a half closer for me. I start monday at the naval air station in Fallon Nevada. The new home of "Top Gun". I accepted a hvac maintenance tech position with the facilities maintenance contractor there. After 4 years of driving all over the state with my last job from hell, I finally found a nice relaxing way to approach my later years. I put an offer on a house and 10 acres on the outskirts of Fallon. I am hoping to finish the deal quick so I don't have to commute from Wellington too long as it is about a hour and forty minute drive one way.

Fallon is a shooters town. Used to be home to Talbot and Ugalde of TCU fame. Could be possible to take on a NCBS sometime in the near future to give BruceB and family a break. Also gives me a whole new part of Nevada to go exploring in depth. There is some excellent Desert Big Horn country near there and I have 13 bonus points for DBH this year so my turn should be coming up soon. So I am off to a new adventure. Hope I can get a loading room set up in time to ready for NCBS 2007. Can't wait to see you again.

ammohead

In Remembrance

Bruce, looks like a great move! Just make sure to get back to the west side of the state for BRGS, I need both you and Urny to spot good milsurps for me to buy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Congrats on the new job, Bruce! Most all of Nevada has always impressed me as gun country, so hearing what you say about the Fallon area is no surprise.

Not trying to induce freq drift on the thread here, but Marie and I are in a pretty intent "re-locate mode" ourselves. The Reno and Boise areas are getting the microscope right now, and unless something radical occurs on Marie's job front locally......we will be outta CA this summer, and a couple of the adult kids will be coming with us. This shouldn't impact NCBS 2007 attendance (there, back on topic), but Marie is likely to fly home from Reno after NCBS while I go prospecting around both Reno and Boise for places to live--this based on job offers now in process. The general locations enable an Ed. D. doctorate program for Marie at a local university that provides same.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Vendor Sponsor
    Great news Al. I was hoping for an update. Needless to say I am rooting for a Nevada landing for you, Marie and family. If you move to Boise I'll still only get to shoot with you once a year.

ammohead

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Reno-NOT

ammohead: i Know you will be surprised,but there is a contrary opinion extant re: Reno Vs Boise for the Paine family.. Regardless ,great news re: your new emp. and real estate find,hope it all goes well for you.. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for all the kind words, guys. Don't be so sure about that "once a year only" shooting bit, Bruce--regardless where I hang my hat.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Gettin' closer to Cedarville Al..

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh, just a little, Pat. I don't know why Cedarville/Surprise Valley doesn't just secede from CA and become part of NV.

If Cedarville and Surprise Valley were to secede to Nevada you wouldn't even need a license to shoot those squirrels.
    May is rapidly approaching and there are so many loads to work up. Hope I don't run out of time. Seems you plan and plan on something and still never get everything done you wanted before your time runs out and the fun weekend is upon you....Walt

Banned

My second now long range Washington Dad was telling me about a place they go to shoot squirls overthere, but it's not Cedarville I guess. Has hot tubs and restaurant, and I guess a nice place to stay.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast