Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much invested in Casting

How much invested in Casting

A young engineer type with his wife stopped by today and asked how much I had invested in casting stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,my wife was standing there too,,,,,,,,,my reply..

Well now, . RCBS moulds 50 cents each, SAECO 4 cavity $1.25 RCBS Pro Melt furncace $19.00..so with my Master Caster from Magma Engineering, 18 Magma moulds, 25 Lyman Moulds, 6 SAECO 4 cavity moulds, 10 RCBS moulds, 1200 lls of smelted wheel weights, 500 lbs of 92-2-6 alloy from Midway a 100,000 BTU smelting furnace, 12 7 lb ingot moulds, 20 lbs of fluxing Crisco, 10 lbs of Grebel litter for flux soaking,,,,,,,,,and other stuff,,,,,,,,,,I have a about a $33.00 investment in casting equipment,,,,,,,,,,,,Now,,if you have to spend the same amount at the furniture store as you have bullet casting equipment,,how much do you have invested?
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Boolit Buddy
    good answer with the wife present! I got lucky and married a prison guard so the more rounds and guns we have the bigger her smile gets

Boolit Master
    I couldn't even begin to calculate it. I like YOUR answer.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

My neighbor wants to know if your wife has a sister who is single
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

I don't think about this until tax time comes and then I write off all of my tools that are in my machine shop. It doesn't matter what they make they are tools.

My wife does the taxes but she doesn't know bullet mould from a drill bit, and I HAVE tried to educate her.

I guess she doesn't care. We don't have kids, just two Cats, so I'm having fun while I still can.

Randy

Banned

Around 1200

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah! but I wouldn't touch her with a 10 foot pole!!!

Boolit Master
    In the past many years of having lots of hobbies I have found two things to occur:
    First: it can expand to take all your spare time......and
    Second: it can take any and all spare or perceived spare $$$$$$ you have.

I found a long time ago to never try to add up the costs of something like my guitars, racing motorcycles, racing bicycles, racing sports cars and now shooting BPCR but to just enjoy whatever it is. My wife never asks and I never ask her what she spends on her purses or jewelery or shoes.....

Boolit Master
    There is an old saying "the only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys" Now having said that I started with a lyman 10lb pot, lubrisizer, and 1 mole for the 45-70. when I shuttle off this mortal coil the wife has already told me that she'll lock the door on my toy room and do a lot of internet research on what I have. plus all receipts for firearms are stored. Frank

Boolit Master
    I traded 50 bales for my casting outfit.
    I got 2 pots 1 10 lb and 1 20 lb,about 24 molds,2 lube/sizers 1 star and 1 RCBS,a bunch of lube and many sizer dies,2 number 1 cans of boolits for the 45 acp and 40 S&W and a bunch of other reloading stuff.
    I sell hay for 7.50 per bale.
    All i was looking for was some stuff to cast 45 boolits.I think that I got my one good deal of my lifetime.

Boolit Master
    OH,sense I got into this stuff I have bought 3 molds and some more sizers.
    It can get to be a habbit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44 WCF View Post
    A young engineer type with his wife stopped by today and asked how much I had invested in casting stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,my wife was standing there too,,,,,,,,,my reply..

Well now, . RCBS moulds 50 cents each, SAECO 4 cavity $1.25 RCBS Pro Melt furncace $19.00..so with my Master Caster from Magma Engineering, 18 Magma moulds, 25 Lyman Moulds, 6 SAECO 4 cavity moulds, 10 RCBS moulds, 1200 lls of smelted wheel weights, 500 lbs of 92-2-6 alloy from Midway a 100,000 BTU smelting furnace, 12 7 lb ingot moulds, 20 lbs of fluxing Crisco, 10 lbs of Grebel litter for flux soaking,,,,,,,,,and other stuff,,,,,,,,,,I have a about a $33.00 investment in casting equipment,,,,,,,,,,,,Now,,if you have to spend the same amount at the furniture store as you have bullet casting equipment,,how much do you have invested?
    If you will send me your wife's email I will pay her triple that plus shipping.
    She will be so proud and you can replace those tools and have some left over....

Boolit Grand Master
    I refuse to even ponder the question. I don't thinkof it in terms of money but rather in terms of the enjoyment I get out of it.
    Rifle magazine had an article that contained a quote that sums up my feelings . A cynic is a person who knows the cost of everything but the value of nothing. My casting stuff has more a value than a price. It is my hobby. It is who I am. How can I put a dollar value on that?

Boolit Master
    HI,
    A LOT.
    BUT, I AM STILL SAVING MONEY.
    YOU SEE I LIKE TO SHOOT..........
    A WHOLE LOT.

Provided one is geting a positive ROI --- then how much one has invested is a mute point provided you havn't over extended yourself and are having to decide whether to pay your group buy bills or your morgage --- if you are overspending to the point where you dont have money left to pay your other bills --- then yes you may have a problem --- but otherwise its not a question of investment but rather ROI

Banned

still paid itself off over store bought bullets

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Not nearly enough. I thinkthat tommygirlMT hit the nail on the head, so long as there is food in the pantry and the mortgage is paid, then whatever I spend on casting/shooting is all good.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    I had quite a little invested in casting before I found this site, now the group buys have gotten me addicted and I'm quickly going broke

Boolit Buddy
    I like your answer! Whenever I buy a new gun I always tell her I bought it for her! She snarles and says, "whatever"! Or something like that. I'm getting into casting slowly but it seems to be starting to snowball since I was introduced to this forum!

Boolit Master

Not nearly as much as I've spent on machine tools to make my own molds, so I could save money on molds, which I first bought to save money shooting by making my own bullets!

Now I'm so busy making things I don't have enough time to shoot...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast