WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot 2007

Vendor Sponsor
    Dean,

If it's public land I don't see why we couldn't camp there. I could drag the winged avenger out this year and help keep and eye on things. Out in that country a guy might be able to call in a yodel dog or two at first light. Now that could be some fun long range shooting! Looking forward to bringing out the browning 1885 now that I have long range sights on it. And I hope to have ammo cobbed up for the new addition...1895 lever in 405 Win.

ammohead

Boolit Mold
    The new site sounds great! Maybe we can pick up some new shooters that are interested in long range. We'll spread the word around our cowboy group, since they are all cast bullet shooters anyway.
    Bruce, is there a hill that we could spread some lime on to help mark shots? We've been trying to find some steel for an eight foot buffalo at our range, and the cost is prohibitive. Setting it up is another problem. Even with 1/4" steel, you are dealing with a lot of weight. Out to 500 yards 24" by 30" is a decent size, if we could come up with some steel.
    Do you mind me asking exactly where the new site is?
    At any rate, both Lori B and I are enthused about the 2007 shoot.
    Tim B
    Tim Buchman

Banned

I could bring my little old self contained dredge claim trailer, and my FoxPro FX3.

That'll call them yotes in..

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I will give you guys a tip. This is assuming ou have access to a welder, and a cutting torch. At our local scrap yard, we can find lotsa one inch steel plate, but never big enough for a large target. =So, you get the smaller chunks, cut and weld where needed, and you can make any type of target, with much less expense. I have been considering putting together a T Rex target for our long range shot!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I will give you guys a tip. This is assuming ou have access to a welder, and a cutting torch. At our local scrap yard, we can find lotsa one inch steel plate, but never big enough for a large target. =So, you get the smaller chunks, cut and weld where needed, and you can make any type of target, with much less expense. I have been considering putting together a T Rex target for our long range shot!

I like your 'CarpetMan and Sheep' target. I think you could sell a lot of them if you advertised.

Ncbs 2007

I have a what remains of a set of big bore pistol/rifle full size silhouettes. Couple rams, few chickens,pigs and turkeys. I will bring to the shoot and you can set them up at the standard pistol, 50-100-150-200 or rifle 200-300-385-500 ranges or whatever the guys and gals want and clang away. Fun targets. Especially if set so they don't fall over somehow
    Also, as I am a die hard coyote caller I will volunteer to stay at the range to play security overnight as that area has always been an ok place to call coyotes and while I am there might as well wack a few....Walt
    Last edited by NVWalt; 12-24-2006 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator

................Now watch since I've put in for my vacation in the 3rd week of May they'll move it back to the 1st week

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

buckshot , the trouble is you are too good a shot . and then go advertise when you want to come and win all . no wonder they move the schedule ..........

hey I hope you make it this year ............Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Super Moderator

...........Now Deano, ole buddy ole pal, I'm touched that you'd lie for me that way and it just makes me warm all over but you're as full of that stuff as a Christmas goose, HA!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    Pat,

As founder of NCBS let me thank you for your offer. I have been up that way and it is beautiful. I think that you hit on something when you said that nothing stops anyone from having more cast bullets shoots. NCBS has been so enjoyable that I can imagine myself making time for another foray to someone elses backyard. The first NCBS saw only 6 board members if I remember correctly and we had a blast. I have been surprized that more members haven't had similar get togethers.

But all politics aside, NCBS belongs in Nevada. But I could be talked into attending a CCBS. Looking forward to meeting you in person in Winnemucca.

ammohead
    Don't know how I missed this but thanks, and I look forward to meeting you also AH..

I will put together a N. Cal shoot someday, and no matter how small, it should be a good time. I need to get more folks up here interested in Cast Boolit shooting, but people have an immediate phobia when you mention it. They just can't picture a lead bullet that you've cast yourself working. Funny- I never had that problem ...

If you use ram silhouettes and Waksupi is there I think you will find he is most aggressive about getting rid of the competition.

