RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: $ 50.00 Star

Boolit Master

$ 50.00 Star

Found this at the gun show today. Needs more cleaning but best i can tell everything works fine except on thing.Will get to that in a moment.
    I know nothing about Star machines so any help or info. will be more than welcome.
    Everything seems tight,no play any where that i thought there should not be any.
    Came with one die .358 which is good for me and top punch.
    Has a little old lube in it but i can see the bottom of the tube.
    No cracks that i can fine so seems to be solid.

The picture that shows the spring and the presure bolt is where i think i have the problem.I assume that the spring assembly should screw into the bottom of the presure adjusting rod.If so the threads are striped. Not sure that that would affect the operation just the remaval of the spring assembly when adding lube.If so i can get around that in a couple of ways.
    Any input from you guys will be appericated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0934.JPG   IMG_0935.JPG   IMG_0936.JPG   IMG_0937.JPG   IMG_0938.JPG  

Boolit Buddy
    Does not look like anything is wrong with the lube spring and rod. The upper end of threaded rod with the twist handle removed is threaded on the lube spring to pull it out of the lube housing to add lube. The open end (bottom of the theaded rod) just pushes against the lube spring. You got a good deal.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Ronbo.Shows what i know about star sizers.
    You know i was looking at the top of the rod and was wondering why it was threaded.
    Thanks i feel better.
    Dwight

Boolit Master
    Any way of knowing how old it my be? Was made in San Diego,Ca.

Boolit Master
    I put a little lube in her and she works like a charm.I think i ned to plug some holes to keep the lube from lubing my crimp grove.Also geeting a little on the nose.
    Best 50.00 bucks i ever spent. Well almost anyway.
    Dwight

Boolit Master
    The others are mistaken!! Its a total peace of junk. It will never work.
    But fortunately i need a new boat anchor. I will take it off of your hands for 25$ if you pay the shipping.
    GOOD find.

Boolit Grand Master

Most of us with Star lube/sizers use a flat bottomed nose punch and lube/size the bullets nose first. You will need to adjust the nose punch up and down until you get the bullet being sized positioned exactly correct before the lube is placed correctly on the sized bullet.

Magma Engineering now manufactures the Star lube/sizer. Here is their manual of operation:

http://magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

Carefully read this for best results (a couple of times, if necessary).

The best luber/sizer available, in my Not So Humble Opinion. You did GOOD!

NOTE: Tip for removing sizing dies. Heat the base of the unit with a hair dryer or heat gun. You do NOT want it boiling hot, just warm - say 120 degrees. It softens the lube and makes it MUCH easier to withdraw the spring ass'y for replacing lube stick.

I much prefer using the die withdrawal tool instead of trying to drive it out with a hammer and punch. It is easier on the luber/sizer (I would have bad dreams about fracturing the tool body by driving the die out).

I use Lars White Label Carnauba Red. It requires heat to run through the Star but works extremely well and is quite reasonable in cost. If you don't want to use heat, then one of his softer lubes also works very well.

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 03-20-2011 at 12:28 PM.

If I Didn't have one would offer to double your money!!!: OK I will pay the shipping Clint

Boolit Master

Wow DH, nice find! No doubt you "stole" that Star! Soak it up buddy, cause those kinda deals don't happen often! -- Except for a couple of minor parts, that Star will out live you! Enjoy.

I love mine, I set it up right next to my Dillon 550 and I lube each boolit and immediatly seat in the cartridge. Keeps the lube mess to a minimum. There are a lot of great home made innovations that guys on this site have done with boolit feed, handles (Lathesmith here has great dies and a super handle for sale, he is great to deal with!) I made boolit feed tube extensions out of CPVC pipe ( I think I used 1/2" OD ) Great score!
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Boolit Master
    Between doing other things,honey dues, i have benn working with it a litte.Got it adjusted to lube all three of my current .357 bullets. I am sure that it has had a lot of use but other than some missing paint and a little rust,which cleaned up nicely,i can not fine one thing wrong with it.It is still tight and operates like it is on bearings.

Looked on the Magna site and the cost of a die and punch was more than what i paid for the whole machine with die and punch plus it was one that i can use.

I was really shocked when i saw it and more so when he told me the price.No brainer. Bought a Saeco when i first started,did not want to spend what they asked for the star, it is a good machine
    but i am really liking this Star.Oh well live and learn.

Dale53 thanks for the link.

Dwight

Boolit Master

DW,

Bulltipper has good advice about the dies. Forget Magma, and go with Lathesmith. Dies are cheaper, and work better (IMO)....and his L handle is a good option and not expensive.
    Jon

Boolit Master
    Lathsmith has already done some die work for me and it was excellent.
    Will be contacting him in the near future.
    Thanks
    Dwight

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Go to Magma's forum and down load all the info you need. The entire manual is available. The dies may be removed with out the tool but it is much easier to have one. Magma will sell you one. The washer on the end of your spring is called the Hycar and is what holds the lube and pushes it down the tube. I would install a new one as they are cheap and the heart of the machine. How about you coming to Louisiana and staying for a visit as I need some of your good fortune to rub off on me.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master
    Dwight,

Now you've quit reporting the facts and gone to gloating! Great find and good on ya!

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    You stole it. Now you're gonna have to sneak up on the mirror to shave.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Most of us with Star lube/sizers use a flat bottomed nose punch and lube/size the bullets nose first. You will need to adjust the nose punch up and down until you get the bullet being sized positioned exactly correct before the lube is placed correctly on the sized bullet.

Magma Engineering now manufactures the Star lube/sizer. Here is their manual of operation:

http://magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

Carefully read this for best results (a couple of times, if necessary).

The best luber/sizer available, in my Not So Humble Opinion. You did GOOD!

NOTE: Tip for removing sizing dies. Heat the base of the unit with a hair dryer or heat gun. You do NOT want it boiling hot, just warm - say 120 degrees. It softens the lube and makes it MUCH easier to withdraw the spring ass'y for replacing lube stick.

I much prefer using the die withdrawal tool instead of trying to drive it out with a hammer and punch. It is easier on the luber/sizer (I would have bad dreams about fracturing the tool body by driving the die out).

I use Lars White Label Carnauba Red. It requires heat to run through the Star but works extremely well and is quite reasonable in cost. If you don't want to use heat, then one of his softer lubes also works very well.

Dale53
    Magma sells the die removal tool for dirt cheap. Buy one, you won't regret it.