WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Accurate off shelf 22 mag? or rebuild?

Boolit Master

Accurate off shelf 22 mag? or rebuild?

Have a Marlin 25M in 22 mag bolt gun from the backwards safety era. Pretty accurate but trigger not so good. What is a "better" off the shelf 22 mag, I'm thinking a Savage or Ruger? OR should I get a trigger and do a bedding job on that gun? Where do I get a trigger for the older marlin 25M?
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master

Talking

The 22mag shoot pretty good but the ammo can be a big problem as to being consistent. I have a custom Cooper in 22Lr and Cooper guarantees the accuracy on all his guns except 22mag because of this. I am sure that bedding and a trigger job will help but I would not expect match grade accuracy and putting money and time into a cheaper gun will not make it's value go up substantially. But it you do the work yourself it will give you some experience and confidence for your next one. Also 22mag and 17mag are about .25 shot and you can reload cheaper then that.

The CZ 22LR and Magnums are some of the most accurate off the shelf rimfires out there. I have 2 of the CZ 22LRs and have shot the 22 and 17 magnums and accuracy is outstanding. The only negative would be some of them could use a little trigger work, but is normally a simple task as a trigger kit can be had for about $15.

As Doc Highwall said, batch to batch consistency with the ammo can be a problem. That is why rimfire benchrest shooters find a lot number they like and buy all of it they can to ensure consistency in matches.
    Gunsmoke4570

Boolit Master

Talking

Also nobody makes match/target ammo in 22mag but I have looked at some of the groups fired with the 17HMR that looked pretty good. I have mentioned that the 22mag and 17HMR are about .25 cents a shot not quite a plinking round when I can shoot two shots with my 308 Win with cast bullets and have greater accuracy and power for less money then one shot of the 22mag or 17HMR. My choice is 22Lr for cheapness or light hand loads for cheep shooting.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    A few years back I got a CZ LUX 22 Mag. A bit of tinkering made the trigger pretty nice. Ten boxes of different ammo provided a pecking order of preference, and luck made it possible to get 15 more boxes of the "best", same lot. The other stuff shot pretty well too. The best does 1.5" for three shots @ 200 yards off a bench in calm conditions. Fortunately all of this happened befor the bozo price inflation era.

Being thrifty, I have a lot left. Don't hesitate if you happen into a good CZ 22 mag bargain. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    Know about the loading and saving. However in this area of Eastern Virginia the use of "centerfire" rifles is very restricted by the different counties. Have a 17 HMR and it is certainly good but looking at using the 22 mag too. Where not restricted to rimfire my groundhog/fur guns are a CZ in .17 REM and a Savage in .17 Fireball(J-bullets only there). I do like my CZ and it's a shooter too. Of course I have my #10s too. LOL Best to all. Bob

MOLON LABE

Boolit Master

I have a Marlin 882SSV and a freind has the CZ

Both of us did a little work on our triggers
    But other than that both are stock

Both will shoot 3/4"-1" at 100 yds

Mine loves the poly tip Rem 22 Mag ammo
    His likes the Fed Prem

Both put a hurt on ground hogs

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

In Remebrance

The Marlin trigger is very simple IIRC. A bit of smoothing and squaring will usually result in a much better trigger.

FWIW- The most accurate 22 Mag I ever shot was a ratty looking old Mossberg. 5 shot one hole groups at 50 yards, 10 shot groups under an inch at 100 if the wind was down. That thing was uuuuuglllllyyyyyy but man did it ever shoot.

Boolit Master
    Little to offer as to an answer to your question but maybe food for thought.
    My favorite 22 mag is a 22 Cooper. It is re loadable so ammo can be adjusted to fit each gun. It will outperform the rim fire version by about 20%. Best of all it is perfect for boolits and a box of 50 can be loaded for about $2.00 even at today's retail price for components. Brass is about $.60 ea but is indestructible. I load mine about 5 times then re anneal the necks. I had an actual count of re loads on a batch of brass and quit counting at 50 about 8 years ago and that brass is still doing well.
    Initial expense to get set up will be higher than buying a 22 mag RF but in the long run especially if you want to shoot it a whole bunch it wont take too long to come out ahead.

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth; In 2008 Outdoor Life rated the Savage Mark II as the most accurate .22 rimfire they have ever tested, including all the big name high dollar guns. They make this same gun in .22 Mag, the 93BTVS. It is stainless steel, heavy barrel, vented thumbhole lam. stock. I can't say I've tried one, but it's high on my wish list.

Boolit Master

If you can find one of the older Mossberg .22 Mags they are very accurate. The older Mossys are under rated I have an old 46m .22LR and it has one of the crispest trigger I've pulled. If you do find one Havlins Sales make a one piece conversion to use regular scope rings using the original side mount screw holes. My friends Mossberg in .22 mag is a little newer (still old) and has regular scope mounts. FB

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Little to offer as to an answer to your question but maybe food for thought.
    My favorite 22 mag is a 22 Cooper. It is re loadable so ammo can be adjusted to fit each gun. It will outperform the rim fire version by about 20%. Best of all it is perfect for boolits and a box of 50 can be loaded for about $2.00 even at today's retail price for components. Brass is about $.60 ea but is indestructible. I load mine about 5 times then re anneal the necks. I had an actual count of re loads on a batch of brass and quit counting at 50 about 8 years ago and that brass is still doing well.
    Initial expense to get set up will be higher than buying a 22 mag RF but in the long run especially if you want to shoot it a whole bunch it wont take too long to come out ahead.
    That sounds like me. I own several 22LR firearms, but not a single 22 Mag. People ask me why I don't have a 22 Mag. and I tell them that I have a 22 Hornet!
    Gunsmoke4570

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I don't often get to say: My CZ above, off a concrete bench, with a Burris 6 X HBR scope gave me a .296 5 shot group in its favorite ammo. Thanks for the chance to say that. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master

If you want a lever gun my Henry will shoot under a half inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards and it would have been one 30 cal hole with 4 shots if not for a flyer that was my fault.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Grand Master

My Browning T-Bolt is plenty accurate. Drop me a PM if you want to get together and shoot it. I shoot at the C2 range (outdoor) below Creeds off Princess Anne.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    The most accurate rimfire rifle I own is a Winchester 9422M. After shooting it with every brand and bullet weight ammunition I could find....I bought a case full of Winchester select 34 gr. HP's. With a 4x scope it shoots considerably better than 1/2" at 50 yds. for 3 shot groups. I use it for squirrels and pest control. (Note I have a Ruger 10/22T, the factory target rifle, that is very good but with standard ammo (not match Eley) it can't match the little lever gun.

In Remembrance
    Check out rimfire central, for making that 25m a slick little rifle.

Boolit Master

Yea what Starmac said Marlin Trigger jobs are pretty easy to do.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

thanks starmac

starmac: Thanks,, went over there, rimfire central, and found a bunch of stickies about doing Marlin triggers. Jeez, i even registered on another board! Got a 4-12X50 BSA in the cabinet that I'm gonna put on the 22 mag of choice. Should be better than that straight 4-X. best to all, Bob
    Last edited by 10 ga; 04-01-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: quoteses and punctuations!?.,

MOLON LABE