On Heaven's Range

"They" strike again (not really)

Buckshot: ".........Now watch since I've put in for my vacation in the 3rd week of May they'll move it back to the 1st week "

Weeeeeeeellll, now.

Bein' as "I" is the "they" who schedule this event, "I" can state with perfect truth that "they" WILL NOT CHANGE the date from the already-announced weekend.

THE 2007 NEVADA CAST BULLET SHOOT WILL BE HELD ON THE WEEKEND OF MAY 18-19-20, AND NO-REPEAT-NO-MISTAKE ABOUT IT.

To meet this schedule, I have to use up 36 vacation hours, but I figure it's worth it. The weather is more likely to be pleasant than earlier dates, and Mothers' Day and Memorial Day do not conflict. OKAY, y'all?????

There may well be a good bit more effort required to set up this time, due to lack of berms, target holders, etc. All offers of steel targets etc already detailed are gratefully accepted. Bring anything you think may be useful and/or fun.

I have a bunch of old railway ties here which we can use for bases for silhouettes etc, but we might have to set them up a bit above-ground so lines of sight will clear the brush etc on site. If anyone has a chainsaw, or post-hole digger, or pick-axes, spades etc....they may all be useful. If we use short ties(4-feet?) as posts, perhaps standing two feet or so above ground level, we should be able to use full-length horizontal 8-foot ties between posts as bases for steel. The rebar/cardboard setups for paper targets should work just as well on the open desert as they did on the range (maybe even better, with softer ground to drive them into.). Might have to go to taller rebar, again to get sight lines above the brush.

We HAVE to leave the absolute minimum "footprint" on the land. No litter, no garbage, minimal tracks etc. I am not going to be asking permission to shoot on public land, but neither will we tolerate leaving it looking abused. Just common sense and common courtesy, right?

Anyone who stays overnight out there is gonna miss all the after-dark festivities, and it's a bit of a drive if one has a libation or two "too many". Keep this in mind. I still think we should pick up the tables and chairs each evening, since they are a generous no-cost loan from Brown's Hardware. If all that's left out there is target supports, not much harm should occur overnight. We can stash the porta-john somewhere close by.

Gonna be fun! Some longer-range targets will add a lot to the enjoyment. I was thinking that, for the team rifle match, we could send each team to the line in turn, and they could fire at a "dicey" steel target in rotation...maybe ten rounds each, rotating shooters for each shot, and EVERYONE counting impacts? THAT would put some pressure on the shooter! What...24" target at 200 yards from standing????

Put the ol' thinking caps on.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

getting better at each asking

Grand idea for team shooten,Bruce: and I am especially looking forward to firing on NVWALT's official silhouette's,as I've yet to miss one of the proper size for the recognized range. ------------Onceabull !!
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Grand Master
    That timeframe works for me, Bruce. It will be nice to have Ezmo The Driver (Buckshot) along for the trip from Bulgaria With Palm Trees.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Bruce, I will cheerfully donate a steel plate abut 3' square, but regret to inform you that there is no Lemon Chiffon paint available.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

In Remembrance

Pat, if I call a magazine a "gunrag," will the kittens be safe?
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Bruce, our calanders have been marked Thanks!

I will bring a couple of shovels, a Maddox, and an old swedish buck saw. I don't have a chain saw. I probably won't be able to swing the maddox, but I am sure someone can.

Looking forward to seeing and visiting with everyone. HAPPY NEW YEAR Mac

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NVcurmudgeon View Post
    Pat, if I call a magazine a "gunrag," will the kittens be safe?
    -not around Kenjuudo-

In Remembrance

Mac, you just make sure to being the mattock, and I'll bring Jaremy (22) to swing it. After four years working as a construction laborer, he probably has muscles in his hair!

NVcurmedgeon,
    Thanks for Jaremy's help!!! Now I have to look the damm word up to see if I not only spelled it wrong, but also been pronouncing it wrong all my life

Hope to see you before long, Mac

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast