Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot 2007

On Heaven's Range

Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot 2007

Sheesh...it seems like yesterday when we started planning for the FIRST NCBS, but it's coming up on the eighth Shoot already!!!

First, to PatMarlin:

Many thanks for the kind offer of your range. Compared to the wasteland setting in Winnemucca, it looks like paradise.

Questions:

-where are you located, exactly?

-how far from motels, restaurants etc?

-is road access reasonably easy?

-can a porta-john be rented anywhere fairly close by?

As far as scheduling goes, I think the weekend between Mothers' Day and Memorial Day would be best. This is the same time we picked for 2006, and it seemed satisfactory to most folks.

So, here we go again!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Banned

Hi Bruce,

Sorry for not posting as I just now found this thread.

Al pm'd me and brought up the point with location as to hotels and restaurants, etc. and that could be a problem with my location as I'm bout 18 miles from the nearest town, which is real small as it is.

BUT as I was replying to his PM, I had a marvelous brain storm!! I get em' once in awhile...

He's part of my note to Al (with some corrections and additions):

Hi Al,

Yeah motels and the (2) restaurants are bout 18 miles away, so that may be a problem for some.

I just had an awesome idea!!!

You know another place that would be really cool is Lewiston, Ca.
    Lewiston- is between Redding and Weaverville off of HYW 299. It's a neat historic town below Trinity Lake, and Lewiston Lake, which Trinity lake dumps into.

There is a range (Lewiston Gun Club) right past the lake. I've met some of these folks and they are really good people, and the club is very small. Understand we are not talking a huge "City Type" range here with all the formalities and regulations, but a nice range in the pristine mountains, and a very nice "Low-key" situation.

Also worthy of mention is it sets right near probably the most pristine lakes in the state (with campgrounds), and the Lewiston Hotel has a fine food restaurant.

I'm sure the Lewiston Gun Club folks would be honored to let use the range. The range is rather small, but set up well, and I think it would be more than adequate for our needs.

This would not only be a great NCBS meet, but a resort vacation as well. The fishing is awesome. The areas located right below the famous "Trinity Alps". The weather in this part of the county is the most pleasing and accommodating you will find.

It's only bout' 45 minutes west of Redding and I-5, a and about 40 minutes from me. Possibly more centrally located for some Castbooliteers. Straight shot over from 395 at Susanville for Nevada folks.

This may be a winner here Al? Give you and Rick a reason to come up and check it out.

Here's a link:

http://www.lewistongunclub.org/

http://www.lewistonca.com/

Campgrounds on the lake between the range and town also.

I'm getting really excited by the thought of this as I can't think of a more friendly private setting, in a more beautiful part of the world, with everything you would need close by.....

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

How bout Reno? Isnt that home of a few CB'ers? It really wouldn't be a NCBS in Cal.
    Not that the offer isn't welcome Pat but..........
    The problems of gun transfer in & out of commiefornia presents a serious issue to me.

As it is,my back problems will probably preclude me from attending anyway so
    maybe that isn't even a factor.

I guess Northern Calfornia Boolit Shoot still fits the initials..........
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Banned

Willy... we are in the far north of Cal, and there are no commie regulations or Gestapo at the borders in these gun friendly mountain community's.

California's gun laws get SO over exaggerated..

Banned

You probably can't bring your 50 cal machine gun, or AR-15's in unless they are Cal approved I would image.

Who of us shoot those at a cast boolit meet?

Dept Al would be the one to address these legalities, as he and Buckshot have been to the Nevada shoots, and are Kalifornians..
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 12-13-2006 at 04:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some of areas of California make Soviet-era Bulgaria look inviting, in terms of gun owner appreciation. SFO and LA come to mind in that context, San Diego is actually pretty decent, and most of the San Joauquin Valley/Sacramento Valley counties aren't bad at all--excepting Sacto metro. Where I live--the Inland Empire--is about a "3"....."1" being Nevada, "10" being checkpoints every 15 miles a la Kabul or Beirut. So, it varies--which may be even scarier to folks out-of-state.

There are provisions in CA law that allow the possession/transport/use of what CA calls "assault weapons" and high-capacity magazines into and within the state for purposes of bona fide shooting competitions. A posting on the Web at the range website concerning NCBS would likely suffice as evidence of that competition being held. Hell, the discussion HERE would probably suffice, once a date and location is set. If sufficient interest in the site seems to develop, I'll sharpen up the info on black rifles and high-caps for out-of-state shooters.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Actually I am not Willy,,his handle is Gunloads Master,he provides the server and hosts CB on the Gunloads.com domain.

Just a bit of history here.......

I am Ken,,I started Cast Boolits when Shooters.com ceased operations 29 Aug,2003 was the opening of CB over at the achive on aimoo.com .

I have attended NCBS for 4 years and actually I have brought my 500A Square everytime,no its not a auto 50 BMG but it does use .510 BMG bullets as well as my own CB's.

I have also brought a few other guns to NCBS that would probably present problems to be "caught" with in Cal,,namely high cap pistols that I would prefer not be confiscated by the golden state and melted into flower vases and such.

None of these guns would be required to attend,however NV doesnt present any issue to them. And freedom to bring whatever I grab vs careful legal selections to abide by the sacramento emperors enters the fray.

Like I said,,it doesn't seem likely I will attend this year anyway,so don't let me rain on the parade.
    Last edited by 45nut; 12-13-2006 at 05:17 PM.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Banned

Oops. Sorry Ken.

To further describe Upper Northern California...

This county is Trinity County a huge county with a population of 13,000 spread way out all over the place, so when you think of large poulations, and big cities you won't find it up here. THANK GOD!!!

Ya also won't find one stop light in the county I'm very proud to say..
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 12-13-2006 at 05:16 PM.

It's still Nazifornia.
    I have been looking forward to the NCBS this year and if for some reason its held in Nazifornia it
    !: wont be a Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot
    2: I am extremely leary , one could say paranoid, of that state and its assinine gun laws.
    3: Could you bring a mortar or cannon into that state to play with?
    Just a few of my concerns about it anyways.
    You could also have it at the Carson City range also if you notified the parks department.
    Nice range with benches for pistol and rifle and then there are the 4 pit ranges used for pistol there also.
    Just another range in Nevada if for some reason you don't want to have it in Winnamuca....Walt

Moderator Emeritus

Pat, any chance of a pig hunt up there?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NVWalt View Post
    It's still Nazifornia.
    I have been looking forward to the NCBS this year and if for some reason its held in Nazifornia it
    !: wont be a Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot
    2: I am extremely leary , one could say paranoid, of that state and its assinine gun laws.
    3: Could you bring a mortar or cannon into that state to play with?
    Just a few of my concerns about it anyways.
    You could also have it at the Carson City range also if you notified the parks department.
    Nice range with benches for pistol and rifle and then there are the 4 pit ranges used for pistol there also.
    Just another range in Nevada if for some reason you don't want to have it in Winnamuca....Walt
    NV Walt-

If you have a better venue to support your paranoia, please have at it...

For Christ sakes... those that have a California phobia come up with a better solution.

It makes me no difference...

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmmm....let's review......

OK, we're having this conversation because......a community in the gun friendly state of Nevada decided that it was better public policy to close a county-operated publicly-owned range facility to accomodate the interests of some fool that built a home in the prolongated impact area of that now-closed range, rather than condemning the residence and admitting the faux pas perpetrated by whatever Planning Department signed off on the project. True wisdom, that.

It would seem that at least indifference and perhaps hostility to the interests of shooters is alive and well in at least one community in Nevada.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Hmmm yes. I haven't heard of any rifle ranges getting the rug pulled out from underneath them here in the Father Land..

Nazifornia isn't that nice to gun clubs either. The San Gabriel Gun Club was just closed down along with the Silverado Gun Club , the West End Gun Range and another one down in Orange county I couldn't find the name to, and the Apple Valley range is very close to being history as I type
    This is all neither here nor there, but it I know you northern California guys are way differant than the rest of California in your thinking and ways, but it is still California. And if I can't play with the guns I like to play with there I guess thats just too bad for me is all.
    Maybe like you said before that a Northern California Bullet Shoot is a pretty good idea. Double the fun....
    But if it is the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, I would think it would be in Nevada..Well, there is a Nevada county in California LOL
    Anyways, I just wanted to mention one range that was an alternative to Winnemuca, which isnt a bad town and I have shot their range shooting high power and silhouette matches there. There is also Palomino and ranges farther east of there also ..
    And Pat, I see southern California has moved into Lost Wages and they carry the votes in this state so I see Nevada turning into a clone of California real soon.. Good shooting to all...Walt

Banned

Well Mr. 3-posts, I'm sure we will all try very hard to accomodate your needs..

As far as the long time- Castbooliteers, if you don't have a place figured out, and wouid ever like to come to our county up here, please let me know and I will make all the necessary inquirys and make it happen...

Quote Originally Posted by NVWalt View Post
    Nazifornia isn't that nice to gun clubs either. The San Gabriel Gun Club was just closed down along with the Silverado Gun Club , the West End Gun Range and another one down in Orange county I couldn't find the name to, and the Apple Valley range is very close to being history as I type
    This is all neither here nor there, but it I know you northern California guys are way differant than the rest of California in your thinking and ways, but it is still California. And if I can't play with the guns I like to play with there I guess thats just too bad for me is all.
    Maybe like you said before that a Northern California Bullet Shoot is a pretty good idea. Double the fun....
    But if it is the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, I would think it would be in Nevada..Well, there is a Nevada county in California LOL
    Anyways, I just wanted to mention one range that was an alternative to Winnemuca, which isnt a bad town and I have shot their range shooting high power and silhouette matches there. There is also Palomino and ranges farther east of there also ..
    And Pat, I see southern California has moved into Lost Wages and they carry the votes in this state so I see Nevada turning into a clone of California real soon.. Good shooting to all...Walt
    Walt, Silverado closed 25 years ago (also a private range in the area of Irvine Park, both due to Irvine Company development), West End is still open, the one in Orange County was South Coast Gun Club which changed its name to Orange County shooting and Training Center while on its death bed; didn't help, they were shutdown 11 years ago because of freeway construction. I was a member in all of them except San Gabriel.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Pat Marlin:

Being from Mendocino County (yeah, I know; but here in Anderson Valley we have a good mix of rednecks, hippies and just plain folks with a generally healthy attitude about guns - and our last Sheriff and DA taught and promoted CCW classes) a NorCal Bullet Shoot in the northern San Joaquin Valley woulfd be very appealing. I could barely make the old Topaz Lake site, and Winnemucca is totally out of my orbit (dern it!). The Lewiston Gun Club site sounds VERY interesting, and I for one would be very glad to hear more about it. I know three of us "Kimmies" (local dialect for "Good Ol'Boys") would go for sure.

floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Banned

Where you at now FG?

I wasn't sure by your post...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Pat, any chance of a pig hunt up there?

MTG, I'm working on that one. No pigs close to me, but definitely in other areas up here.

I've got a friend that I heard is now caretaking a huge ranch down in the valley near Williams off I-5. He told me some time back he may move there and it is thick with wild hogs. Somthing like 1000 acres, and there's no one else there most of the time but him..

Moderator Emeritus

My brother lives in Santa Rosa and gave up hunting and most shooting when he married. His kids got involved in it in Boy Scouts and the 2 youngest are certified gun nuts. Mom won't let them reload or keep powder in the house but they were out for an antelope hunt this fall and want me to go on a pig hunt north of them sometime. It would be a fun thing to combine. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast