Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with 45-70 load

Boolit Grand Master

Deputy Al;
    Thanks for the LOL. Boy, are we on the same page!!! I mentioned that I have an 1895 Marlin lever rifle, but I also have a Ruger #3 with a cute little schnable forend off a Ruger #1. I believe the #3 is even lighter than your #1. I can remember, several years ago, shooting a friend's Ruger #1 with 405 gr bullets at max velocity. I swear I could feel my retinas detaching!!

I shot BPCR Sil for about fifteen years and have a lot of respect for the old black powder rounds with both black AND smokeless. Black powder ballistics suit me just fine with the .45/70. My big game hunting has been limited to one bear (.375 H&H) and several deer with a handgun. Surely, my .45/70's will do as well as my .44 mag revolvers on typical big game that I am apt to hunt...

Dale53

Loaded some up with 13.0 grains of Unique and a grain of poly pillow stuffing. At fifty yards four shots went into about one inch and the fifth opened the group up to 2". Not too shabby for my eyes and a peep sight. The velocity was very consistent averaging 1175 for 10 shots. To my pleasant suprise, the point of impact was virtually identical as my mule kicking 420 grainers. I'd like to try to get the velocity up to 1400-1500 fps if the bullet will take it. Got a couple other powders to play with still. Thanks to all for your input.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 6 1/2 lb Rolling Block sporting rifle in .45-70 with a bore that is less than perfect. The narrow cressant buttplate will get your attention quick from the bench during load development. It's favorite load is 10gr Red Dot with a Lee 450 from ACWW. It has produced groups of under 1" at 50 and about 1 1/2" at 100 yds when I can see the sights just right. I don't know the velocity but that load with 9Bhn bullet has taken a couple deer with no problem at 10 and 50 yds. Broadside shots on both, some signs of expansion and you could eat right up to the hole. Maybe Santa will bring me a chronograph. It doesn't like 3031 or 4198. 5744 has shot some decent groups but nothing is as consistantly accurate as the Red Dot load. That combination of the LEE and Red Dot has also kept me from serious load development with other powders and boolits. A few friends have also tried Red Dot and had good results, usually at slightly different powder charges. I don't want to experiment higher than 10gr. on my old black powder action. The 457125 500gr shoots very well also - I think it's the long bore ride nose on the LEE 450 and 457125 that this rifle likes, though the nose just touches the tops of the lands. I'm looking for a lighter bullet that shoots and bought the group buy 460-350 but haven't shot it yet. Just yesterday afternoon I shot the Lee 450 and 457124 405gr with Unique with loads from 10 -12 gr. The Lee wasn't happy, groups running 2" at 50. The 457124 liked 11gr with 4 in a 3/4" hole and a flyer 1" out. These were only 5 shot groups, 1 group of each load. I'll try them at 100 yds when I get some time and daylight. I recall trying some dacron with Unique a few years ago with this rifle and it didn't make any difference in accuracy, maybe pressure wasn't at a level that was causing troubles with these PB bullets. I sure hope I can get the group buy mold to shoot - I'd like to save the lead and the reduced recoil would be nice.
    Keep your plow share and your sword, know how and when to use them.

Mr. Deputy......... So what do I do with my 45-100? Suffer! I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12