Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When is enough enough?

Longwood
    The way I see it is I am going to salvage as much as I can. If I never use it, so be it, there is a good chance someone else may benefit from it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    how much sex is too much ????? it may not be around long lead that is
    Gives new meaning to the term lead in your pencil doesn't it?

I'm actually getting pretty close to "good" on lead. I've got only 1400lbs, but I always shoot into a backstop, so I almost always come home from shooting with more lead than I fired. I just sift out the dirt after shooting.
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
    I always shoot into a backstop, so I almost always come home from shooting with more lead than I fired. I just sift out the dirt after shooting.
    Someday I'm gonna have a gig like that! Right now all of my fired boolits get donated to the berm at my local range.

Armorer

Figure lead ww are gone in 2-3 years from now, about the life of a set of tires. The nationwide ban of lead ww will be in effect soon, if not, the manuf aren't going to make diff ww for diff states & the biggest user, Kalif, banned them one year ago.
    Me, I don't actively look, but always ask when in a shop or job site or where ever lead products can be had. Get what you can where you can. It doesn't go bad & stores in a small space. I have maybe 1500# of diff alloys, I will always get more when I can. I took 50# out of my range berm last weekend in about 15min.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    That's a good point about selling the batteries. It's a lot of work cutting up those things.
    You could probably get more lead from the money you'll get than you'll get from smelting them.
    I only got about 4 lbs of lead from car battery that weighed over 30 lbs. If you can get $4 or $5 each, then you can buy pre smelted ingots here and save yourself all the work.
    Yep,

My local tire shop owner gave me a bucket of 28 pounds of wheel weights. He would not take any money. The next time I went by, I gave him two car batteries that I had out by the garage as a thanks. His face lit up and he said "Thanks, I can get $10 each for them at the scrap yard." That's $20 for the lead, which probably has bad stuff in it, plus all the electrolyte which they also recycle.

I hope he has more wheel weights for me next time. I think that I've already paid for them!

DC-1

Boolit Buddy
    Lead is like guns, you can never have too many!!!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I took 50# out of my range berm last weekend in about 15min.
    How did you do that? Dig'n and sift'n or just pickin em up off the ground? I pick off the top layer and can never get that much in that short of a time. Maybe not enough shooters at my range.

Boolit Bub
    my wife thinks i'm already nuts and I only have 120kgs (264lb?) of ww i thought of slowing down but it is an obsession, and you guys have pointed out that i have a long way to catch up!!

Quote Originally Posted by rugerglocker View Post
    How did you do that? Dig'n and sift'n or just pickin em up off the ground? I pick off the top layer and can never get that much in that short of a time. Maybe not enough shooters at my range.
    It's a private club range, so I use a sifter & bucket & shovel off the top 4-5" of dirt & sift it. I always repair the berm before I leave. The limiting factor is the bucket & how much wt you want to tote 50yds back to the truck! The bucket weighed 70#, after rocks & jackets, about 50# of useable alloy.
    120kgs (264lb?) of ww
    That's only 9200 200gr/45s, not nearly enough.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range. man.electric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Armorer View Post
    Right now all of my fired boolits get donated to the berm at my local range.

Armorer

The county runs our range and I know that groups can rent the range and close it for private functions. There is about 15 years of lead since the last berm remodel out there and I am considering renting the range and bringing in my back hoe and a cement mixer and going to town with a couple of buddies. With a little sweat and luck there should be a few tons laying in in them there hills.

Quote Originally Posted by man.electric View Post
    The county runs our range and I know that groups can rent the range and close it for private functions. There is about 15 years of lead since the last berm remodel out there and I am considering renting the range and bringing in my back hoe and a cement mixer and going to town with a couple of buddies. With a little sweat and luck there should be a few tons laying in in them there hills.
    If the range fee isn't oo high, that coudl certianly work. Not sure you need a backhoe though, most bullets are within 12 depth of the soil.

Boolit Grand Master

"hoarding"????????????

WRONG !!!!!
    Nobody hunted and took pizzas to my sources for me. Nobody sweat ed over the turkey fryer, but me. I spent the time and labor to obtain and refine it. I earned every ingot of it, the hard way.
    When I need primers or powder, I trade lead for them.
    I have warned for many years that freebie lead was going to disappear.
    It's the old aint and grasshopper tale, all over again.
    So it ain't hoarding, its being smart.
    Now if ya really need some, I could be persuaded to share.

By the way, I got almost 300lbs today at a salvage yard thats 65 miles from home. The price was .60/lb for lead pipe and sheet , and .40/lb for WWs.

Quote Originally Posted by eldoradolee View Post
    Wrong,wrong,wrong.There is way to much "HOARDING" these day's.You guy's with access to lead,really hurt those of us that have to buy it.So keep on bragging.

Mold Maker.
    How much sheet lead would you like to part with?
    hvrcleemimi@hotmail.com
    Last edited by eldoradolee; 04-12-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: didn't finish

Boolit Master
    You people with more than a thousand pounds should feel bad about hogging all the lead. If it helps you sleep better at night you can send me your extra amounts and I will put it to good use. I only have about 500 pounds of lead and 200 pounds of 63/37 solder and need more lead to use up my solder.

Boolit Grand Master

Huh! How bad do you feel about hogging up all that solder?

Boolit Man
    Having too much lead - and - getting thrown OUT of jail, I don't see either scenario happening to me.

Boolit Bub

When is enough, enough?

A more serious question:

DO YOU EVER WANT TO RISK RUNNING OUT OF LEAD AND/OR BULLETS???

However, while gathering the WWs is very important, turning them into usable bullets is more important.

How many bullets is enough....?

BTW - PLEASE stay away from using batteries. Not only will you be unsure of the mix you get (and probably won't ever be able to duplicate it again), there are way too many substances in batteries that atomize when melted and reek havoc with your lungs, liver, kidneys, etc. - even with superb ventillation (some of these substances, when atomized, can be absorbed directly through your skin)!

Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    I currently have 800 lbs of clip on WW's and about 200 lbs of Stick on WW's. By my calculations I can make somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 boolits with this amount, but I still can't stop looking for more. Is this wrong???? I keep heatring that the WW's are going away so I keep looking.

Anyone else have this problem and how much do you have lying around. My wife istarting to think I am nuts, maybe it's lead poising......

Boolit Buddy

We have 235 lbs of WW ingots that we hunted down one at a time at the local DIY junk yard.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range. man.electric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    If the range fee isn't oo high, that coudl certianly work. Not sure you need a backhoe though, most bullets are within 12 depth of the soil.
    There are access roads to get to the berms that usually are locked, but the keys are given out to parties that rent the range. I figure the backhoe will make hauling lead from the 25, 50, 100, and 200 yard ranges easier and I own the machine so I might as well work smarter.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast