Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What knives do you carry everyday?

Benchmade Infidel, when I am out and about and a SOG flash if im going into town.

Boolit Master

Here is my collection of everyday knives. Many of you will laugh but I walk through security scans with out a hitch. The one thing that the war taught me was simplicity beats high tech any day of the week when it comes to dealing with isolated threats.

From left to right: A 3.5 inch bladed knife worn in a sheath about the neck, when hidden under a shirt it virtually disappears. Next is a 4.5 inch bladed knife that fits nicely in the boot or can be worn on the belt if desired. The third is a nearly 4 inch blade that I most often wear on my belt. Fourth, is a Caddo Culture style knife, that I pack in my back pocket covered by my wallet, and lastly is just a 4 inch blade that I drop in my front pocket, especially if I am going to the airport. No one thinks about an old Indian artifact carried as a good luck charm. It goes in the basket buried under keys, change and pocket lint.

Not shown, simply because I don't have a photo of it and am too lazy to take one is my stone bladed hunting knife that I use for white tail deer. It has a 3.5 inch blade on it. Like all of these knives shown it is razor sharp, the difference being is that I have gutted, skinned, quartered, and de-boned 5 large deer with it and I have yet to sharpen it since it was first made. Try that with a Buck, Greber, CRKT, or any other steal knife.

The disadvantages of them are the blades break easily if you use them to pry, or cut anything that a knife is not suppose to cut. They also break if you try to use them as a screwdriver. All of my children get a stone bladed knife for their first knife. When they learn how to use it with out dulling or breaking it then I give them one made out of steel. It teaches them rather quickly what not to do with a knife. My seven year old has had and used his current stone knife for nearly a year now. The other day I caught him whittling on some wood, and he was doing a dang good job for a 7 year old.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Far from laughing Boerrancher, I am impressed with not only the injinuity (pun intended) , but the skill to make such usable knives. Any fool can knock out a bit of an edge on a piece of steel, ( hell, I do that myself) but to make that from a hunk of rock is an acomplished art.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Buddy
    A SOG 2 inch knife on my key chain all the time except at the airport, theme park or courthouse.
    Often I have a Spyderco Harpie in my pocket or Swiss Army rescue or something else for the purpose of the day.

Boerrancher Those stone knives are awesome.
    I would like to read about what stone you use and about how you make them.
    Last edited by coopieclan; 04-10-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: I wanted to mention about the stone blades.

Boolit Buddy
    A very old german folder with bone scales and a blade that takes an absolutely scary sharp edge. If not that knife, then a (chinese!) stockman that takes a good edge and feels right. For hunting, a 2050 Kershaw, or a large single blade schrade old timer folder (US made)

Boolit Master

Thank you both for the compliments Von Gruff and Coopieclan.

All of the blades are made from heat treated Chert from various locations. They are rough flaked with a hammer stone, and then finished up with a whitetail deer antler billet, and antler tine pressure flaker. Once the blades are done they are secured to a bone or antler handle with either pine pitch glue or hide paste glue. Once that is dry, they are wrapped with either raw hide and coated again with hide paste and I final wrapping of leather cordage to protect the rawhide and hide paste.

If the blade was attached with a pine pitch glue, it is wrapped with a natural fiber cordage. When a blade is properly secured with pine pitch glue it really doesn't need a wrapping if it is done properly and the glue was made properly. Many of the ancient knife blades found have no hafting notches on them because they were hafted with pine pitch glue or an asphaltum based adhesive that like pine pitch glue softens when it is heated and hardens to nearly a rock like state.

For the longest time I doubted the effectiveness of stone tools and weapons until I started making them and using them. When used properly I will put a well made stone tool against a steel one any day. Not saying that stone is better in all applications but on non-man made, natural materials it is hard to beat.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Moderator Emeritus

Nice work Joe, It's good to see some of those projects.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Well done Boerrancher.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Boerrancher,

Nice work and I too am glad you are back to posting.

In Remembrance

Those are some nice looking knives you have there Boerrancher.
    I never was much for having stuff in my front pockets so I don't carry a knife as often as I should. When I do, I carry a Schrade Stockman like Combat Diver's or a single blade Gerber lock back that I got from the BIL as a wedding gift.

Boolit Master

Cold Steel Voyager Tanto, full Seratted blade

Boolit Master
    Leatherman Wave. Son got it for my B day. I wanted one before I kick the bucket.Was on my "bucket list"

Boolit Master

Shrade Old Timer Muskrat in carbon steel.

Boolit Grand Master

Boerancher is a realist! We need more of them!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Spyderco Police Model. Just melts and disappears in the corner of my pocket. Love it.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Master

Benchmade Mel Pardue Auto-Opener 3550, carried everyday.
    Last edited by Doby45; 05-20-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I guess I am the only one that carries a folder with replaceable utility knife blades. I keep a 50 pack of blades in the desk, in the truck, in the tool box, in my drill case. I abuse my knife so much because it is not a knife but a multiuse tool.

I use to carry some good knives, but I abused them so much, I went to the replaceable blade. I will often change out the blade when the second side weears just a little so I generally keep one side unused for when I need a sharp knife.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    Benchmade Mel Pardue Auto-Opener, carried everyday.
    Same here but mine is a 551. I also carry a Spyderco SS Delica at more formal occasions.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Forgot to add the Nimravus in the "BOB". Perfect "Do it All" blade I have right now. Looking into a parang style for general chopping for joints and saplings. Any thing larger will be a sturdy ax.

Looking for the last, any recomendations? Budget minded here.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Buck 110

I have carried this buck since i was 18 or so a friend made the quick draw knife shealth for me and then taught me how to make my own ... its hard to beet a buck 110
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 064.jpg   Picture 061.jpg   Picture 062.jpg   Picture 063.jpg  
    Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast