RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why the Star?

Boolit Bub

OK I'll be the "heretic"!

Star lube/sizers are very good tools. I know, I used them for about 25 years.

They are also very expensive. The cost is about $250.00 for the basic machine plus $35.00 to $40.00 for a caliber conversion. You will also need several top punches. Caliber conversions are at best a PITA.

ALso remember, if you shoot several different type of, say 358 bullets, you may have to change the BB shot to plug different holes. Or if you have a really bastard size lube groove spacing, you may need another cusustom made die.

A heater is almost a must have, unless you use a soft lube. The inexpensive Lyman works OK, but the Magma Star is much better. The Lyman has no thermostat, it just gets hotter and hotter. The Magma Star has a thermostat.

Also, reloading the lube supply is also a PITA. You need to run the lube tube nearly dry, unscrew the cap, flip cap over, thread on to lube plunger. Then if using hard lube apply heat to pull the plunger.

I sold all my Star stuff on this board for approximately $700.00. Replaced it all with Lee stuff and Lars XLOX for about $150.00. My current set-up is so much faster and easier to use than the Star, even though I lube my bullets before and after sizing, I would never go back.

OK, I have my helmet on and am headed for the celler, bombs away!

Jerry

Boolit Grand Master
    No flames from me Jerry. You are using what fits your needs. What is complain about?
    I won't be seeking my Star anytime soon but that only means we have different needs/desires. It certainly doesn't mean I intend to flame you.
    I think people need to find a lube /sizing system that fits their needs. I have no intention of ever pan lubing but for those who want to- go for it.
    We get too hung up on what the "best" is even though best is a word that means different things to different people.

Brad

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I just don't understand the big deal with adjusting the punches on the Star. I don't measure anything, I just put it where I think it needs to be and go. Might need a bullet or three to adjust things but not a big deal. I just use some reject bullets for this. Sure seems easier/tater/cheaper than having a bunch of measurements written down or extra punches for specific bullets or little rowels or whatever. It really is not hard at all.
    Same for me. I don't have to measure too much. Get it in the ball park, and run a few bullets through to tweak it. (But a +1 for Lathesmith and the punch nut / set screw. Once the punch nut is set...that bullet configuration is set. Never have to fiddle with it again.)
    Jon

Star/magma

I pan lubed for 25 plus years. I now have a Magma and a Star. I will never look back.
    I didn't like the pan lube gunking up my reloading dies, my fingers, and the firearms or the smell.
    my 2 cents
    Steve

Boolit Master

Star sizer

I started out with a Lyman 450 and used it since 1976. About a year ago an old friend told me he had one of the old Star lubrisizers that he could never get to going just right. He had bought it for a good price at a gun show in Columbus, Ohio when the Ohio Gun Collectors Associatioin was held in the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. That would have been in the late 1980s. He sold it to me along with all the dies for
    $150, which was far more than what he paid for the thing.

I printed the instructions/manual for the Star off the Magma site and got to work. I could see the disadvantages of the Lyman 450 right off, while I'm not blind to the limitations of the Star. My biggest gripe with the Star is when I'm trying to lube pointed spitzer boolits - especially ones with gas checks. There's that dent in the base of the gas check, though I'm sure its only a visual thing, and then there is the damage to the bullet nose unless I'm usuing really hard alloy. Still working on that one.

Anyway, I got rid of the Lyman 450 and couldn't be happier, problems with the Star notwithstanding. 'Tuck

Boolit Master
    Paladin, Im glad you asked the question because I too am new to casting and looking for something with more options. Pan lubing doesn't bother me but I wouldn't mind something faster and the star looks to fill that bill.

The biggest plus that I see is more flexibility in lube selection. With pan lubing you can be a bit limited in lube selection based on how well you can get them out of the cake. I know you can use a harder lube with a cake cutter, but why bother when you can size and lube in one step and not have to bother.

So what is the startup cost for a Star? I know they cost $275 but what all do you need besides the the actual lubesizer to get started and what is the total cost? I'd be looking at just .45 to get started since that's the only thing I shoot in volume.

Star Lubrisizer

If you buy a new sizer from Magma, they send along one tube of lube of your choice..If you use hard lube you will need a heater of some sort.. you will also need is a sizing die...Chris (lathesmith) makes nice dies.Look in the vendor section.
    Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123