RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Star sizer, question on punches

Boolit Buddy

Star sizer, question on punches

I ordered a star sizer and some dies this afternoon from Magma. I forgot to ask if the punches come with the die or if I needed to order those separately.

Can't imagine they are all that intricate and I could turn one on the lathe but having a factory example would be nice.

So do the factory dies come with the punches? Thanks
    Last edited by CWME; 04-01-2011 at 07:25 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dies do not have anything to do with punches. Bullets are sized nose first so all punches are flat faced. They are more caliber specific than anything. I have 3 I use for everything. A 30, 357, and 44 size, roughly. The 44 does fine for 45 pistol and rifle too.
    The dies are a straight thru affair, no internal stem like a Lyman or RCBS has.
    Look at the instructions you can download from Magma and it will all make more sense.

I run 38's, 9mm's, and 45's thru my Star. So far I have used the standard punch that came with my Star when i ordered it with my .358" sizer die. The smaller punch works just fine with the larger 45ACP bullets and .452" sizer die.

Boolit Master

It will come with a punch from Magma kind of one size fits all thing since sizing nose first. If seating gas checks I like a punch close to boolit diameter. FB

For what it's worth

SURE YOU CAN DO THEM ON A LATHE.....THREAD IS NON STANDARD.............I THINK IT'S ...............1/2X 27 TPI???????? DON'T REMEMBER FOR SURE...........CUPTER

Boolit Buddy
    That is what I needed to know, the machine comes with one for me to get started. Thanks guys!

I am going to be sizing the Saeco #315s with GC so it sounds like I will want to make a 30 cal punch. I have some O-1 tool steel in half inch I believe. Thanks for the thread pitch Cupter. Will have to see if my lathe can cut that thread.

I also got a .452 for my 45s so that will get my feet wet and an idea of how the whole thing works while I make a 30 cal punch.

Excited to finally get a Star. I still have my lymans and my RCBS for small batches of odd stuff but this should speed up the large volume boolits I like to shoot.

ADMIN

I used the standard top punch until recently.
    I bought some TPs from Lathesmith. Got some lock nuts as well.
    For each caliber I size, I have a matching TP and die. The TP has a lock nut on it so I can change calibers and start sizing in under 2 mins
    No measuring, no adjustments.

i ordered my magan star punches from LatheSmith one of our vendor sponsors. How one des come with the press. Found out when the machinre arrive that it had a punch. OH well

Boolit Master
    Check you lathe first for that thread, a lot of machines aren't able cut it. I use a 1/2"-27 die to cut mine, I use 12L14 material, nice finish and easy to thread with a die. MSC or McMaster-Carr will have them.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    Check you lathe first for that thread, a lot of machines aren't able cut it. I use a 1/2"-27 die to cut mine, I use 12L14 material, nice finish and easy to thread with a die. MSC or McMaster-Carr will have them.
    I have one of the 10" Grizzly China models so it may not cut it. Thanks for the heads up on the location of a die for when I get frustrated with threading

I have some 12L14 but it is 1 1/4 dia