RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best .22 revolver

Boolit Master
    Freedom Arms. I saw one clean the chickens at 100 meters in a IHMSA regional championship.

Having had Colt, Smith and Ruger .22 revolvers, the nod has to go to the Smiths and Colts. I doubt either of those two shoot better than the other across a broad spectrum of revolvers. Unfortunately, in recent years, .22 rim fire ammo has gone down hill in quality to the extent that the cheap ammo often does not work well with any of the revolvers. The good .22 ammo costs so much that it is cheaper to load for a .38 or even a .45.

Boolit Master
    Although I own a few other S&W .22 revolvers this 4" 617 is a favorite to haul around in the desert !

Jerry

S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    Although I own a few other S&W .22 revolvers this 4" 617 is a favorite to haul around in the desert !

Jerry
    Got one just like yours in blue and it's probably the "most shot" of all my .22s...rifles included!

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Bill:

I have a 6" and 8 3/8" 17-6 in blue as well ! Wish I could find a 4" like yours !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master
    What Dan Cash said. A Colt Diamondback would be a fine addition to anyone's battery.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I owned a K-22 and really liked it but decided that if I was going to pack a revolver that large and heavy it would be a 357. I have owned a couple model 63s and liked them but for almost twenty years now my old Model 34 has been my favorite. It has certainly taken its share of cottontails. I must admit though, for many years I have lusted for a Diamondback. I haven't even seen one for several years. Neil

In Remebrance

That's the truth Neil. My little 34 has a lot more miles on it than my K22, killed a lot more stuff too. When it comes to "the best" I suppose we have to qualify things a bit.

Boolit Master
    Count me in for another K-22 vote. I like my Colt Officer's Model Match pretty good too. They both shoot like young rifles.

Moderator Emeritus

I grew up toting a H&R 9 shot break open and thinking it was the greatest gun ever. Guess it might be the perspective of a 13 year old boy looking back though.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    You're 13 and looking back? Just how young were you when you started out?!

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    I grew up toting a H&R 9 shot break open and thinking it was the greatest gun ever. Guess it might be the perspective of a 13 year old boy looking back though.
    I'd love to snag a 999 in good shape. They used to be $40-75.00 guns when they were still made, the used ones anyway. Now they go over $200.00 in decent shape and that's if you can even find one. Shoulda, woulda, coulda strikes again! I put a lot of rounds through a friends 999. It wasn't the most accurate revolter I ever shot, but it was a fantastic truck/trapline gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    The Dan Wesson .22 will do some mighty fine shooting. But it weights about twice as much as a standard 22 revolver. But that barrel swap capability sure makes it versitile
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    For me, the .22 revo with the best combination of features is the Model 17. I like the balance, sight radius, trigger, overall feel, and accuracy. The only thing I don’t particularly like is that it is blued. I prefer stainless, so while my 17 is terrific, sensitivity of the finish, age and collector status tend to mitigate against the 17. I tend to shoot my 617s more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3674.jpg  

In Remembrance
    Ruger Single-Six.

I have a S&W K-22 that was manufactured in 1952 that is a great shooter. I own it since many years and did some of my most spectacular shots with it.

I now have a Korth rimfire revolver to compare it to and the Korth is superior. The D/A is unbelievably smooth and the finish is breathtaking!

I learnt shooting on a Colt OMM and am a revolver guy, the OMM is a nice gun, the K-22 is a great gun - but the Korth is my favorite.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a Dan Wesson fan myself. Accurate as anything out there and I can change barrels in a matter of minutes.
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

Boolit Master
    Freedom Arms 252 or a Korth..........Nothing else is even in the ballpark!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

Blasternank,

Agreed, I'm mucho impressed with the S&W 617 10-shot.

That said, my Dad says I'll get my Grandfather's K-22 some day. I'm getting close to 60 but still excited like a kid over having that gun, both for what it is and for whose it was. I can't wait. The best part is that I have been transfered back to the town where my Grandfather lived so will be using it in the same New Mexico desert where he carried it 50 years ago. I had a choice of his 4" blued Colt Trooper (original model) or the K-22 and chose the K-22. Old beats new any day on this choice.

Drifting off the thread, I did have to take the Colt out for a spin at the range. It was still in the gun rug that it was in back in the '60s complete with the hunting scene printed flannel liner and had some of the old SuperVel ammo in the rug. I was the first person to fire it since my Grandfather and he died in 1987. It was kind of a deep and special moment.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

10 shot 617 pre lock 6" barrel Sweet shooting and accurate Will never sell it. Looked for a long time to find a pre lock.
    Dave

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast