Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2PBcastcoRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joni Lynn's Mauser

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Joni Lynn's Mauser

I am doing a bit of work for Joni Lynn on a rifle project. She had already done a masterful job of inletting and bedding the recoil lug. I am impressed by the quality of work.
    Anyway, I'm going to stick this topic during the build, to keep Lynn up to date, and maybe give a few tips for others.
    It appears we start out with a Bishop stock, and a nice mid '50's FN Mauser action. It is barreled in .280 Ackley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JoniLynn 002.jpg  
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The first thing I did, was to start establishing some lines. The tang was taken down to avoid the grooved stock like you see on military and amateur stocking jobs. The next step, was to see that the bolt cleared the comb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unfiled tang.jpg   bolt clearance.jpg  
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I wanted to establish the bottom line of the forearm next, so took the wood down to the bottom metal, and used a straight edge to continue the same line to the fore arm tip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bottom after.jpg  

Then I took a look at the butt ugly butt. I could see the bottom line needed changed, to make the lines flow to the lower stock near the trigger guard, and bring up the cheek piece line to co-inside with the top of the wrist line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails butt layout.jpg   shadowline.jpg  

Wood is then removed from the front of the trigger guard, in an arch that meets with the center of the pistol grip, giving you a line to work on to keep things even and rounded properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grip shape.jpg  

The same basic process is used for the fore arm thinning. Establish lines, and work from those points. At this point I also cut the forearm, to 2 fifths the length of the barrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fore end shaping.jpg  

I have also cut out the ejection port, and beveled it. No picture at the time, it came out too blurry. The last thing I did today, was to inlet the bolt handle, so there is zero wood to metal contact. Tomorrow, I will do the shaping around the bolt release.
    Once I have reached this point, I can start refining the final shape of the wood. All of the critical lines are in place, and now it must be made to flow together. All lines on a firearm should flow together, and not be a miss directed line pointing to nothing.
    I will keep this topic updated as well as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inletting bolt.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    All lines on a firearm should flow together, and not be a miss directed line pointing to nothing.
    I enjoy watching a nice rifle emerge from a piece of wood and with the statement above being a watchword This will be a good one to follow. A bit hard to see grain and colour yet so maybe you caqn post a larger, clearer pic. The last pic looks like it has a lot of promise.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    I enjoy watching a nice rifle emerge from a piece of wood and with the statement above being a watchword This will be a good one to follow. A bit hard to see grain and colour yet so maybe you caqn post a larger, clearer pic. The last pic looks like it has a lot of promise.

Von Gruff.
    Just click on the picture, they enlarge.

Boolit Lady
    It's looking good Ric.
    It's only a Bishop butt plate. I put it on to give more protection to the wood as it got moved around.
    The stock began as a basic stock blank. It's looking so much better now.

In Remembrance

As a final touch as a recoil pad I have found many women prefer the Pachmyer De-celerator pad for comfortable shooting, many men prefer it also.Robert

Ok, for today's adventure, I started out with doing the bolt stop. The lighting is not good, and doesn't show the sculpting well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boltstopraw.jpg   bolt lock layout.jpg   sculpting.jpg  

I mentioned in my first posts, about taking the tang down to proper level. Here is what it looks like. You can see a very light bright spot on the very rear of the tang, where I had got the lightest of contact while draw filing. This will come down just a bit more with the sanding process.
    This is also a very good example of the quality of Lynn's inletting work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drawfiledtang.jpg  

There was still a lot of wood on the forearm, so I drew some guide lines, and slimmed things down. I always recommend drawing in the guides, so you don't end up with dips in the wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bottom lay out.jpg  

I'm now down to the point where I will need to get some sling mounts, and the recoil pad. Lynn had sent along a Decelerator, but is too big for this rifle.
    So, hopefully I will have these parts next week. Over the next few days, I will do some tweaking on the bedding, to free float the barrel. Lynn is sending out the reloading dies, and I believe Nolan is sending a few rounds of brass. I will do some test firing, and see that the accuracy is up to snuff. Once I am happy with that, we will start in with the wood and metal finish.
    What we have so far;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bolt side.jpg   cheek side.jpg  

I'll add in a thought or two here.
    I was looking over the receiver today, and saw it had been given the Swiss cheese treatment by a former owner. For some reason, the "before" picture disappeared from my camera, so will show the "after". There is one old screw hole that had been previously plugged near the front hole, and in the rear, was a filler screw.
    I took a diamond stone, and flattened the rear receiver ring. I guess it would be more correctly said, that I flattened it, according to the action contour.
    These are generally out of specs, on even the best actions. I spent many hours blueprinting the Montana 1999 actions to correct this, and have had the graduate course. The surface needs to give good full length contact to the scope base, for consistent accuracy, and the bases needs to be leveled with each other. Fortunately, the front receiver ring showed good consistent contact on the full length.
    Once I had this accomplished, I re-inserted the filler screw in the rear hole, indexed it, and took it down to match the finish surface.
    You can see on the lower portion of the receiver ring where the stone wasn't making full contact. This gives you an idea of how uneven they really are.

Found the lost pictures, for before and after.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JoniLynn2.jpg   raw.jpg   done.jpg  
    Last edited by waksupi; 04-11-2011 at 05:29 PM.

What to do about those holes in the stock.

In many stocks you get, there will be small holes, knots, and voids. I have even seen this in high dollar blanks, the overall figure of the wood supporting the price.
    One of the worst I ever had to fix was for a customer in Minnesota. I'm sure I filled at least 50 small voids in the stock. It came out well enough, it was one of our exhibition pieces at SHOT and SCI that year.
    On the stock I am working on, there are a few small patch jobs that was done by the wood vendor, that were going to stick out like a sore thumb on the finished firearm.
    I used an Exacto, Foredom, and dental picks to remove all of the filler material, and cleaned out any loose pieces of wood. On small knots in the stock, if the centers were not tight, I removed any loose material, and repaired the spot.
    Once I have the loose and unwanted material removed, I get a scrap of similar wood, and start trimming until I have a plug that will fit into the hole. I want it to go in as deeply as possible, with as good of fit as possible.
    I apply some Titebond glue, and re-insert the plug. I then GENTLY tap the plug in as far as it wants to go.
    At this point, I will wipe off excess glue, and trim the plug as closely as possible. A cut off wheel in a Dremel(!) works well for this.
    I then lightly file the plug to take it nearly to surface, then course sand, using a sanding block to finish it off. This will fill any small gaps you may have had in your filling.
    You will be surprised how well the repairs work, and disappear in a finished piece.
    I'll cover what to do with hair line voids in the finish process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails april11shoot 001.jpg   april11shoot 002.jpg   april11shoot 003.jpg   april11shoot 004.jpg  
    Last edited by waksupi; 04-11-2011 at 04:46 PM.

I have also heard of using "sanding dust " from the piece of wood in question mixed with tru oil or linseed as a filler with reported good results . Not necacerily for a large void but to fill exposed grain I understand it works very well !

I put the Jerry Fisher grip cap on, indexed the screws, and filed everything flush. This is another thing that seems to have disappeared from the camera. I'll try to remember to take another snap shot of it.
    Next was the butt pad. I gave the butt a good heavy coat of finish, and waxed the screws for easy installation. I could see when I put the finish here, this is going to be one beautiful piece of wood. Lots of great color in it.
    This morning I went to a friends place, who has a Scott Murry wheel, to take the butt pad down to stock level. I've tried it with the belt sander before, and that doesn't work near as well.
    I went ahead and mounted one of my scopes for testing this afternoon. It was necessary to grind a small angle on the rear of the scope base, as it interferred with the bolt travel, preventing it from locking into position. I basically just matched the contour of the receiver.
    I find I have some problem with the bolt stop/ejector I will need to figure out, may just need a good cleaning and polishing. Whatever it is, it will be an easy fix on this particular mechanism. I doubt the spring would be broke on one of these. Tough stuff.
    Fire form powder was 4831. Bullets are Sierra 150 gr. SPBT, as I know they usually perform well.
    When I fired the first group to fire form the brass, I nearly stopped right there. It shot a very respectable group, of around 2".
    Once I had the brass fire formed, I decided to try the same load again. The elevation was very good, with horizontal stringing. The winds we have could most likely account for that.
    Having established a starting point, I went to a slightly slower powder, WC852. 53 grains made a nice group of just under 1.25", one shot being a called shot low. I'm going to call this acceptable, as the rifle displayed no tendency to shoot wildly at all. With my eyes, and a four power scope, I doubt I can shoot it any better. I suspect with a good scope with higher magnification, this will stack shots in one hole. Onthe target below, the lower right five shots were the fire forming. Lower left, same load. Top group, final load tested.
    I did find that the magazine would hold five .280 Remington, but will only hold four of the improved chamber cartridges. I TRIED to stuff five in, no soap.
    And somewhere between my shooting bench, and the reloading bench, I have lost one piece of the brass. One free spotted pony to anyone who can tell me where I put it.
    I am now at the point where I can start the final sanding and shaping, and metal clean up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JoniLynn3 001.jpg   JoniLynn3 002.jpg   JoniLynn3 003.jpg   JoniLynn3 009.jpg   JoniLynn3 008.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus

Nice work Ric and in a great chamberiing.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast