RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 9mm cast results

9mm cast results

I am shooting a 9mm Luger Radom semi auto pistol. I did up 4 trial loads for this with cast boolits. I tired using Unique and SR7625. The powder did not make much difference for results and started with bottom end loads about 4 gr. The bore slugs in the groove max is .358" I dont know about the loading though, as 4gr, pretty much fills the case once the boolit is seated. I dont know how I would get 5gr or so in there as a max load??? Is it ok to compress in 9mm with cast using unique or 7625?? I also just got some bullseye, so I may give that a whirl to see how much it fills the case.

The boolits I had available were all cast of ww and mix some lino in and water quench, unsized and LLA.

The first boolit was Lee TL 124gr rn. This boolit shot very accuratly, but leaded a little. Nothing terrible, but I would prefer no leading. I know it is under sized at .356", but it shot surprisingly well for groups, basically all touching at 10meters about 1" group.

The second boolit was Lee 105gr SWC .358", this boolit did not lead, but did not shoot as well. It shot high for the fixed sights (I know this is from the low weight), but groups were erratic and around 3-4" at 10 meters.

Now with 147gr jacketed, I can shoot under 1" at 10 meters, so I know the pistol can do it as can I, on a good day that is.

So another question would be, is it worth it to buy a 125gr .358" mold??? I guess the nice thing about Lee molds is they are only $26 up here, so no major cost involved once I can find one.

Also just wanted to post some results for 9mm as I have not found a whole lot for this cal in this forum.

Thanks, Matt

Boolit Grand Master

Both of those bullets should do well in the 9mm. I suggest a new sizer at .358 instead of a new mould and switching to Bullseye powder at 3.5 - 4 gr. Also if using LLA use enough so the lube grooves on the TL bullet are full after sizing. If you do decide on a new mould I suggest the Lee 356-120-TC. I've had nothing but good success with it in numerous 9mm hand guns and a couple rifles.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on Lee 356-120TC with conventional lube. Runs great in multiple 9mms in my
    experience. I've had decent results with Unique in 9mm, too. Currently using
    up a large amount of Nobel SP8, sjo that is my std 9mm load.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

+3 on the Lee 120gr. TC bullet. I have shot it through my 9MM and .380. Works great!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I guess I'll be +4 on the Lee 120TC, excellent 35 cal rifle and pistol bullet. It was the most accurate of all I tried in the 9MM. It is now the most accurate bullet out of my K-38 beating out my H&G rn and will get the nod for all my Hunters pistol silhouette except for the 100yd Ram. The only reason for that is I don't think it will reliably knock it over due to it's light weight.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    +5 on the 120 TC, and +1 for the 125 2R mold if you get around to trying it. I like the 2R mold as the lube groove is much further back and you get a wider variety of lengths you can load for.

I never had much positive experience with tumble lube, and I tried every recipe under the sun.
    Last edited by CiDirkona; 04-18-2011 at 05:47 PM.

ok, thanks alot guys. Any comments on the compression of Unique. Like I say I used 4 gr and it seemed the boolit was touching the powder and that was a very lite load as per the books (lyman cast bullet 3 and 4)??????????????

Boolit Buddy
    I could never get Unique to measure well in my Lee powder measure -- haven't tried it again since having moved to a Dillon.