Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the Star?

In Remebrance

I use the Lee, just like an upside down Star except I never have to crank on the lube at all!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I use the Lee, just like an upside down Star except I never have to crank on the lube at all!
    The Lee does have all the attributes of the Star except it is a sizer, not a lubrisizer.
    I like the Lee sizers when I need to size down more than a couple thousandths. It does a great job of seating gas checks too. I use it to size down a GB 44 Keith bullet from .435 to .432 Lao my Star doesn't have to work so hard.

Boolit Master

The Star is like using a Dillon 550 vers a single stage press for reloading, if you shoot alot get the Star. ive been useing the Star & Magnma for over 30 years.
    Once you get the rythem & idosyrncies worked out you will be able to do around 1,000 + plane base bullets per hour .

Boolit Master
    From MtGun44
    Folks that insist the Star is the ultimate solution are not really helping the newbies
    Very good point well taken. Thanks Dennis

Boolit Master

I think the difference her is *Paladin* was asking specifically about the Star, not a wide and general question that all the "Star fanboys" just jumped on. In as much I think it is perfectly understandable that the people that own Stars are going to give their honest assements and it will appear that the discussion is heavily slanted to the Star, because that was the question.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have star, RCBS, Lyman 450 - I got on for many years with just the lyman and RCBS - but when producing lots of bullets (competition) is important the star walks away from the competition. I ain't giving up any of my lubesizers.

Boolit Master
    I know that when doing a lot of boolits the star will fare well,but it has a learning curve to it.
    The star will not be going anywhere for a long time it has a useful purpose.I just wished you didn't have to plug and drill out shot to get the lube where you need it. When I am doing all my reloading I don't get in a hurry,it helps get out all those kinks that have accumulated over the day.It's supposed to be fun.
    Just my opinion yours may differ,it's all good.

Boolit Master
    I personally would never recommend someone just starting to get into casting run out and buy a Star. I don't know that I would recommend starting out as I did either. Pan lubing, kake cutter, and a beat (hammer) thru sizer from Lee. I don't know if they even make that stuff anymore. I know some folk "like" pan lubing and all that goes with it but I did it I think twice and said there had to be a better way. I bought a Lyman and sized thousands of boolits with it. After I bought my first Star I gave it (the Lyman) to a relative who was just starting to cast and as far as I know he still has it. When I realized that the Star wouldn't do everything I wanted it to I picked up a Saeco and have been very happy with it.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree that a Lyman or RCBS is better for new caster. I feel the same about progressive presses and 6 cav moulds.
    Newbies need to start with the most simple tools they can and develop the skills to move up.

I would not recommend a Star to any newbie. Heck, I won't even recommend it to anyone who doesn't shoot lots of handgun. The Star is for volume sizing, it is not necessarily "better", just faster.

Brad
    Last edited by btroj; 03-25-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Ttpo

sold all my lyman sizer lube stuff, sold l tumble lube molds have one more to sell .358 siz banger Purhcased Magna Star with Air feed for lube and Star heater. I better like Magna star,

Just to statement on how disgusted i am with lyman type lubing or tumble lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    I think the difference her is *Paladin* was asking specifically about the Star, not a wide and general question that all the "Star fanboys" just jumped on. In as much I think it is perfectly understandable that the people that own Stars are going to give their honest assements and it will appear that the discussion is heavily slanted to the Star, because that was the question.
    Thanks Doby (and to EVERYONE for sharing your knowledge and experience). That was what I was getting at. I knew there was going to be a bias toward Star's, especially with all the reading I've done here. I just didn't know WHY seemingly everyone was in love with the Star, so I wanted to be educated. I have no issue with the cost (I am NOT rich, by any means, but I am patient enough to save up and buy quality). So, if the Star is higher quality and will efficiently lube boolits and do so quicker than the others, it's probably what I will buy. I do like the fact that there is not a top punch required as well. One less thing for me to misplace/lose in the garage.
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Master
    Steve, You won't regret it. dennis

Boolit Master
    A Star is the perfect lube sizer for high volume production. If you shoot IPSC or similar sport and need more than 5,000 rounds a year, the Star is king.

A buddy's Star was instrmental in my starting a boolit business back in the mid 80's to sell 45 boolits to other IPSC shooters. I ended up with three Stars, one with boolet feed and a collator. Even better was the Magma Lube Master. but that would be a bit much for a noob.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master
    SCB,
    " When I realized that the Star wouldn't do everything I wanted it to"

Curious as to what will it not do??
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

I ordered my first Star sizer three weeks ago. I was told then that there was a 3 week backlog. Still no notice that it has shipped. I also missed the $250 price by a couple of days, I had to pay $275 plus shipping which is the current price at Magma.

I picked this unit because I like Bevel Based Bullets and all the other designs will lube the Beveled Base because they have constant pressure systems. The Star has a valve/pump design and only pressurizes the lube to the bullet when it is in postion.

I also like that I can size nose first with a flat punch and the bullets pass right thru and into a bucket. (No double handling.)

Overall it is a much better design in my opinion, and I am a Manufacturing Engineer. I will be sizing 1,000 bullets per sitting, so the speed matters too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    SCB,
    " When I realized that the Star wouldn't do everything I wanted it to"

Curious as to what will it not do??
    Poorly phrased I guess. Perhaps should have been, " When I realized that the Star wouldn't do everything to my satisfaction". I'm referring to sizing pointed bullets.
    Last edited by scb; 03-26-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Ah yes the pointy boolits. Damage to the nose. I fix that by using a short piece of brass to push out the sized boolit before inserting another. Works well but it does slow things down.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Well I found the instructions for the star luber and when I got after it,I had sized and lubed about 250 357 wc in about 40 minutes.
    It sure is for doing a lot of boolits quick.Now to see what dies I need to get for the calibers I load for.

Boolit Master

Paladin - One other thought. If you do get the Star, you may want to consider getting a couple of extra punches (I got mine from Lathesmith) with the locking screw through the nut. This way, when you changing boolits, you can keep the punch with the die (punch already adjusted and locked) and just swap the punch with the die and not have to adjust the punch again. Just my experience. enjoy mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    I just don't understand the big deal with adjusting the punches on the Star. I don't measure anything, I just put it where I think it needs to be and go. Might need a bullet or three to adjust things but not a big deal. I just use some reject bullets for this. Sure seems easier/tater/cheaper than having a bunch of measurements written down or extra punches for specific bullets or little rowels or whatever. It really is not hard at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast