RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Filing down .22's into SWC's

Boolit Master

Filing down .22's into SWC's

I read an older Handloader article where there was a tool that was like a gauge where you could take a .22 long rifle (not a hollowpoint) and put it in and it would expose the top 1/16 " of an inch or so where you could file it flat, giving you a SWC type bullet and supposedly better expansion. Has anyone tried this at all? I was thinking of trying to come up with a homemade tool where I could use this with my K-22 revolver.

Boolit Grand Master

Nastinose Tool/LINK

Paco Kelly used to make a tool similar to this.

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco.htm

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

In Remebrance

I've made several. Take a hunk of old 22 barrel, run a 22 LR reamer in and then cut it down till you get as much nose exposed as you want. I took a set of very small, very sharp wire cutters and flattened the back side. No more filing! The only problem is you end up with a hunk of metal that's really easy to lose.

BTW- Using bulk HV 22 ammo, both solid and HP, I get better grouping (usually) from the altered rounds. I kind of thing it's the CG being moved rearward. My first rig was toos hort and gave me an almost wadcutter bullet. The next gave me a FP about half the diameter of the bullet or so, it makes a big diff on squirrels and pests.

Boolit Master

i have some CCI 22 lr ammo , called small game bullet that has a flat nose from the factory . dont know if its still avaliable, but its accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a .22 Rimfire modifier (home built) and also Paco Kelly's complete tool set.

They work VERY well. There is a definite improvement in squirrel "stopping power" compared to a standard round nose rimfire. My favorite configuration is a RF. The accuracy is excellent, the killing power is NOW sufficient for body shots without the meat ruining use of hollow points.

I try to take all of my squirrels with head shots. However, sometimes the squirrel doesn't cooperate and a head shot is not presented. Using a properly modified .22 round helps a lot...

Dale53

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    i have some CCI 22 lr ammo , called small game bullet that has a flat nose from the factory . dont know if its still avaliable, but its accurate.
    SGB is the stuff,, small game bullet. accurate in my trials too.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Bub
    Any feed problems in a 10-22 or buckmark?

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar

22 SWC bullet

Remington makes a 22 Lr SWC load. Its called the "Viper" and it has a companion round "YellowJacket" which is a hollowpoint. Both are hypervelocity loads

CCI SGB (small game bullet) also features a flat point solid bullet. Sometimes hard to find but is useful.

Jerry
    Carolina Cast Bullets
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Paco Kelly,

Speaking of his .22 boolit altering tool, I also recall (and found some just the other day in my shop) his lube 'Apache Blue'. It was an excellent lube marketed by The Hanned Line, but they apparently went belly up.

I do wish Paco would find another maker, or sell his patent so we could back to using it. The last time I spoke to anyone online who had some for sale, they wanted an outrageous (think Ebay here) price for it. Like over $150 for 8 Oz? *I don't think so*.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

CCI basically copied the bullet design from the Hanned Line when they offered their Small Game Bullet. I actually prefer the Hanned Line tool as the flat when made ends up with a sharp cornered nose compared to CCI's rounded flat. CCI's SGB is superior to the standard round nose, however, for edible small game.

Paco's new tool will do just fine and has more options for those who like to experiment.

Dale53

If anyone is looking for some .22 barrels to try this with, I've got a package of 3 for sale on the sell & swap forum!

Just a shameless plug!
    "My feeling is this, give him plenty of time, plenty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me. That's all I ask."

Boolit Master

the cci and rem viper are easy just load and shoot
    If you want a full flat run across a flat file one time and its flat

Boolit Buddy
    Made one tonight off a junk marlin barrel. Shoots pretty good from what I can tell, only fired on my indoor 10 yard range so far. Should get to see how they kill critters next weekend. My camp is over run with reds squirrels.
    For me this is a good option because all I normally have is rn match rounds. This gives me the ability to make some hunting rounds if needed out of match stuff.

As a side note, that marlin barrel was some soft. Parted it off like it was brass. Doubt my tool will be good for very long using a file.

Boolit Grand Master

CWME;
    You might want to consider using Kasenit and case hardening the barrel stub. It'll last MUCH longer. It is no trick at all to get decent results:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7626/Product/KASENIT

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    CWME;
    You might want to consider using Kasenit and case hardening the barrel stub. It'll last MUCH longer. It is no trick at all to get decent results:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7626/Product/KASENIT

Dale53
    Thanks for the link Dale. Once they have it in stock I will pick some up.

Boolit Buddy
    A #1 drill bit is .228 and works great for this. You don't need a barrel to make one of these things. Once I wear out the one I have I will make one from some 0-1 tool steel I have on hand.

25 yard Range test this afternoon showed zero change in POI or accuracy with a small and large flat filed on a RN 22LR.

Boolit Grand Master

Paco and D. Rock style tools swage the bullet to a specific diameter and alter the shape of the nose. Filing the nose also alters the shape but also lightens the bullet for more velocity. I used to have a hardened die IIRC it was made by Forster to just file the nose down a bit.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by CWME View Post
    A #1 drill bit is .228 and works great for this. You don't need a barrel to make one of these things. Once I wear out the one I have I will make one from some 0-1 tool steel I have on hand.

25 yard Range test this afternoon showed zero change in POI or accuracy with a small and large flat filed on a RN 22LR.
    that is what I was thinking. set on down firmly on wood, and a swipe with a file, or sandpaper...

you could even harden it for longevity

Boolit Master

Back in the ol days, squirrel hunter's in this area would buy the solid point bullets(cheaper) and take a pocket knife and cut an X on the nose to get better expansion and it worked. The depth of the cut was key though.

Moderator Emeritus

I made 3 tools from 3/4" square stock. IIRC, I measured out the distance fr the flat, drilled the diameter of the brass and reversed it drilling out the rim. Placed it on the bench heated it to a dull cherry color and dumped it into a pop can 2/3 full of oil. If you happen to harden 3 at a time use a larger can as this will cause boiled oil to foam all over the shop floor and stink it up. Cat litter and time are your friends as is safety solvent.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast